Author Topic: Archived Posts - Kalah  (Read 16220 times)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: Minor Annoyance with Kalah Component
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2005, 06:29:24 PM »
Six: Rakshasa are incredibly arrogant, believing themselves superior to other creatures, even when that's not the truth. Their mental stats are also actually pretty good. As are their natural casting abilities - I think they're meant to be level 9 arcane casters or something. So that's pretty powerful. ;)

Barren: I think Death Fog does affect the caster - when you cast it it can harm party members... Also, in pnp Rakshasa also tend to fight differently than the BioWare scripts would suggest.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline belboz

• Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2005, 07:12:21 PM »
Yes, but does Death Fog go through magic resistance? Don't rakshasas have a really high MR?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2005, 07:27:12 PM »
They've got decent MR, yes.

However in view of:

- Them not really behaving that way in pnp
- It affecting other UB material
- It being a concealed area, so the spell'd probably be pretty unpleasant

I think I will change his combat script. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline lennon

• Planewalker
Re: Fault or Feature? : Kalah Quest? Genie denoument
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2005, 05:47:37 PM »
It really becomes easy to follow the white rabbit down the hole ie I'm not sure that this thread is healthy to continue but :)

I was playing today and you get 11, 500 points for making the dog stew in the D'Arnise Keep, you also get a dead easy 15,000 in the Realm of the Air in Irenicus' dungeon for freeing the Genie  ::)  :o

I think your very mean with the XP   ;D

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2005, 06:05:11 PM »
No, Bioware were far, far too generous.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Aristothenes

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2005, 01:14:23 AM »
ah, yes. The wonderful GAME BALANCE(TM).
I liked the game balance of Green Beret/Rush and Attack.

Offline Barren

• An almighty modder's sidekick!
  • Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2005, 09:47:35 PM »
@Six: Blame that on Bioware's idea of game balance... Rakshasi are supposed to be capable and challenging enemies, and in fact, the only way to defeat one easily should be by using a Blessed Bolt (and Bioware scrapped that idea too... We still have to restore it, guys, remember?)

@Andyr and belboz: It's more than magic resistance. Rakshasi are immune to spells ranging from level 1 to 8, inclusively.
Quote from: talia brie
Otherwise visit the Ashford City forum and ask the mods, because Barren knows all. Barren is good. Barren is wise.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2005, 11:05:55 AM »
What, completely immune? Are you sure? In 2E I don't know, but in 3E I don't think they are immune.

Mr.WaeseL

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2005, 06:50:59 AM »
In 3.0 a hit with a blessed crossbow bolt instatly slayed a Rakshasha (but they could be killed through more mundane means) and they were immune to spells of 8th level and below.

In 3.5 they've got DR 15/piercing and magic, and the equivalent of 85% MR.

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2005, 10:32:06 AM »
Gah? Another reason why 3.5E is an abomination! (As if gnomes having bard as their favored class wasn't enough...)
Otherwise visit the Ashford City forum and ask the mods, because Barren knows all. Barren is good. Barren is wise.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2005, 11:25:44 AM »
Making Rakshasas only killable using a certain item would be a pretty poor restoration. They may be super-badass in PnP, but in BG2 there's nothing to separate them from other mid-level enemies. If I had to use a Blessed Bolt to kill them, I'd be asking what made them so special.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2005, 03:09:51 PM »
... in BG2 there's nothing to separate them from other mid-level enemies.
Yes, there is: The comedy value of sending a single Skeleton Warrior against 50 Rakshasa.  ;D

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2005, 09:18:11 PM »
Making Rakshasas only killable using a certain item would be a pretty poor restoration. They may be super-badass in PnP, but in BG2 there's nothing to separate them from other mid-level enemies. If I had to use a Blessed Bolt to kill them, I'd be asking what made them so special.

The blessed bolt isn't the only way to kill rakshasi, it's just the easiest way. But of course, with Bioware's "the party should be able to kill anything so that any social misfit playing the game can get a feeling of superiority out of it" idea of balance, it's definitely not needed.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2005, 08:21:42 PM »
I do not think making Jafir, or other Rakshasi, immune to level 1-8 spells fits in with UB.

However, it'd be something I'd think about for LoI. :) I checked, same rules in 3.0 too.

Offline belboz

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2005, 01:49:32 PM »
It's not just in P&P rules. It's in (or at least strongly implied in) the BGII manual.

Which I know is not a very good source for anything. But you *could* use it to make the claim that it's UB, since apparently at one point the devs intended it to go in.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2005, 02:02:58 PM »
Then again, it could also be called a design decision, because they didn't just skip it, they added something else instead (85% MR).  I recall playing a game called... um, Curse of the Silver Shield/Swords/Something, and you had to fight Rakshasa.  I'm pretty sure they were implemented in proper PnP style, but I had no clue about PnP, since for me it was just a computer game.  Had a hell of a time trying to kill them, and I think I wound up quitting because of the Rakshasa.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2005, 08:39:38 PM »
I don't think it's UB material (although adding the Blessed Bolt back in might be), but it's certainly something I'd like to see!

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2005, 09:38:25 AM »
Is the Blessed Bolt explicitly listed in the manual? I don't have mine.

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2005, 03:51:34 PM »
Is the Blessed Bolt explicitly listed in the manual? I don't have mine.

in case you forgot to check eventually -

definitely explicit in the 1e manual...

not mentioned at all in the 3.5 manual...

and naturally, my 2e compendium, with all expansions and inserts, has gone missing.  >:(!!!  if anyone sees one wandering aimlessly, please whack it across the 'spine', bind and package it, and drop me a pm. :P 
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2005, 05:32:53 PM »
I meant BG2 manual as opposed to pnp, as I know it is in pnp. :) If it'd said something about it in the BG2 manual then it may have been something to restore.

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2005, 07:00:55 PM »
  oops, thought you were checking on its currency.
  i'd have to emphatically deny the possibility that something that obscure and achilles'-heel-y would have been originally written into bg2.
  without looking.  :P (the denial, not the writing)
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2005, 04:35:53 AM »
There's nothing about it in the manual, thank god.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: