Author Topic: Monster Summoning IV and V?  (Read 35007 times)

Offline Loriel

• Planewalker
    • Loriel's Downloads
Re: Monster Summoning IV and V?
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2005, 04:45:31 PM »
Wait, summoning basilisks are a little overpower don't you think? And should the spells merge with wyvern call etc? No need for those spells if you have monster summoning V, right? It's and interesting idea but let's not make it too spiffy... anyway Edwin-users will rejoice.

Depends on if the Basilisk is friendly or not.  If you make it hate everything and everyone, you could end up a statue yourself.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2005, 10:06:56 PM »
That would be contrary to the spell description. I seriously doubt that basilisks should be added to the game (unless you did want to extend out to Monster Summoning VII). Unfortunately, the tasloi animation isn't included in the game, either. They were the cutest... ehrm, most terrifying... creatures in Baldur's Gate.

I'd recommend adding logical things, like minotaurs, ogre magi, bears and great cats, etc. Maybe even yuan-ti and lizard men and similar Icewind Dale creatures.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2005, 04:56:46 AM »
If it helps, this is what the spells summon in pnp:

MS I: 2d4 1st-level monsters for 2 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 3, area of effect 30-yd. radius
MS II: 1d6 2nd-level monsters for 3 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 4, area of effect 40-yd. radius
MS III: 1d4 3rd-level monsters for 4 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 5, area of effect 50-yd. radius
MS IV: 1d3 4th-level monsters for 5 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 6, area of effect 60-yd. radius
MS V: 1d3 5th-level monsters for 6 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 7, area of effect 70-yd. radius
MS VI: 1d3 6th-level monsters appear 1d3 rounds after spell is cast for 7 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 8, area of effect 80-yd. radius,
MS VII: One 7th-level monster or two 7th-level monsters appear one round after spell is cast, or one 8th-level monster appears two rounds after spell is cast, both for 8rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 9, area of effect 90-yd. radius

So it doesn't really matter which monsters are used (though IIRC they have to be living & breathing monsters from the current plane of existence, so no elementals, golems, demons, celestials, undead, etc), as long as they're the appropriate level :).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 05:52:38 AM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Loriel

• Planewalker
    • Loriel's Downloads
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2005, 05:45:13 AM »
Awww...and here I was hoping to get myself a nice pet basilisk! ::)

FluffigtDjur

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2005, 07:51:17 AM »
hrmf, never did like turn to stone... there was always that feeling that you just destroyed some nice equipment when you blasted them statues. Anyway the problem is balance... a basilisk is too strong and a big cat is too weak... I'd go for the nishuru every time anyway. I mean, Lizardmen? Why? Guess you could use the skin though, you only come across them once in the entire game. Perhaps something with spells then? I like the ogre mage idea.

Offline Lord Kain

• "I was the 500th member on the old forgottenwars forum and all I got was this lousy title"
  • Planewalker
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2005, 03:29:28 PM »
There are lizard men in the sphere and outside spellhold
Now, at last, the masks had fallen away.  The strings of the puppets had become visible, and the hands of the prime mover exposed.  Most ironic of all was the last gift that Raziel had given me, more powerful than the sword that now held his soul, more acute even than the vision his sacrifice had accorded me - the first bitter taste of that terrible illusion:  Hope.

Offline Nerik

• Planewalker
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2005, 04:44:41 PM »
If it helps, this is what the spells summon in pnp:

MS I: 2d4 1st-level monsters for 2 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 3, area of effect 30-yd. radius
MS II: 1d6 2nd-level monsters for 3 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 4, area of effect 40-yd. radius
MS III: 1d4 3rd-level monsters for 4 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 5, area of effect 50-yd. radius
MS IV: 1d3 4th-level monsters for 5 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 6, area of effect 60-yd. radius
MS V: 1d3 5th-level monsters for 6 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 7, area of effect 70-yd. radius
MS VI: 1d3 6th-level monsters appear 1d3 rounds after spell is cast for 7 rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 8, area of effect 80-yd. radius,
MS VII: One 7th-level monster or two 7th-level monsters appear one round after spell is cast, or one 8th-level monster appears two rounds after spell is cast, both for 8rds. + 1 rd./level.  Casting time 9, area of effect 90-yd. radius

So it doesn't really matter which monsters are used (though IIRC they have to be living & breathing monsters from the current plane of existence, so no elementals, golems, demons, celestials, undead, etc), as long as they're the appropriate level :).

As a follow up, the creatures summoned in 2nd. ed. were as follows (according to the Wizard's Spell Compendium, vol. 3, p.585-588):

Monster Summoning I
Ant, Giant
Bat, Huge
Beetle, fire*
Bullywug (use small troll animation?)
Goblin
Hobgoblin
Jermlain (use xvart/kobold/goblin animation?)
Kobold (3d4)
Leech, Giant (1 HD)
Muckdweller (!!?)
Orc
Rat, Giant (3d4) (use standard rat animation?)

Monster Summoning II
Beetle, Bombardier (use IWD black beetle animation)*
Centipede, Giant
Frog, Giant or Killer
Gnoll or Flind
Lamprey, Land
Lizard Man
Mongrelmen (2 HD) (use orc animation?)
Mudmen (use flesh/stone golem animation?)
Spider Large
Strige
Toad, Giant
Troglodyte (use lizard man or kuo-toa animation?)

Monster Summoning III
Ankheg (3-4 HD)
Bat Giant
Beetle, Boring (use IWD copper beetle)*
Bugbear
Centipede, Megalo-
Crab, Giant
Crocodile
Dog, Death (use dog or wolf animation)
Gelatinous Cube
Ghoul
Lizard, Giant
Lycantrope, Wererat*
Orc, Orog
Osquip
Sandling
Scorpion, Large
Snake, constrictor
Spider, Huge
Weasel, Giant
Urchin, Land

Monster Summoning IV
Ankheg (5-6 HD)
Ape, Carnivorous
Banderlog
Ettercap
Gargoyle (Could use stone-coloured cornugon animation)
Ghast
Hellhound
Huecuva (use Lich or Mummy)
Hydra, 5 Headed
Lycanthrope Werewolf
Ogre
Ooze, grey
Owlbear
Scorpion, Huge
Snake, Giant Constrictor
Toad, Poisonous
Toad, Fire
Wasp, Giant
Wolf, Worg
Yeti (use IWD animation)*

Monster Summoning V
Ankheg (7-8 HD)
Cockatrice (could use chicken animation :) )
Displacer Beast (use panther animation)
Doppleganger
Hornet, Giant
Hydra, 7 Heads
Hydra, 5 Heads, cryo- or pyro-
Leucrotta (use deer animation?)
Lizard, subterranean
Lycantrope, wereboar (replace with werebadger?)*
Margoyle (see gargoyle)
Minotaur
Ochre Jelly
Rust Monster
Slithering Tracker (use 'slime' animation - slig?)
Snake, Giant poisonous or spitting
Spider, Giant
Giantkin, Verbeeg*
Wolf, Winter
Zombie, Ju-Ju (use IWD Zombie Lord animation)*

* Animation available in Galactygon's Bestial Animations mod.
Those listed in Italics are creatures for which no suitable animation exists in BG II - in some cases, however, a suitable animation exists in another IE game, and I have noted these.

Ok, a complete PnP implimentation of the 2nd. edition Monster Summoning spells goes beyond Unfinished Buisiness remit (but could be done as a separate 'PnP Monster Summons mod), but I've posted the lists to (hopefully) provide inspiration. Also, as the Monster Summoning spells in BG II tend to summon fewer monsters than in PnP, the monsters summoned are stronger (Monster Summoning I summons Kobold Kommandos, Ogrellons, Worgs, or War dogs, for instance), typically including creatues summoned by spells 1 or 2 levels higher in PnP.

Charles
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 02:35:24 PM by Nerik »

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2005, 07:33:22 AM »
Yeh, I don't want to change the existing spells.

But in terms of the new spells adding, these lists could prove useful. Thanks. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Nerik

• Planewalker
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2005, 02:38:06 PM »
Just a quick update to the 2nd. ed. Monster Summoning I-V tables to show which animations are now available thanks to Galactygon's Bestial Animations mod. I think this list doesn't belong here any more - anyone know where would be a good place to put it?

Charles

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2008, 09:55:35 AM »
I think this died with Ghrey's departure from the modding scene.  Anyone up to taking this one on?
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Nythrun

• Planewalker
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »
Level 6 has 24 spells already and is full.

Level 7 has room for the original spwi706.spl, though you'd need to either add the basilisk animation or alter monsum05.2da. It doesn't have any icons, if I recall correctly, and some of the creatures want a little touching up.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: