Author Topic: Jasper's private stock...  (Read 19203 times)

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
Re: Jasper's private stock...
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2005, 11:25:25 AM »
(He likes the pinot gris very much. Must be the Italian bit.)

however bastardized/coopted by the french, indeed.

as far as exports - i can attest that it is absolutely true about newcastle, and the same goes for guinness.  and don't ever let me catch any of you drinking guinness out of a bottle or that pathetic 'pub-draught' can, i don't care who developed the technology.  on tap you can trust, but don't hesitate to fly over just to taste the Real Thing.

speaking of stouts - Eral, is Sheaf popular down there?  or is it the fosters of stout?  here it qualifies for the occasional meal-in-a-bottle, but i prefer samuel smith's oatmeal, which seems to make its way to seattle in bottles from england without noticeable ruination (though i haven't had >its< native form)...
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2005, 05:04:25 PM »
Rev- Stout is extremely rare here. Guinness is the only stuff to have really made inroads. You really need someone like Xiao to answer your question: a devotee. My knowledge base is limited. (that is the only phrase I could think of that didn't make me sound like a hopeless alco.)
I would ask my dad, whose knowledge base is breathtaking, but he likes Guinness in a can, so his opinion is worthless to you.

Xiao- you do not need to tell me twice. No beer should be white, anyway.  ;D
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2005, 03:33:24 AM »
Must revise my opinion of Yellowtail. Very good stuff.
My brother bought a bottle for us to try on  his son's birthday, and I have since purchased a case of 2004 chardy and am here to say, you were right.  :)
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2005, 07:26:32 PM »
Some wine critics in France and England are bemoaning the fact that wine producers are not making Fine wines anymore: they're making wine that are cheap and pleasant for ordinary people to enjoy. I am having trouble working up antagonism to said wine-makers. 

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2005, 08:10:33 PM »
Heh. Yeah, I've noticed that even in flyby searches of Internet wine snobbery communities.

But it's like so many other things where people are passionate devotees... there tends to be a tradeoff when products skew to the masses, and the pioneers with the most knowledge and appreciation tend to be the ones left out in the cold with less to appreciate. Ask a car freak what they think of shared automobile platforms, or a long-term computer geek what he thinks of Windows domination.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2005, 08:36:14 PM »
I see your point.  Perhaps if they were complaining about bad wines being made, I would understand. But they are complaining about good wines - using words like "pleasant" and "drinkable" and "accessible." 
Shared automobile platforms and extermination of all computer lifeforms except Windows are bad things.
Winemakers making wine for everyone is democracy/revolution/overthrow of the oligarchs. Which is good for us peasants. And we haven't spilled any blood.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: