Author Topic: Pub Crawls in Baldur's Gate.  (Read 6448 times)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Pub Crawls in Baldur's Gate.
« on: January 27, 2005, 11:21:22 AM »
So, I am at the moment looking at having a quest resolve somewhere in a tavern in the city of Baldur's Gate... Though ideally I want one that not much else happens in. :) Anyone got any ideas?

Below I will attempt to list the taverns and inns in the city (using the IESDP as my guide), and if people could shed some light on what does and does not take place in them I'd be grateful... Some of the listings in the IESDP don't say the name of the inn (which is the Blade and Stars, for example?), so if people could fill in blanks there too it could be useful.

AR0105-AR0107: Blade and Stars.
Shaella and co are here. Maple Willow Aspen above, and Lord Reginald who talks rubbish on top.

AR0114-AR0115: Blushing Mermaid Inn.
Larze the ogre headhunter will attack you. Anything else?

AR0116: Helm and Cloak Inn.
Gorpel Hind and his Band of Merry Fools are here, and there's combat with another group. I think the Cloak of Balduran is here too.

AR0133-AR0136: Low Lantern
There's a couple of priestesses who will try and do you some mischief, though I don't remember their deity. Loviatar/Auril?

AR0705-AR0706: Elfsong Inn
You are asked to steal something by Brevlik, the dwarf/gnome. Upstairs is Cyredence the blackmailer.

AR0720: Drakon Tavern
Where does this name come from? Tavern in central BG district.

AR0807-AR0808: Inn in Eastern district of Baldur's Gate
In first city area; not much on. Gamblers upstairs.

AR1109-AR0110: Inn in SW disctrict of BG
Phandayln the Paladin attacks you if Evil. Gamblers upstairs.

AR1113-AR1114: The "Slime Inn"
This Inn is beset by slimes.

AR1215: Jopalin's Tavern.
Full of drunken sailors. Dunno where the name comes from.

AR1306-AR1307: Inn in SE district
Euric, a boy, downstairs. Sanadal upstairs (cousin of Shank and Carbos), as well as some commoners who look really weird on my Tutu install.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 12:08:15 PM by Andyr »
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
Re: Pub Crawls in Baldur's Gate.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 11:32:57 AM »
There's a couple of priestesses who will try and do you some mischief, though I don't remember their deity. Loviatar?

I think it's Auril
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 11:48:47 AM »
AR0114-AR0115: Blushing Mermaid Inn.
Larze the ogre headhunter will attack you. Anything else?

You also confront the assassin Marek upstairs, at the culmination of the poison quest.

AR0133-AR0126: Low Lantern
There's a couple of priestesses who will try and do you some mischief, though I don't remember their deity. Loviatar?

Yago the necromancer is here, too.  He's part of the Brielbara and her cursed child quest.

Is this where you get asked to steal something by a dwarf?

Yeah, a gnome pays you to do a heist, and upstairs you can confront a guy blackmailing some noblewoman (she's in the Three Kegs inn).

No clue. Where does this name come from?

Didn't realise it existed.  Where is it?

No clue.

Well, there's the thieves guild hideout, and another one that's attached to the thieve's guild whose door is hidden by the camera perspective, and seems to be just a regular inn.

No clue.

I think this is the Blade and Stars.  Forget what's in there.  It's small, though, and crowded, so I'd avoid using it.  Oh, Maple Willow Aspen is in here, some seer, and Borinole Mann (sp?).

AR1215: Jopalin's Tavern.
Full of drunken sailors. Dunno where the name comes from.

Presumably the owner's named Jopalin. ;)
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 12:09:18 PM »
Updated a bit... Unfortunately it seems like there is little room at the Inns. ;)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 12:44:52 PM »
A few more to add to the list: AR0103-AR0104 (Splurging Sturgeon), AR0105-AR0107 (Blade and Stars), AR0119-AR0121 (Three Old Kegs), AR0154+AR0171 (nameless tavern in eastern Baldur's Gate), AR0165-AR0166 (nameless tavern in northwestern Baldur's Gate), and AR1306-1307 (nameless tavern in southeastern Baldur's Gate).

Anyway, here's a bunch of info from Gamebanshee:

AR0103-AR0104: Splurging Sturgeon
1st Floor:

Lantanara: A woman who had a dream about you in which you were an iron god who crumbled on his knees. Tells you to be careful as the fate seems to be against you.

Brielbara: You get 1000 Exp. and +1 Reputation for bringing her Yago’s book of curses. If you ask for a payment you get 200 gp. Coran also turns down her offer to live together and stays with you.

Lusselyn: A fighter who obviously got one too many. He is really drunk and if you talk with him 3 times he bets you 100 gp. that you won’t be able to defeat the Mustard Jelly upstairs. When you return he gives you only 60 gp. because he got a bit thirsty while waiting.

2nd Floor:

Mr. Shade: You can bluff your way through the whole conversation (it gets really funny, to be honest) but it leads nowhere. He eventually leaves when you admit that you have no idea what he was talking about. Apparently, if you have the Golden Pantaloons with you (see Friendly Arm Inn for more details) Mr. Shade gives you some useful tips about them.

Mustard Jelly: There is a Mustard Jelly in one of the rooms which you’ll have to kill in order to win your bet with Lusselyn downstairs.

AR0105-AR0107: Blade and Stars
1st Floor:

Shaella: A follower of the dead goddess Leira, who used to be the goddess of the mist. She tells you how Cyric murdered her and how Mask betrayed her. There is no real point to it and once she’s done she leaves.

G’Axir the Seer: Asks you to bring him a Sphene Gem in order to predict the future. The gem can be found on the Basilisk at the docks(Southern part of BG). Once you return with the gem you get 1000 Exp. and he tells you a bit about yourself and Candlekeep (nothing of interest, though).

2nd Floor:

Lothander: Once you have obtained the scroll required to remove his geas off Jalantha Mistmyr at the Water Queen’s House(Southern part of BG) you can bring it to Lothander for 1500 Exp. He gives you his “half” of the antidote(barely 1 antidote) and tells you that Marek has the other half. Marek can be found at the Blushing Mermaid inn (North-Eastern part of BG).

3rd Floor:

Reginald “Longtooth” Worthington III: A nobleman who talks a lot but says very little. There is no point to the conversation so you might as well avoid it.

AR0114-AR0115: Blushing Mermaid Inn
1st Floor:

Vivienne: Tells you how her husband got killed while plowing his land because of the bad quality of the iron. She then leaves.

Ivanne: Appears in chapter 7.  An old dwarf (or gnome) who tells you the circumstance in which Scar was killed if you give him 10 gp. It appears that a doppleganger is to be blamed and as you well know dopplegangers exclusively work for the Iron Throne (and Sarevok, this is).

2nd Floor:

Marek: Marek will be there once you helped Lothander and met him at the Blade and Stars(see South-Eastern part of BG for more details). At the end of the conversation you get 10000 Exp. and a message tells you that you have been cured of the poison. You then have to kill Marek.

AR0116-AR0118: Helm and Cloak Inn

Gorpel Hind, Farluck, Nelik and Turpin: The 4 members of the party known as the Merry Fools. Talking to them triggers the entry of the Maulers of Undermountain(another party of adventurers) so be ready for a fight(and a tough one too!). If you have told Gorpel and his comrades a story about your adventures in the Cloakwood forest he will help you in the upcoming fight.

Gretek, Wilf, Arlin, Caturak, Pargus and Nader: A bunch of psychos who are known as the Maulers of Undermountain. They attack you almost on sight and they are pretty tough. There is 1 melee fighter, 1 archer, 1 cleric, 1 mage, 1 thief and 1 fighter/mage in their group.

2nd Floor, Part A:

Sarah: An emissary from Amn who has been sent to settle the misunderstanding between her nation and Baldur’s Gate, a city of “barbarians” according to her. She is so important that her room is guarded by 2 guards.

2nd Floor, Part B:

Painting: Be careful as the painting is trapped (Fireball spell). Behind it you’ll find the Helm of Balduran (one of the best items in the game). You can then bring it back to Degrodel at location (5) for your reward.

AR0119-AR0121: Three Old Kegs
1st Floor:

Bellamy: A halfling who warns you against the crazy paladin Phandalyn if you have evil party members. Phandalyn can be found in the South-Western part of Baldur’s Gate (see that section for more details).

Shep: A commoner who obviously hates adventurers and thinks that they stink. You may be tempted to kill this insolent brat but don’t, else you’ll lose reputation.

Delthyr: If you have talked with him in the Eastern part of Baldur’s Gate you’ll meet him once more on the first floor of this inn. He tells you to follow Rashad, Duke Eltan’s healer, each night when he leaves the Flaming Fist Castle to see where he goes. I didn’t push the investigation further and there is no need to. Rashad is a Greater Doppleganger and you just need to talk with him to make him reveal his identity.

2nd Floor:

Ithtyl: A maid of the Three Old Kegs who wishes you to enjoy your stay. There is no real point to the conversation.

Painting: Behind a painting near the staircase you’ll find the Skull of Kereph, an ancient priest of Tymora who was greatly blessed by his god. One night his brother Ghorak killed him and took his head away because he was too jealous of his brother’s success. Ghorak has been cursed by Tymora ever since and if you take the skull to Agnasia in The Lady’s Hall (Western part of BG) you’ll get a reward.

3rd Floor:

Areana (Noblewoman): She is being blackmailed by a rogue named Cyrdemac because he saw her one night at the Undercellar. She offers you 500 gp. to remove him although you can make her offer you 2000 gp. and then 4000 gp. Cyrdemac can be found at the Elfsong Tavern(Eastern part of BG). Once you have removed him you can come back to Areana for your reward. She admits that she only has 500 gp. on her and that she has offered more(if this is the case) just to make you take the job. You can either agree on these 500 gp. or continue to blackmail Areana yourself every 10 days for a further 500 gp. If you do so, she’ll hire a thug named Tor Lobo to remove you. He’s worth 600 Exp. and carries a bit of gold. You can then continue your blackmailing (if you are evil, this is).

AR1215: Jopalin's Tavern
You’ll find a lot of drunk sailors in here, no quests though.

AR0133-AR0126: Low Lantern
1st Level:

Lobar: The owner of the place, Lobar wishes you to enjoy your stay. There is a chest in his room which contains 112 gp. and a scroll of Protection from Fire. The other scroll is cursed.

2nd Level:

Desreta and Vay-ya: Two psychos who think that life is not worth living and who invite you to share some entropy pleasures with them. You can either tell them to get lost, in which case they will. If you accept their invitation, be prepared for a fight.

3rd Level:

Yago: The mage who cursed Coran’s daughter. You can kill him for 1400 Exp., a Knave’s Robe and Yago’s Book of Curses. You may also make him hand over the book but it is not the most rewarding solution. Once you have the book bring it back to Brielbara at the Splurging Sturgeon (North-Eastern part of BG) for your reward. Coran also chooses to stay with you if you had him in your party.

AR0154+AR0171: Inn in Eastern district of Baldur's Gate
Nothing happens here, though I was thinking of using this area for a little encounter in the BG1NPC Project.

AR0165-AR0166:  Inn in Northwestern district of Baldur's Gate
1st Floor:

Connoly Finn: Offers to tell you a story but feels insulted by whatever you say and ends up by saying nothing (which is probably as well).

Borinole Mann: An old man who tells you a story about the Firewine ruins and the Ulcaster school which has no beginning and no ending (and no point either).

1st Floor:-

Brevlik: A cunning gnome collector who wants you to steal the Telescope on display at the Hall of Wonders in the Western part of Baldur’s Gate. He offers you 500 gp. and you can bargain to add one of his magic items to the deal. The best way to steal the telescope is to go to the hall at dusk. You’ll find Alora there and you can either accept to stand watch for her or tell her to get lost, in which case she’ll leave. Once you have the Telescope, bring it to Brevlik for 500 gp., a Wand of Lightning and 5500 Exp.

Husam: If you talked with him at the thieves’ guild you’ll meet him once more here. He offers to tell you more information about the Iron Throne but ends up by suggesting that you visit their headquarters in the Southern part of Baldur’s Gate. He then takes his leave.

2nd Floor:

Cyrdemac: A rogue blackmailing Areana, a noblewoman you can find at the Three Old Kegs (Northern part of BG), because he saw her at the Undercellar. You can kill him for 975 Exp. and a Bastar Sword +1. You can then return to Areana for her reward or take over the blackmailing yourself if you are evil.

Alyth: She is the owner of the establishment and either tells you a bit about the customers or about the reasons why she bought the place. If you talk with her twice, she offers the same services as the Bartender downstairs.

Merchant: One of the merchants you met at the Nashkel carnival has traveled to Baldur’s Gate and offers you his fine collection of waress. You can also buy back anything you sold him in Nashkel, should you be interested.

Also, in BG1NPC Project this is the inn where Alora has been staying, and her first quest will start here.

Nothing happens here.  BTW if you didn't already know, it can be found in central Baldur's Gate (the area with gambling tents and the fortune teller)

Nothing happens here.

Phandalyn: A crazy paladin who attacks you if you have any evil party members. He does not become hostile, however, so killing him will cost you reputation points. If you have evil party members, I recommend avoiding to enter in this inn.

AR1306-1307: Inn in Southeastern district of Baldur's Gate
1st Floor:

Euric: If you have talked with his mother Nadine(see Central part of BG for more details) you can bring Euric the Amulet of Protection +1 for 1100 Exp. Go back to Nadine then for a further 400 Exp., +1 Rep. and a Necklace of Missiles.

2nd Floor:

Sanadal Gwist: A woman who asks you to find her “dear” brother and cousin Carbos and Shank. If you remember well, they are the first assassins you met in Candlekeep. If you push her on her motives, she admits that in fact they owe her some money and asks you to kill them for it (which you did, heh).
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 06:52:28 PM »
Thanks a lot! :D

I've shoved something in Jopalin's tavern for an upcoming mod, might abuse some space in another. Though really I could use a larger, empty space.

Offline Murdane

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 06:57:36 PM »

I think it's Auril

The ones who talk about entrophy?

Shar seems like a more appropriate deity for them, even if it really is Auril. :)

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 03:10:48 AM »
"Entropy

Entropy, the Great Nothing, the Swallower of Gods, the Magechill, is more concept than deity, but is worshipped fervently (originally and almost exclusively by a mad family clan called the Karanoks) in the city of Luthcheq is Chessenta, in a large temple enclosed by a hemisphere of black glass.
Entropy is considered to be a gigantic sphere of annihilation that no force, godly or mortal, may stop. The priests of Entropy hate mages and magic with a passion, to the degree of seeing them banned or stoned in the streets. The depth of this hatred is unknown, as is its origin. Entropy of little thought of (as a god, at least) outside of Chessenta."

-Echon

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 10:20:10 AM »
3E sources say that "Entropy" as worshipped by the Karanoks is actually just Tiamat masquerading. ;) Dunno what 2E has to say about that.

Desreta and Vay-Ya do refer to entropy, but not with the capital letter, so I guess it could be the same entity.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 10:48:23 AM »
As far as I know 2E does not expand upon the nature of Entropy.

Yeah, I think their creation was inspired by the entry in FRCS on Entropy.

-Echon

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 10:55:21 AM »
Or they could just be two people with psychological issues that dreamed up their bizarre way of thinking.  Or they could be on PCPs, I dunno.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 07:41:35 AM »

@NiGHTMARE - excellent records.  *tips hat* that's where i'm headed with mine.

Quote from: Andyr
AR0133-AR0136: Low Lantern
There's a couple of priestesses who will try and do you some mischief, though I don't remember their deity. Loviatar/Auril?
Quote from: Ashara
I think it's Auril
Quote from: Murdane
Shar seems like a more appropriate deity for them, even if it really is Auril.
Quote from: Ghreyfain
Or they could just be two people with psychological issues that dreamed up their bizarre way of thinking.

for some reason i have them mentally filed as followers of Leira (no, not Lliira, Leira, who iirc is at that point 'dead' in the way Waukeen is 'dead') - but the spiel is entropy-based, isn't it...
 o well, too busy to run over from u's beard just yet.

Or they could be on PCPs, I dunno.
[crotchety]durn young'nz doing the angel dust, and the DMTs, and smoking acid...[/crotchety]

suddenly i don't believe in the word crotchety.
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 07:46:12 AM »
I thought Leira was actually properly dead at that point, (Cyric killed her), not just imprisoned as Waukeen was?

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 08:13:51 AM »
 sure, i'll defer to that.  i thought it might have been >20 yrs post-ToT, is all.
 *checks*
 good gravy!  the very same year (1358 DR). 

i'm just glad they didn't have a large portion of devout illusionists drop dead at that moment.  (then again, there wasn't a game-system-change rationale for that...)
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: