Author Topic: Hessa Bio  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
Hessa Bio
« on: January 05, 2005, 02:42:18 PM »
This was vaguely written in between computer hiccups while watching my favorite Bette Davis movie, so theoretically I will eventually improve and expand it when I am paying more attention. :)

Originally, I conceived Hessa to appear only for her quest as an informant (which appears in the One-Day mod) in the CN Anomen track and to play part of Yusef's hired lackeys in the LG scenario. I'd thought of her history fairly in depth despite this, which is why it seemed natural to use Hessa for a One-Day NPC.

Hessa yr Nu'Man grew up on the streets of Calimport, fending for herself from her early years. Her mother was an assassin for the temple of Bhaal, not a very nurturing type, while her father was one of her mother's well-executed jobs. Hessa's mother was slain along with Bhaal's other assassins in Calimport during the Time of Troubles, leaving her daughter to decide between stealing her next meal or starving. Hessa chose to steal.

Hessa's livelihood as a pickpocket was not without its dangers. She was once apprehended thieving in the market, and, facing the harsh retribution of Calimshite justice where her fate could be slavery or even death, she pleaded openly for mercy. Her cries came to the attention of a young Surayah el Farrahd, who intervened on Hessa's behalf. Rather than inspiring loyalty or gratitude in Hessa, Surayah's help primed her for grift and corruption. In trying to expose Surayah to the ways of a thief and Calimport's darker side, Hessa ironically did the other girl a service. Had Hessa not pushed Surayah to be curious about life outside a pasha's household, Surayah would not have stumbled across her first Sunite and become a formal worshipper of love and beauty, a philosophy that causes Hessa no end of disgust.

Hessa dislikes sentimentality and charity -- these are concepts she has never been able to afford, and those who would champion these ideals or protect the weak inspire resentment in her as a consequence. Any show of kindness on Hessa's part has underlying motives, either subversive to others or to her own benefit. As far as Hessa is concerned, people and power are commodities to be used for profit. Out of the Bioware NPCs, she will deal the best with Viconia, Edwin and Yoshimo. Cernd, Nalia, Aerie, Valygar and Minsc will inspire the most annoyance. While Keldorn and LG Anomen may make her skin crawl with their righteousness, Hessa will see conflict with them as challenging with the larger organization of the Order, and she's not very keen on those odds versus her relative gain. Because of Harper ties, Hessa will be slower to show derision for Jaheira for the same reason.

Full-scale Hessa will be available earlier in the game, outside the circus in Waukeen's Promenade. If she is not in the party and Anomen confronts Saerk, Hessa will relocate to the City Gates and she can be recruited a la One-Day (Note: the quest for the Quicksilver Necklace may not always be available.) She will not join the party if the PC is Lawful Good under any circumstances, and she'll stay away from high-rep parties, as well.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 11:19:23 PM by Bons »
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline lennon

• Planewalker
Re: Hessa Bio
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 03:35:05 PM »
Surely Mazzy will get up her nose  ;D

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 11:27:44 PM »
Oh, yeah. Hessa would be all for abandoning Mazzy in the Temple Ruins, and if that didn't work out, leaving some acid arrows a little too close to her Sword of Arvoreen. You know, "by accident."  :pirate
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 05:22:12 AM »
Oh, yeah. Hessa would be all for abandoning Mazzy in the Temple Ruins, and if that didn't work out, leaving some acid arrows a little too close to her Sword of Arvoreen. You know, "by accident." :pirate

i dont know who i feel sorry for, shortie, or the pain in the butt

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: