Author Topic: Finch, a new NPC for BG1 (Tutu, BGT, BG:EE, EET), is here!  (Read 76497 times)

Offline Graoumf

• Planewalker
Re: Finch, a new NPC for Tutu, is here!
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2007, 06:17:23 PM »
Thanks !! :D

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2007, 06:34:10 AM »
Finch Fan Art: Galsic made this lovely picture.

Offline BelgarathMTH

• Planewalker
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2007, 12:35:45 AM »
Wow, nobody's posted here since August 2007?

Anyway, it's November 2007, and I'm playing Tutu with and loving Finch.
"ooh, she's only like, my favoritest NPC, eveerrr! Let's all use our quiet voices!"

I wanted to thank her creator, and I couldn't find anywhere else to do it but here. Are you still out there, Finch's creator?

Offline Briton

• Planewalker
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2007, 11:18:49 AM »
Wow, nobody's posted here since August 2007?

Well this is the second within a month! :) This mod is great and in particular the voice acting is extremely good. I think Finch is going to be in my party for a long time. Thanks Bons for a very interesting  NPC.

Offline The Angry Druid

• Planewalker
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2008, 09:41:57 PM »
I had a noobie Finch question.

I noticed she has an active SA button, but nothing when you click on it.

Is there supposed to be a SA there at Level 1, or does she get one later?

Or is there a problem with my install (I hope not).

Thanks. Sorry for the noobiism.

PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2008, 04:53:50 PM »

This is an excellent mod and blends seamlessly in with the BG1 NPC Project NPCs.
Didn't really like Finch in the beginning, but she has definitely grown on me and is definitely my favourite BG1 NPC. She's not much of a fighter compared to Branwen, but her ability to ID things and carry more scrolls is nice. And I like the fact that she has lots of interjections.

When playing with the BG1 NPCs Project, other NPCs like Mur'Neth and Indira feels to unfinished, especially indira who never makes a comment after avenging her dead comrades.

Offline The Angry Druid

• Planewalker
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2008, 05:37:24 PM »
Any update on the Special Ability thing?

Does she get it later or should it be there at Level 1?

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2008, 08:01:40 AM »
Any update on the Special Ability thing?

Does she get it later or should it be there at Level 1?

I noticed that no one has answered your question here or in the other thread. I decided to take a look at this. It appears that level 1 and level 4 of Finch have the priest spell shillelagh as a known innate. Whereas the level 2 version of Finch has the priest spell shillelagh as a known priest spell. I would assume that there was an oversight in levels 1 and 4 but I could be mistaken.

Are you saying that, finch has the innate button but nothing happens? This would be because she is not assigned any innate abilities even though there is a priest spell mistakenly known as an innate on two of her three levels. If you happened to pick up her level 2 version, you would probably not have noticed anything odd.

I do not know if the author is still active and updating finch. On your local copy you could use DLTCEP to modify the sufinch1 and sufinch4 files to set the sppr110 shillelagh as a known priest spell rather than innate. You'd then be able to use that spell from your priest book as I believe was intended.
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

Offline The Angry Druid

• Planewalker
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2008, 07:02:23 PM »
I noticed that no one has answered your question here or in the other thread. I decided to take a look at this. It appears that level 1 and level 4 of Finch have the priest spell shillelagh as a known innate. Whereas the level 2 version of Finch has the priest spell shillelagh as a known priest spell. I would assume that there was an oversight in levels 1 and 4 but I could be mistaken.

Are you saying that, finch has the innate button but nothing happens? This would be because she is not assigned any innate abilities even though there is a priest spell mistakenly known as an innate on two of her three levels. If you happened to pick up her level 2 version, you would probably not have noticed anything odd.

I do not know if the author is still active and updating finch. On your local copy you could use DLTCEP to modify the sufinch1 and sufinch4 files to set the sppr110 shillelagh as a known priest spell rather than innate. You'd then be able to use that spell from your priest book as I believe was intended.
[/quote]

Yes, I just didn't know which way the error was. She has an active SA button, but nothing appears when you click on it.

I thought maybe she got a SA after completing her quest or something. Or was supposed to get it at level 1 and I had some quirky error. Or there was some pseudo Deneir priest power she was supposed to get.

Thanks for the report, I can just Shadowkeeper it for the fix.

She's level 2 now and it still persists.

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
She's level 2 now and it still persists.
It will persist if you met her with a low enough level that she would spawn with the level one. You'd have to enter the Red Sheaf Inn (for the first time) with the right amount of experience for Finch to spawn at level two to get the correct version.

My working mods:

Offline hidrogeno

• Newbotron
  • Planewalker
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2008, 11:59:10 PM »
Just gotta say that Finch is amaaaazing. Her voicing is a blast and her interjections have just the right amount of quirky. I dread the days that I have to ride through SoA and ToB without her. I think she's one of my favorite NPCs out of all Baldur's Gate, canon or otherwise. In fact, at the moment I can't quite summon to my mind any NPC I enjoy more than her. Screw Branwen and Jaheira (Yeslick has a special place in my heart, though), Finch for the win!

Offline The Angry Druid

• Planewalker
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2008, 04:19:57 PM »
Noob question here in general:

I noticed the newer Tutu/Mod clerics (Finch/Gavin) don't have entangle, but the original game clerics (Branwen, Viconia, etc) do have it.

Is this just an oversight by the Mod creators? Or did they not think to include Entangle as it is really a Druid spell anyway.

Just saying, either ALL clerics should have it or none should.

I'm going to Shadowkeeper it, any suggestions on which way to go?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2008, 12:27:45 AM »
The way it is in the original game, I believe - add the spell.

That's the difference between BG1 and BG2, I guess - BG1 allows clerics to have it, BG2 doesn't.

Offline mouser9169

• Planewalker
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »
Wow, great mod!!!

Edit: moved rest of post to it's own thread as it is a specific question.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:56:17 PM by mouser9169 »

Dirty Uncle Bertie

« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2009, 10:57:24 AM »
plainab, would you be so kind as to host the fixed files on your website?  And are you also able to provide a fix for the Firebeard book quest in Beregost, as mentioned in this thread - http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,25725.0.html

Since the mod author appears to be inactive, I'd very much appreciate a community-provided fix for these issues, and you seem to know what you're doing.

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2009, 02:45:57 PM »
plainab, would you be so kind as to host the fixed files on your website?  And are you also able to provide a fix for the Firebeard book quest in Beregost, as mentioned in this thread - http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,25725.0.html

Since the mod author appears to be inactive, I'd very much appreciate a community-provided fix for these issues, and you seem to know what you're doing.
I wouldn't want to step on any toes by updating/fixing the mod. Perhaps I could look into making a patch mod that would need to be installed after finch. But, I'll have to have some time to do that. I'm currently making my slow way through the various known issues of the standard and expansion games (without mods).  Maybe when that is done or when I need a break from it...
I make no promises....
Besides the author has first dibs on making fixes...
and you seem to know what you're doing.
::)
You must have me confused with someone else... I rarely know what I'm doing. Usually, I'm surprised when something I've done works right the first time....
My working mods:

Dirty Uncle Bertie

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2009, 01:05:29 PM »
Were the author ever to return, I'm sure they'd include the fixes themselves.  Until then, people either use a third-party fix or have to play a buggy mod, and not everyone has the confidence to fix things themselves.

I'll see if Taimon might be prepared to offer a fix, in the same way as he did with SCS.  Or maybe jastey would be prepared to offer an update, the same as she did with Sirine's Call.  I'm hoping to see a hotfix made available so it can be linked to here:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=16221

Offline ochidmantis

• Planewalker
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2009, 08:58:27 PM »
Hi I recently decided to play bg1 again and found tutu and all these mods that I wanted to have in my game.  :)
Everything has bin working fine until I meet Finch at the Red Sheaf Inn and hear name is "Girl, Minsc is a great warrior of rashemen, not a circus clown! Is the not right Minsc".  ??? I find that a bit strange. I've triad to reinstalled Finch but that had no effect. As i sad I'm very new to at this, is there any debug files I can post so it's easier to maby find out what the problem is. Thanks for all help. I really want Finch in my game but it's very irritating when she has that strange name.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2009, 12:18:06 AM »
All NPCs usually have a "string fixer" - if you select them and press a key(K key with Kelsey, probably K or F key with Finch), their name/select sounds become normal. Read the mod's readme - there should be a line about this.

Offline ochidmantis

• Planewalker
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
All NPCs usually have a "string fixer" - if you select them and press a key(K key with Kelsey, probably K or F key with Finch), their name/select sounds become normal. Read the mod's readme - there should be a line about this.

I've read the readme http://mods.pocketplane.net/bg1tutu/FinchReadMe.html and I couldn't find anything about a "string fixer" I tried the commands that you suggested but nothing happened. I tried all commands I could think off. Googled search on "string fixer" for BG NPC's but non off all the commands I found worked. Since Finch is a downloded character I guess she is not compatible with "The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues" which allows you to force talk to all the NPC's and "string fix" through saying "(Characters name) your voice is sounding strange" Because I can say that to all the original characters but I don't get that alternative on Finch. >_<

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »
I've checked out the finch files and there is no visible reference to a string fixer. Perhaps she wasn't made with one.

Did you remove a mod that had been earlier in the install order while playing your current game? Sometimes when uninstalling and reinstalling dialog heavy mods the dialog string references which have been stored in the save file can be different than what they are in the dialog.tlk file.  At least that is my understanding of it, I could be wrong.

In your situation, unfortunately since there is no string fixer and I don't know how to apply one (yet, perhaps I'll try to learn at some point), there are a few things you can do:

1a) Reinstall the game
1b) Reinstall the mods
1c) Start over.

2a) Restore override directory, dialog.tlk, and any other files/directories that have been modified from your planned ahead backups
2b) Delete wiedu.log
2c) Reinstall the mods
2d) Start over.

There maybe other solutions that are less drastic but they are not known to me...
My working mods:

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »
Ah, Finch doesn't have one? It's bad. :( Yes, I'm sorry,then you'll have to restore a clean backup(strategy 2), as plainab says. It's really good to have a clean backup of override directory and dialog.tlk handy.

Offline ochidmantis

• Planewalker
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2009, 06:30:51 AM »
So if I do as plainab "strategy 2" do you mean the hole strategy from step a) till step d) or just replacing the files with the original ones?
No matter what I do, in the end I'll have to restart my game to get Finch to work? :-\

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:22:42 AM by ochidmantis »

Offline tadmeyer

• Planewalker
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »
I would really like to see a conversion of Finch for BGT. Anyone else?

Offline BGPlayer

• Planewalker
    • BGPlayer web page
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2009, 03:58:18 AM »
Hello everybody,

While testing this mod I noticed that horitontal and vertical frames values were missing in .bam files. I have fixed it for proper item moving in the inventory.

You can get the fix here:

http://sites.google.com/site/bgplayerwebpage/mods-and-fixs

Just copy the 8 .bam files to the override folder of the BG1Tutu folder after installing the mod.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 05:30:09 AM by BGPlayer »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: