Author Topic: My experience with BG1Tutu, help?  (Read 4485 times)

AEI

My experience with BG1Tutu, help?
« on: April 11, 2005, 12:43:09 PM »
Alright. I got tutu working, but there were problems during installation.  1) There were several files it couldn't find, so during the installation/conversion it skipped them.  Not a lot, but about 10% or so were missing.  Ok, so that was like a bad omen.  2) The next step is run the tutufix pack, so I did that.  There were errors.  I couldn't install the core bug fixes because I was missing something called "Marcell.CRE".  Strange.  I was able to install some of the other fixes though.  Swell.

Anyway, after that I went ahead and ran bgmain.exe as you're suppose to do.  Ran well. Everything looks and sounds great.  Impressive.  However, I sincerely doubt the stability of it all considering the earlier problems I had during the installation. 

Oh, and apparently I can forget about loading my old saved games from BG ... was hoping I'd be able to.

Don't know why I had those errors during installation. Did everything exactly like I was instructed.  Of course, it wasn't completely clear on what versions I was suppose to work with but I used the latest patches. Would've been nice if the readme said exactly.

Offline Caswallon

• Telvanni Archmagister
  • Planewalker
    • BG Forum
Re: My experience with BG1Tutu, help?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
Can't say anything about the Fixpack issue...
But most of the errors of Tutu are nothing to worry about. The Tutu conversion is an automated process; it looks for every possible resource to process, which needn't be actually available. If not, you get an error message.
This has two consequences: first, the conversion is complete when it has reached 54%; second, it's harder to tell the real errors from the normal ones. ;)
So - if your log file says something about "54% converted", you're fine.
Man's Mystery
Man is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss.
This lies beyond our comprehension - why do you not despair?
--Spirit of the Daedra--

AEI

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 02:04:14 PM »
My log file says:

Converted 8909/16694 = 53%

Still ok?   ;D

AEI

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 09:49:41 PM »
Ok, I got it to 54% after I copied a needed file from my Tostc CD.  The culprit was AREA1000.bif.

Nevertheless, I still get the same error with the core bug fixes:

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [_MARCEL.CRE] not found in KEY file:
   [./chitin.key]
Stopping installation because of error.
Stopping installation because of error.

So... give up?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 05:21:52 AM »
A quick checklist: :)

- Do you have TotSC?

- Did you do a "full" install of BG1? (= "custom" with all boxes ticked, answer should be yes).

- Did you install Dudleyfixes (answer should be no)?

- Are your games fully patched?

- Are you missing any files from Ghreyfain's Complete .BIF thread?

The error message you've got means a file is missing that should be there, suggesting a problem in your installation (probably from your BG1 discs). Answering the questions should help us track it down faster. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

AEI

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 10:24:35 AM »
Well, here's the thing...

A quick checklist: :)

- Do you have TotSC?

Yes

- Did you do a "full" install of BG1? (= "custom" with all boxes ticked, answer should be yes). 

I had to do this recently, so yes.

- Did you install Dudleyfixes (answer should be no)?

No

- Are your games fully patched?

Far as I know. Instructions don't say what's needed exactly.  For BG I have 1.3.5521 and for BGII I have 2.5.26498

- Are you missing any files from Ghreyfain's Complete .BIF thread?

Not according to Carfesh's program.

The error message you've got means a file is missing that should be there, suggesting a problem in your installation (probably from your BG1 discs). Answering the questions should help us track it down faster. :)

I hope so.  At this point, I have no idea.

AEI

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 02:31:42 PM »
BTW, I've noticed there are two patch versions out there for BG floating around: 1.3.5521 and 1.3.5512.  The Bioware site has 1.3.5512, but then I've found no-cd patches only for 1.3.5521 (which is what I was originally using, and I think I got that patch from the interplay site when it was up).

If anyone can assist me with how to get tutufix working properly please email me.  I heard this project was abanonded by the author anyway, so I guess that explains the lack of support in this forum.

Since I can't get tutufix to run properly, I don't want to risk playing through the game. Unfortunate that I've spent all this time without getting it to work.  I'm probably just going to go back to the original BG, and finish the game I was playing; at least I know it's stable.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 07:15:30 PM »
It hasn't been abandoned.  In fact, it's had something of a renaissance lately, with a few new mods released, a bunch of fixpacks, and I'm confident to say that it's in a stable, playable state, except for minor bugfixes and tweaks that need doing.  And that's sort of why we can't help you much.  Your problem's just, well, baffling.
Earn Money Sleeping.

AEI

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 10:48:02 PM »
I'm not surprised to hear you say that. My luck isn't the greatest usually. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's something going on that's totally beyond the realm of comphrehension.  Or maybe it's just an unusual bug.  Well *sigh* thanks for your response.  I'll live.

Offline Caswallon

• Telvanni Archmagister
  • Planewalker
    • BG Forum
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 05:10:09 AM »
Hmm, well, I'd not exactly recommend it if you can help it, but Tutu's mostly playable without the Fixpack. There's nothing really game-stopping that can't be solved (umm... or did I forget something?)

_MARCEL is some hostile mage named Marcellus - I don't remember off the top off my head where he's supposed to show up. That the fixpack would balk at some random file like that one is, like Ghrey said, not really its usual behaviour...
Man's Mystery
Man is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss.
This lies beyond our comprehension - why do you not despair?
--Spirit of the Daedra--

Salk

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 12:19:28 AM »
Perhaps it won't help you, AEI but try installing again everything using the patch version 1.3.5512 instead of the one you have actually installed. The latter might be source of some problems...Good luck!  :pirate

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: