Author Topic: Sense of continuity  (Read 2852 times)

Salk

Sense of continuity
« on: March 22, 2005, 01:12:13 AM »
Hello, Echon!

I read carefully your FAQ at the Mod's homepage and I know that you're not gonna release a similar Mod for Baldur's Gate 2. I do believe that the sense of continuity in the game's saga is most important and I intend to take my characters (all six because I play pseudo-multiplayer, creating all characters in my party) along to the next installement (Throne of Bhaal) once and if I can manage Tales of the Sword Coast.

Losing the modifications you bring in with your Mod would definitely be a turn off when I find my same characters playing according to different rules again. Perhaps you can understand what I mean...

I keep your Mod in the highest esteem and I do believe it is a must for P&P fans like I am. Therefore I ask you if it could be possible for one of your collaborators, in a far future perhaps, to adapt some vital parts of this Mod even for the sequel because it would be really bad to be able to find Composite Long Bows again, to have Poison's effect become turn-based again, to have the Spells list go back to its original and so forth...All your modifications are important and should not really be wasted but preciously brought forward to complete an adventure that, in my opinion, is just divided in First and Second Half and that can't be played under different rules.

Thank you very much, Echon!  :-yin

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: Sense of continuity
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 04:05:04 AM »
I understand why it is desirable to play through both games using the same rules but making sure that is going to be possible is not at the top of my list of priorities. Keeping in mind how much time I have spend to get this far with The Fields of the Dead is not actually encouraging when I imagine how much additional time BG2 would require.

-Echon

Salk

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 08:53:22 AM »
I am sure it must have been a tough job but I am also sure your results are giving you much satisfaction. I am looking forward mostly to the AI implementation which was not so smart in Bioware's original. I am sure it made you sweat to implement a smarter behaviour for so many creatures but, for instance, many of these same creatures are present also in Baldur's Gate 2 and their AI routine should be the same, I presume. Of course there would be many more NPCs to deal with, I realize...How long have you been working on the Fields of the Dead, Echon ?

Although adapting the Fields of the Dead to Baldur's Gate 2 is not in your top list, do you still think it's possible to do such a thing ? I mean...Do you think there would be some technical problems to port the Fields of Dead rules/AI modifications to Throne of Bhaal ?

Thanks again for your brilliant idea of making this Mod for us all!

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 09:37:23 AM »
On 17th April I have been working on this mod for two years.

To be honest I do not see FotD being ported to BG2. While the two games share some creatures there are many new ones that would need to have AI written for them, such as dragons, beholders, demons, devils and so on. All NPCs in SoA and ToB would require new and unique scripts and now I am only talking about the AI. There would be AD&D adjustments to just about everything, new spells, items, creatures, kits and so on and as you can see it quickly becomes a massive project.

-Echon

Salk

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 10:14:56 AM »
Really my compliments for bringing on your project for two years. And I realize it would be extremely hard to port FotD to Baldur's Gate 2. It would be almost like writing it from scratch, it's true. But it's also true there are no technical problems as what you have been modifying are parameters, AI, rules in general that are also present in Baldur's Gate 2. My (impossible) dream is to have FotD for TuTu and Baldur's Gate 2, one day.

Not likely, maybe. But *at least* dreaming is cheap...Hälsningar från Sverige, Echon!  ;)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: