Author Topic: WeiDU Manger?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline 5th_horseman

• Planewalker
WeiDU Manger?
« on: March 16, 2005, 02:16:21 PM »
Consider me a total newbie, I've got some questions and ideas.

1/ Is there a GUI for WeiDU installer?

The reason I ask is I was thinking of a "Mod Manger" a program and mod directory added to BG2 root directory. Unzip the mod into the directory and run the program, it shows what mods and compoenents "ARE" installed and what mods and compoenents are "TO" installed. Just select and deselect press "GO"!

2/ Is there a way to auto-check compatability of various mods?

WeiDU backups files replaced, logs what mods and compoenents "ARE" installed. Can a tp2 file be written to check a mod "TO" be installed against the backups of earlier installed mods for possible overwrites and produce a debug file so you can check indivdual files? If such a thing can be done, could it be incorparated in the above?

3/ Is there a standard format of layout of tp2 files?

I've noticed the mods come in various degrees style, it appears to be related to the experiance of the modder. Is it possible to post a documented example of tp2 file showing a structured format layout, cut and paste fill in the blanks example of commonily used code (eg. this block inserts dialog, that block does such and such, and so on.), documentation on what should go in the blanks. (eg this entry is X, and  it's in X.dlg/tra/?  or whatever it is that can go in that particular blank and where that can be found?) An example of this kind would promote a unifrom standard and improve many first time mods.

4? Is there a database for Mods that list the compoenents of the the indivdual mods?

I ask because I've had a number of mods I've installed, having checked the read-me's for incompatablilty, installed compenents to find that they have over other files previous mods have installed. These have been mainily AD2  in various tweaks and item and dialogs for various non-joinable npc's.

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
Re: WeiDU Manger?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 02:42:57 PM »
1) Not to my knowledge.

2) Most WeiDU mods are compatible with each other.  The way WeiDU works is it backups files and then patches the originals.  So when you uninstall that mod it restores the backups.

3) Not really.  Its all personal preference.  I tend to do the filetypes alphabetically (with IDS patching at the start though).

4) Ermm... not sure what you mean.  If they are WeiDU mods and both change a particular dialogue file, say, then they will work nicely together...
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline igi

• IESDP Guardian
  • Planewalker
  • IESDP Guardian
Re: WeiDU Manger?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 04:05:11 PM »
1) I think Baronius made something like this, over at the BlackWyrm (the webpage is currently offline I think, while they switch servers).

2) This is possible, but more effort than it's worth, IMO.

3) Modders evolve their own tp2 style (or steal someone else's) from experience.

4) There is no such database. You just have to read the readme, take note of what's compatible with what, and remember weidu does not guarentee compatibility between mods (even if both mods are distributed using weidu).
NPC: Arg || Galoomp || Thash
Mods: Dark Heart of the Xvart || GbG
Tweak Pack: iiTweak

mcwrench.com
mcwrench.com forums

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: