Poll

Lily Beatrice Taylor?

Good
Bad
Ugly
Well, it's alright but I've always liked the name...
This is just way to off topic for a BG site.

Author Topic: Baby Name Suggestions and Poll but This Time for a Girl  (Read 16144 times)

Offline Moreina

• Planewalker
Re: Baby Name Suggestions and Poll but This Time for a Girl
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2005, 09:47:20 PM »
Quote from: Sillara Tamar
Charis Luthien Juliet. Ariel Chinatsu Sophia. Miranda Celebrindal Sillara.

Hmm. If I were to follow Sillara's example, I guess my first-born daughter would have to be named Nalia Moreina Constantina.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 09:49:10 PM by Moreina »

Offline Sillara Tamar

• Princess
  • Planewalker
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2005, 12:12:32 AM »
Quote from: Sillara Tamar
Charis Luthien Juliet. Ariel Chinatsu Sophia. Miranda Celebrindal Sillara.

Hmm. If I were to follow Sillara's example, I guess my first-born daughter would have to be named Nalia Moreina Constantina.

Well, maybe not *exactly*.  ;)  Interestingly, none of those names came from games of any kind, and I started using Sillara as forum name *after* Miranda was born.  ::)  Miranda (from The Tempest), Celebrindal (Tolkien) and Sillara (from The Jewel of Tamar and Born of Evil, Born to Woe.)  And we very nearly gave Ariel the first name of Chinatsu.  (For those who care, it is Japanese for 1,000 summers.)  She was born in Tokyo during the summer, so it seemed fitting.  ;D

However, the name you gave actually sounds quite pretty.   ;D

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2005, 12:35:19 AM »
What about Charis?

One of my sisters had all four of her babies' names decided on before birth. Every one of them scored a completely different name. My brother-in-law never bothered arguing over names. He just waited until my sister was brimming with pethidine and then said, "How about...?" It's amazing the influence you have at such a time. (Regullus, you may need to be aware of that when the time comes. Just in case your husband remains unconvinced.)
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2005, 08:01:13 AM »
He just waited until my sister was brimming with pethidine and then said, "How about...?" It's amazing the influence you have at such a time. (Regullus, you may need to be aware of that when the time comes. Just in case your husband remains unconvinced.)

My husband asked me just last night if I was definate about the name Lily. I said, "No. What don't you like about it?"
He said, "Its kinda girlie." I agreed it was feminine and asked him if he had an alternate suggestion? He said, no, and fell asleep.  ::)

I don't know if I have to worry about a sneak attack at a weak moment.

Offline elfheart

• Planewalker
    • Inedible:Elfheart
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2005, 10:26:22 AM »
my husband is less enthusiastic but not against it. He worries that she may be teased.
From what I have observed, any name can be twisted, rhymed with or found odd by SOME person to bring teasing if someone is mean-spirited enough. I think Lily is a beautiful name.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2005, 11:24:36 AM »
my husband is less enthusiastic but not against it. He worries that she may be teased.
From what I have observed, any name can be twisted, rhymed with or found odd by SOME person to bring teasing if someone is mean-spirited enough. I think Lily is a beautiful name.

Yes, that's certainly true (and the phenomenon was immortalized in a Nicholas Cage SNL skit.)

Presumably the kindergarten class of 2010 won't be too familiar with, say, The Who's Pictures of Lily.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2005, 11:51:16 AM »
He just waited until my sister was brimming with pethidine and then said, "How about...?" It's amazing the influence you have at such a time. (Regullus, you may need to be aware of that when the time comes. Just in case your husband remains unconvinced.)

My husband asked me just last night if I was definate about the name Lily. I said, "No. What don't you like about it?"
He said, "Its kinda girlie." I agreed it was feminine and asked him if he had an alternate suggestion? He said, no, and fell asleep.  ::)

I don't know if I have to worry about a sneak attack at a weak moment.

O, do not underestimated men. I remeber one telling me that he had slept with the documents under his pillow, to prevent his wife and mother-in-law from sneacking them away. Dunno why, Seraphima did not sound like such a bad name to me :)
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline St. Josephine

• PPG
  • Planewalker
  • The Patron Saint of Mediocrity
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2005, 12:23:23 PM »

Exactly.  As someone who went through school with an eminently rhymable name, as well as one that was linked to a nursery rhyme, I can tell you from personally experience that eventually everyone gets over it.  I'm not scarred for life because of childhood teasing, nor do I hate my mother for naming me it.

I'm sorry, but she's a girl.  Personally,  I hate "masculine" names for girls.  Names like Madison,Taylor and Jordan -- ugh!
Cailean: An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!

Despite his heartthrob status in real life, Orlando Bloom has consistently functioned as a node of negative energy onscreen, sucking the life force out of all who surround him. --Dana Stevens, Slate.com

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2005, 12:46:45 PM »
Exactly.  As someone who went through school with an eminently rhymable name, as well as one that was linked to a nursery rhyme, I can tell you from personally experience that eventually everyone gets over it.  I'm not scarred for life because of childhood teasing, nor do I hate my mother for naming me it.

But I think you ARE a pill.

And like swill.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Sillara Tamar

• Princess
  • Planewalker
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »
What about Charis?

Its meaning (Grace) and its use as a title for Aphrodite both influenced us to choose.

One of my sisters had all four of her babies' names decided on before birth. Every one of them scored a completely different name. My brother-in-law never bothered arguing over names. He just waited until my sister was brimming with pethidine and then said, "How about...?" It's amazing the influence you have at such a time. (Regullus, you may need to be aware of that when the time comes. Just in case your husband remains unconvinced.)

My husband was the opposite.  We had still not decided on whether Ariel's first name should be Ariel (my choice) or Sophia (his) when I was lying on the delivery table.  He thought I looked so pitiful that he immediately relented and said, "Let's name her Ariel."   ;D

He changed his mind about Miranda, though.  Until a week before her birth she was to have been Julia (from Two Gentlemen of Verona, as well as my dead grandmother's name).  Then suddenly he said, "I don't think I want to use Julia.  What about Miranda?"  Since Miranda had actually been an early suggestion of mine, which he had then dismissed, I instantly concurred!  :P

I like Lily.  I think it sweet and feminine.  I also dislike masculine names for girls!

Sillara

Offline St. Josephine

• PPG
  • Planewalker
  • The Patron Saint of Mediocrity
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2005, 07:02:02 PM »

But I think you ARE a pill.

And like swill.

:'(
Cailean: An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!

Despite his heartthrob status in real life, Orlando Bloom has consistently functioned as a node of negative energy onscreen, sucking the life force out of all who surround him. --Dana Stevens, Slate.com

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2005, 07:14:57 PM »
Presumably the kindergarten class of 2010 won't be too familiar with, say, The Who's Pictures of Lily.

My neice is. :) Okay, maybe not for context, but I use a 16-sec snip of it as the intro to all of Lily's edited home movies. "Pictures of Lily, Lily, oh, Lily, Lily, oh, Lily, pictures of Lily!"
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
  • I still like Neighbours
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2005, 09:24:51 PM »
I also dislike masculine names for girls!

I love them as long as they end with 'ie'. Andie and Jamie are my favourite girl/boy names. :)

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2005, 12:23:01 AM »
"Kinda girlie?" What, does he want to name her Mack?
I'm with St.Jo - she's a girl, a girlie-type name would not be out of place.
All names can be mangled - but so many children have creative/imaginative/unusual/weird names that really, bullies have very little leeway. Kane, Rupert,Sebastien, Molly, Rhianna and Tiah will not blink an eye at Lily. The worst she will get is Lilly-Pilly. Probably as an affectionate nickname.

Regullus - the falling asleep thing is not always a sign they don't really care about it. You may want to consider having someone neutral(or on your side) hold the papers until you are completely conscious. Two of the four names my sister agreed to were ones that are on the Teacher List Of What Not To Name Your Child. And she's a teacher. Mack Taylor might sound good to you as you float on morphine Cloud 9. 

Cliffette, if you are thinking of breeding, we need to talk.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 12:29:47 AM by Eral »
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2005, 07:42:55 AM »
@St Jo - Assuming your name is Jill, I've always thought it was a very pretty name. I think it is most unkind of JC to mock.

Re Teasing: I agree with everyone that a child will probably get over it, and there is little to worry about. Some names have an obvious tease built into the name. Such as, Keenan, which has the natural progression of "Keenie weenie" then "weener" culminating in "weener head."
 The worst nickname I had was from one of my brothers, "bucky beaver" (I got braces) and that had nothing to do with my name. The worst school nick I had briefly was "Diana, Diana, the bic banana from Montana. Even as an eight year old I found the name lacking in sting.

@Eral and Ashara - I have discovered that one should never underestimate the tenacity of a opinion of a man or believe that a subject is rarely definitively closed.
 I have a friend, who is a toughy, whom I've discussed the names with and she said that it doesn't matter what his opininion is because in the US the mother signs the birth certificate.  ;D

Re "Girlie" Aspect of Name: I agree with you all that there is nothing wrong with having either a masculine name for a boy or feminine name for a girl. I think I would understand his position better if she was a boy and we were considering the name Kelsey. (Sorry JC)

@Cliffette - Your Kelsey tee is still my favorite tee shirt, admittedly, I can no longer wear it publicly as it is a good six inches above the belly button but when I wore it publicly, I always got compliments. :)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2005, 09:02:05 AM »
@St Jo - Assuming your name is Jill, I've always thought it was a very pretty name. I think it is most unkind of JC to mock.

I'm simply showing that I care!

Offline Kismet

• Devil's Minion #5
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Veni; Vidi; Velcro.
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2005, 09:10:44 AM »

I'm simply showing that I care!

I've never bought that "They only tease you because they like you." line myself.
Cailean - An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!  Guaranteed more fun than shampooing cats!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2005, 09:31:57 AM »
You're just jealous because you want some too.

But if you want your own teasing, you'll have to pay me.

Offline Kismet

• Devil's Minion #5
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Veni; Vidi; Velcro.
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2005, 09:37:57 AM »
You're just jealous because you want some too.

But if you want your own teasing, you'll have to pay me.

Pfft.  I can get better teasing for free.
Cailean - An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!  Guaranteed more fun than shampooing cats!

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2005, 09:43:20 AM »

I have a friend, who is a toughy, whom I've discussed the names with and she said that it doesn't matter what his opininion is because in the US the mother signs the birth certificate.

O! I should find out rules in Canada... maybe I will be able to sneak Kivan or Jaime in after all...  ;D
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2005, 09:45:13 AM »
Jaime is a terribly unmasculine implementation. Seriously. Please don't do that. (Plus, it looks like "hy-mee" to anybody who's had Hispanic friends.)

Offline CORVIS TERRIBLE MOUNTAIN GOD

• Planewalker
  • Things Fall Apart
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2005, 09:54:01 AM »
Kivan

You are a horrible person. If you have had children in the past, stop. If you have not, do not.

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2005, 10:24:37 AM »
 ;D Don't fret, I will be sure to open a thread just like that when (if) the time comes... they are a lot of fun. Kivan, though, is but a variation on Ivan, only pweetier, so I do not see how it's all that bad. O, and there are always Jon and Feanor... :)
—George R.R. Martin

-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
  • I still like Neighbours
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2005, 03:19:58 PM »

Cliffette, if you are thinking of breeding, we need to talk.

Not to mention, first boy = Igor or Cassius Asbestos Onassis.

;D

@Regellus- Thanks :) Maybe it's time to make a temporary Kelsey tattoo for your belly...

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2005, 03:50:26 PM »
Eral, Breeding Counselor to the Stars.
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.