Author Topic: Review of the MOD NPC's...  (Read 16028 times)

Offline Imrahil

• Planewalker
Review of the MOD NPC's...
« on: January 02, 2005, 04:03:26 PM »
I recently posted a big review of all the MOD NPC's I've ever played with over on Ironworks.  If anyone's interested or wants to make comments or give their own impressions, the topic is located here...

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=024694

- Imrahil
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 04:10:47 PM by Imrahil »

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: Review of the MOD NPC's...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 04:07:27 PM »
You even reviewed all the Bruces and the IM6 NPCs? Your dedication is frightening. :)
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Imrahil

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 04:14:38 PM »
Heh...  :)   New NPC's are what keeps the game fresh for me, so I started compiling this list (well over a year ago) from the notes & feedback I gave to people.  Some people are dedicated MOD'ers, some are dedicated MOD-players.  :)

- Imrahil

Offline Meira

• Planewalker
  • I'm the snow on your lips
    • Amber's Home
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 08:05:25 AM »
Your reviews we interesting to read, Imrahil. I'm looking forward to read more.

Implementation - Apparently NPC gets a good score even if you have done something better than Bioware (that makes the character stand out from the bio-npc). Click-talk options and lengthy non-romance interaction with the PC are examples of this. Not a critique, just an observation. :)

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 02:26:53 PM »
OK, after about 4 failed attempts to register at IW,I decided to post it here, since the request was initiated by Ghrey - it is a quick review of NPCs from BG1NPCs. I am obviously bias, subjective etc, but on another hand I have seen it all more often than anyone else, I suppose. Take it with a grain of salt and add whatever raitings and oppinions you wish. And of course the 'will I have NPC in the party' category is my very personal and intimate thing - and yes, some of the NPCs for whom I like the writing a LOT will still fall in the no-no category).

Here are the first 12:

All BG1NPC come in V7 with the following standard features: at least 20 banters initiated and at least 1 dialogue with the PC; Edwin, Viconia and Quayle do not have interjections, but will in V8. All NPCs have their player-initiated dialogues, which replace the old ‘has nothing to say to you’ thinggy. Warning: does not work for Coran (pulls hair on her head)

1) Kivan - beyond contest in my eyes, I adore him, but since I have to work for other NPCs... well, I had to stop - I guess I will let myself run wild once I can restart working on Kivan of Shilmista. He has a fair amount of banter with both PC and NPCs, but I tried to stay within ‘strong and silent’ type parameters, trying not to exceed what people had for the other characters. My favorite banters are with Xan and Branwen. He (mia culpa) has much more ‘female only’ options than ‘male only’ options in his PC dialogues that are fairly extensive and long-winded. His interjections are mostly centered around bandit camp and various females in distress. His quest is very small and almost insignificant, since it was written in the days back when we were commanded to do ‘small encounters’ and I had no chance to return to it since...

Will I have NPC in the party when playing: Absolutely

2) Faldorn - my absolute favorite BG1NPC I wrote for. She has loads of banter and quite a few interjections. She is perky and has a rude and ready sense of humor. Very rarely she is serious. My favorite banters are those with Jaheira, Garrick and Coran. She is not exactly what some expect her to be - a grim maniacal killer - so you may be disappointed. Her quest is going to be involved and for people who like puzzles.

Will I have NPC in the party when playing: Often

3) Coran - he is charming and relatively funny with quick wit. Obviously, has a full set of banters; my favorite are with Imoen and Jaheira. In the interjection phase there are a few instances where his chaotic nature might well irritate the player. In fact many things about him are designed to irritate and endear him to the player at the same time. Darn, he still has some bugs, that I *hope* will be fixed in V8. The most annoying are connected with romance - his flirts will not work and there is a problem with him rejoining after he left in the end of the good romance. His romance is really complex, rotating around Brielbara’s baby and PC’s ability to play the seduction game. I think that his chaotic-neutral version (if baby is rejected) is less likable, but truer to what most people seem to think about him.  His second quest takes place in Firewine ruins and is funny, but females romancing might be irked... er again.  :)

4) Dynaheir - I had a lot of trouble writing her in the beginning and it may show in her banters. Her interjections are not as numerous as I wanted them to be. I think her main interesting point, and what I feel is the best made about the character is her romance. I truly like it now that I reread it before coding. It makes sense and it is relatively smart with an interesting twist - though a bit melodramatic (but I tend to lean that way if not slapped on the wrist often enough).

Will I have NPC in the party when playing: Sometimes

5) Xan - It was love at the second sight. I did not like the character until I talked for a while with Than, and collected some material for him; then I became seriously intrigued. As a result, his talks with PC are rather informative, while banters thoughtful. I like the ones with Jaheira and Tiax the most. His quests and interjections are relatively involved, and his main Quest will be connected to Moonblade.

6) Shar-Teel - I did a fair bit of writing for Shar-Teel recently, adding a more extensive series of dialogue for male PC with low rep, high CHR and high STR, where I used Turkish smashing backstory for Shar-Teel. It helped to break away from 1-dimensionality of the character. One of the hardest blows to the project was Turkish Delight’s disappearance before he evens started working seriously on Shar-Teel.  I still mourn it. The talks were finished as a group effort, with Cliffette helping to edit them, but they still lean one way - that of the ‘I hate males’. I like her banters with Viconia and Eldoth/Skie. Her quest will be not for the weak of heart, I think.

7) Jaheira - I have to say that initial version of banters was weak imo, but Kish helped with editing bringing them to an acceptable level. My favorite banters are those with Khalid and Imoen. What is really really good about Jaheira is her interjection set. Not only it is huge, but it is also very involved. You can see the love Theodur has for the character and the love he would like the character to bestow on Charname. She is still no nonsense and will give you a piece of her mind, but at times, I think she is a bit too accepting of player’s decisions. Her quest is quite complex and takes place in the rather dull Cloakwood area, which is most definitely a plus.

Will I have NPC in the party when playing: No

8) Khalid will surprise you. Hendryk developed a rather soft and wise personality, though very quiet, which is understandable - my only criticism there will be ‘more, please!’ My favorite dialogue for Khalid will be with Kivan and Montaron. It is rather sad that Khalid has very little in the ways of interjections and no quest.

9) Imoen was a collaborative effort between Blucher and Jinnai; some of her interjections were thrown in while testing on suggestions from b-testers and yours truly. She is very teenagerish in this rendition, and bit of a prima donna;  depending on wether you like it or not you will like her in BG1NPC or not. She has a lot of banter and numerous dialogues with the PC. I would like to especially note her dialogue after PC dream - so far nobody but her does it. One of her best bits, I think is her dialogue on Gorions’ grave. My favorite sequence for Imoen is by far her dialogues with Xan in Baldur’s Gate. Her interjections are not as numerous as you would have expected, but they are bunched together where it counts - in the beginning of the game and in Candlekeep. Jinnai is working on more and her quest falls short of epic only by a fingernail. In short, if you let it, BG1 will become an Imoen experience.

10) Xzar has great writing and the most complex interjection out of them all. I have to say that the Undersellar will never be the same again. His personality is undeniably evil and undeniably mad, but you can feel the intelligence in this madness. It is funny and touching by turns. My absolutely favorite banter is that with Imoen about jelly drops and the one with Khalid. If you have seen it, you will know what I mean :) His quest will serve to drive the most patient player to his toes. It can be used for  training in having kids, because wanting is so much more important than having... but very funny if you relax a bit and do not have to test it over and over again! Or if you give in to every one of Xzar’s desires :)

Will I have NPC in the party when playing: Rarely

11) Montaron - my biggest problem with Monty was that being an ESL I cannot understand him well enough, with his masterfully done accent and vocabulary. He is fairly quiet, as befit an assassin and have a very logical way of behaving.  His interjection with Endar Sai is priceless. My favorite banter of his is with Dynaheir. He has no quest, but all Xzar’s encounters have him participating.

12) Garrick - the way banters are done - thorough and with skill, I can only sigh that there is but one dialogue with PC and that a bit too generic. The voice is very much unlike anyone elses’ and he thankfully did not turn into Imoen in breeches. I’d love to have seen more discussion about his past and Silke however. Garrick has a stunning amount of interjections and a nice well-rounded sidequest in Nashkel Carnival and Ulcaster ruins. My favorite banters for Garrick are that with Skie and Xan.

Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 03:10:42 PM »
I should probably write you some more Garrick-PC banters, then, Domi. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 01:42:26 PM »
13) Alora - she is exactly what you expect her to be, with the exception of her banters with Korgan. She is cheerful, and lively. My favorite banters are with Skie and Imoen. Her interjections are not very numerous, but well-placed in the city of Baldur’s Gate, where you find her. There is a possibility that Nightmare will write her quests taking place around BG and connected with her family. Unfortunately, all attempts to find a romance writer for her that I engage in sporadically failed.

14) Ajantis - a long suffering paladin, who changed hands a few times, and finally ended with Seifer and Jastey holding a joint custody. As a result his banter is more ceremonial and profound language-wise, while his romance is more of a ‘your friendly next door noble’; Not entirely impossible, but I’d like to see more coordination on that part. My favorite banters are with Viconia. His interjections are very well done, numerous and placed throughout the game, even where you’d normally won’t have Ajantis (Beregost) for an impatient player - a number of which eager to romance the knight I foresee. One thing about his interjections though, is that they force the player’s choice on a number of occasions. It will be welcome by some and frowned upon by the others.

15) Branwen - one character who turned out not quite the way one would expect. She is not an epic heroine, but rather a down to earth, healthy and strong woman. Once you get used to that discrepancy (if you do have it the way I did), the set grows on you. My favorite banters are with Tiax. It is fast paced, and rather humorous. Her interjections are numerous and well-placed; The definite  highlight is the fight with Tranzig. Jolyth took over romance writing and to my eye it falls rather well with the original banter set. It is perhaps too heavy on ‘descriptive’ element, but majority of people do not mind that. The quest is pending and is promising.

16) Minsc - everyone think that they can write Minsc. Let me tell you that it is not true. I find Aurelius version a very good compromise between comic relief and an endearing character. It is a departure from BG2 Minsc (he is smarter) - but it is on the spot with what BioWARE intended (he grew worth because of Dynaheir’s death). He is definetly not to be pitied and have an air of blunt uncomplicated goodness about him. My favorite banters are with Jaheira, Khalid and Edwin. Interjections are very well done, and the highlight is the one when you try to recruit Edwin. No quest so far.

17) Yeslick - a wonderful set, for a very original NPC. Tancred grows heavily on Yeslick’s advanced age and quite successfully, creating a very believable good-humored, yet fierce dwarven character with a weakness for telling good ol’ stories. My favorite banters - Garrick and Imoen. Interjections are centered against Cloakwood mines, and a highlight will be the one with Rieltar. Tancred promises a quest and I am trying to hold him to his word  :)

18) Tiax has an amazingly big and variable set for such an obvious one-idea wonder. The backstory suggested by Turkish Delight changes him in quite a multi-faceted character, which will come across in his quest. Favorite banters - Imoen. Andyr took the character over, so with his track record of 100+ interjections per character it is to be expected that his unfortunately small interjection set will grow substantially. 

19) Quayle lucked out after being czarless for a time, and surprisingly ended up with a comprehensive set, even if we did not have czar’s guidance when writing talks for him with other NPCs, thanks to Andyr’s attention to what had been written previously. You cannot mistake him for anything but a comic relief, but it’s an honest comic relief not masquerading to be anything else. Favorite banters - with Garrick. He at present has no interjections but will have the set made in a relatively near future.

20) Viconia - good luck to anyone to write Viconia that would satisfy my taste. Even BioWARE’s does not. But, my wretched tastes aside, Viconia has a good set of banters, relatively numerous talks with PC. My favorite banters - with Kivan.  Her huge interjections set is just in and will be included in V8. Her quest is promising to be a kick-ass from what was suggested earlier.

21) Kagain - very well rounded personality; he is a pure profiteer and you cannot go around it. Huge plus is that he is very unlike Korgan form BG2. Favorite banters - with Eldoth. His interjection set is very small, and again - the only critique is please, more! He has a recently submitted quest that makes use of a lose end in the game. A very big lose end.

22) Eldoth - Again, a kid that changed hands, but Hendryk devoutly corrected the previously written banters and edited the set for consistency, so there is not issues of split voice. And the voice is ended up as rather cunning and sophisticated. Highlight is of course his relationship with Skie and those are my favorite banters. His interjections are well placed in Baldur’s Gate and the must see interjection is in the FAI - go try to buy something having Eldoth in the party :)

23) Skie - a nice set even if a bit out of character - it may appear that Skie is bard rather than a thief from it. The interjection set is top-notch and well-placed. There are a couple of nice additional encounters and Skie’s relationships with Eldoth and Garrick are well worth exploring. Favorite banters are with Eldoth, Quayle and Garrick. Quest, unfortunately, appears to be abandoned

24) Safana - a well crafted set of banters, with a well-defined personality. She is quite roguish, adventerous and smooth - all that you are expecting her to be. An interesting twist comes up in conversation with Edwin. Also, there is a nice conceptual idea that Safana connectes herself with sirines. My favorite banters are the ones with Garrick and Edwin. The interjection set is very small, and the quest is not currently in works. I sincerely hope that Kiki can return back to finishing it one of these days. To a disappointment of many a player no romance for Safana is planned.

25) Edwin - it is one of those sets that I love to death, but will not play with the character. It is extremely funny and unlike BG has very little silliness in it. Some will take it amiss, but some might enjoy it. My favorite banters are with Eldoth, Viconia and Faldorn. The interjection set is extensive and have some nasty comments - so no cute and fluffy Edwin here; He will also show interest in courtesans. Merja is currently being actively seduced into writing his Thay-politics-heavy quest to explain why he is chased by Red Wizards in BG2.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 03:07:23 PM by Ashara »
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 03:30:15 PM »
It's extremely important to the people at Studios that I be banned, so you'll have to credit them with taking this particular thought here, but I can't let this one pass:

On Studios, in the mirror of this thread, one S. Conrad states:

And Imrahil, please listen to the points the modders make, okay? It's people time and effort you're ruthlessly putting on a scale, without even bothering to ask for permission first.

This is ridiculous. One does not ask permission or give notice in order to conduct a review. In fact, the most impartial reviews tend to come from those who do not have any special contact with the creator of a product at all (see, for instance, Consumer Reports.)

The only way to keep people from commenting on something you make is to never show it to anybody. Once it's out, it's fair game.

Feedback from the creator of something that has been reviewed should be evaluated whenever possible, yes, but ultimately it's up to the reviewer to decide whether to amend what they have said, dismiss it as inaccurate or irrelevant and stick to his guns, or simply file it away as something to keep in mind for the next time around.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline SConrad

• Spellhold Director
  • Planewalker
  • WeiDU (ab)user
    • Spellhold Studios
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 04:25:55 PM »
It's extremely important to the people at Studios that I be banned, so you'll have to credit them with taking this particular thought here, but I can't let this one pass:

On Studios, in the mirror of this thread, one S. Conrad states:

And Imrahil, please listen to the points the modders make, okay? It's people time and effort you're ruthlessly putting on a scale, without even bothering to ask for permission first.

This is ridiculous. One does not ask permission or give notice in order to conduct a review. In fact, the most impartial reviews tend to come from those who do not have any special contact with the creator of a product at all (see, for instance, Consumer Reports.)

The only way to keep people from commenting on something you make is to never show it to anybody. Once it's out, it's fair game.

Feedback from the creator of something that has been reviewed should be evaluated whenever possible, yes, but ultimately it's up to the reviewer to decide whether to amend what they have said, dismiss it as inaccurate or irrelevant and stick to his guns, or simply file it away as something to keep in mind for the next time around.
Taking things such as these across boards isn't doing anyone any good. In fact, it's just making things worse. It's been pretty quiet as of late, but if you want to do this once again, so be it. It's a pity really, but I'll guess you'll have this week's share of amusement out of it.

I would have expected you to at least quote the full paragraph or linked to the post, but no. Here it is, by the way. The purpose of the post was, as you can see, rather to prevent the heated discussion that was brewing, and you'll notice that I show equal criticism towards the modders as to Imrahil. I was merely trying to get them to meet halfways  in the discussion (oh, and that's not about destroying the purpose of create-and-review, as JC was kind enough to point out in chat, but actually the discussion itself).

About the whole 'permission'-thing, that might have been a bad way to phrase it, I'll admit. I didn't say that reviewing was bad and if you interpreted it that way, feel free to point out the words that made you believe such a thing. It was Imrahil's tone in the discussion that resulted in my comment. Still, I'd say there's a difference between a customer report and a mod review. People mod for fun, people play for fun. Thrashing other people's work isn't. And before you go off flaming me for critcising Imrahil's review, I just want to add a little notice and say that I'm not criticising it. My entire post was based on what had been said in the thread - hence I was criticising what people had said in the topic.

No offence to either Imrahil or the involved moddes - I was just, once again, trying to prevent a heated discussion, or at least smother the flames a bit.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 11:57:07 PM by Bons »
sconrad.net

jcompton: "When did the switch flip in your brain that made this make sense to you?"

Spellhold Studios - Where the switch flipped in our brains that made things make sense!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 04:43:22 PM »
Taking things such as these across boards isn't doing anyone any good.

Wasn't my first choice, but I keep getting all these mysterious errors when I try to post there...

I would have expected you to at least quote the full paragraph or linked to the post, but no.

When I click that link I get a mysterious error. Why would I provide broken links to people?

It was Imrahil's tone in the discussion that resulted in my comment. Still, I'd say there's a difference between a customer report and a mod review.

This may be a context problem. In the US, and perhaps elsewhere, there is an organization called Consumers Union, which publishes a monthly publication called Consumer Reports. Unlike most publications that review products, Consumer Reports does not take free samples for review from manufacturers: they buy the products retail using funds from Consumer Reports subscribers and donors. They also do not accept advertising. The review process leaves the producer out of the equation entirely, which is a good way to be. (Not usually the way I work, incidentally, when I review products for magazines simply because it takes a lot of resources and clout to work the way they work, but they're still an admirable model.)

People mod for fun, people play for fun. Thrashing other people's work isn't.

Sure it is, but that's a different matter.

And just because something is provided at no cost and done on a lark doesn't mean it can't (or, more importantly, won't) bear criticism. If my neighbor paints his house an ugly color, I'm entitled to say, "My, my. What an ugly color!" And he's entitled to be proud of his paint job nonetheless... or consider something different next time.

Again. If one doesn't want one's work to be commented on, in a semi-formal review or in a discussion about reviews or whatever, don't release it.

Offline SConrad

• Spellhold Director
  • Planewalker
  • WeiDU (ab)user
    • Spellhold Studios
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 05:07:12 PM »
When I click that link I get a mysterious error. Why would I provide broken links to people?
How did you get the quote in the first place, in that case?

This may be a context problem. In the US, and perhaps elsewhere, there is an organization called Consumers Union, which publishes a monthly publication called Consumer Reports. Unlike most publications that review products, Consumer Reports does not take free samples for review from manufacturers: they buy the products retail using funds from Consumer Reports subscribers and donors. They also do not accept advertising. The review process leaves the producer out of the equation entirely, which is a good way to be. (Not usually the way I work, incidentally, when I review products for magazines simply because it takes a lot of resources and clout to work the way they work, but they're still an admirable model.)
Not relevant, since a mod-review is quite different, at least in my book.

Sure it is, but that's a different matter.

And just because something is provided at no cost and done on a lark doesn't mean it can't (or, more importantly, won't) bear criticism. If my neighbor paints his house an ugly color, I'm entitled to say, "My, my. What an ugly color!" And he's entitled to be proud of his paint job nonetheless... or consider something different next time.

Again. If one doesn't want one's work to be commented on, in a semi-formal review or in a discussion about reviews or whatever, don't release it.
Are you talking about people's right to say what they think? Because in this case, I wonder where you got this from.

And still, there is a question of courtesy. There are 'nice' ways to hand out criticism, as well. You may or may not be familiar with it, I wouldn't know.
sconrad.net

jcompton: "When did the switch flip in your brain that made this make sense to you?"

Spellhold Studios - Where the switch flipped in our brains that made things make sense!

Offline Exodus

• 1 half of the omg we are teh funy team
  • Planewalker
  • Redhead
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 05:11:44 PM »

Actually, it's not that much of a biggie.  You're in good company though, Mprilla is on the substitutes bench as well but I doubt the coach'll pitch him in.

And as for you two...well, handbags at 10 paces!

I fully agree that when a mod is released to the public domain it stands up for criticism but I believe that some tact is also needed on behalf of the reviewer as well.  My issue with that review is that they all seem superficially marked and there is one big flaw in the logic of the reviewer.  He's taken all his links and whatnot from your database when a little investigation on his own part would have yielded what mods were completed and what version numbers he should be looking at.

Subjectively, I have no problem with people telling me my mods are shit even if I have a desire for feedback of a constructive kind.

Public Warning - Seifer is one half of the crack elite team recognised by JC as the "omg we are teh funy" team!  You have been warned!

http://www.omgwearetehfuny.net

Offline jester

• Here be dragons...
  • Planewalker
  • If you fail, fail gloriously.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 05:56:58 PM »
I may not be the right person to talk to about this as I try to keep up with as much of the good stuff as I can, but once in a while I cherish mod reviews, the broader the better. Imrahil's system worked very well for me as his smethod of judging was easy to use with some minor glitches which were explained anyway. I never knew how many evil thief options were around before and how they were different, so this is just one example of this review leaving me with the instant bliss of a broadened horizon. Yeah I know (or assume from what I have heard) that modding is a lot of work and  I have also been told that it is a lot of fun too for the ones involved in the creation. The community is so diverse that while some advocate that clerics should be allowed everything that is sharp and pointy, others think that commoners like veggie merchants should have their shot at making it big (myself included). So being judged by one person is good as you can translate what is said into your own RPing system according to how you felt about those NPCs mentioned. It is not as if he says 'XXX sucks' without giving you arguments and the underlying framework.

If you are asking for advertising, put up a banner, but I value the effort that went into the testing and the writing of the reviews. As for not getting the latest revisions to test: This could be a hint on how to communicate changes to the fanbase. ;) G3 has an RSS feed for that which I find quite useful.

the short: when readmes don't cut it, a review can give you a good overview what things might be about.

@Ashara: This Tutu NPC overview is excellent. ;) :D Now where did I put those cds?
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Why spend all your day surfing for porn?

Balance in all things
I haven't had this much fun since... the last time.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 06:26:01 PM »
Don't blame the Modlist for your issues with Imrahil's reviews. 

The Modlist contains LINKS.  Not files, not readmes, not reviews.  If a mod is posted for the public, I will link to it, plain and simple.  I will not play politics over a URL. 

Anyone clicking a link in the Modlist has the full ability to read whether the mod is complete or not based on the documentation the modder provides.  That is why I will not link directly to files. 

If there is a listing in the modlist that should be edited with an alpha/beta/uncompleted warning, then I'm just an email/PM away.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 06:29:13 PM »
Following Domi's comments, I have begun writing some additional Garrick-PC material for BG1 NPC. Expect it in the next version. :)

As well as those Quayle and Viconia interjects...
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Shodan

• Goddess Of A.I.
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 06:43:25 PM »
Huh? Since when is it a problem when someone reviews a MOD? If I'm allowed to download and play the mod, I can say whatever i want. If I don't like it, I'll say it. If I love it, I'll say it. If you don't want people to talk about your mod, then please don't release it. You're bound to get negative aswell as positive feedback on your mod. I was planning on doing the same thing.
Though I don't agree with everything said in the review, I find quite a feat that someone reviewed all NPC's mods.
"Loo-loo-look at you hacker; a p-pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, (panting) panting and sweating as you ru-run through my corridors. H-h-how can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine"

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 07:39:11 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to play so many mods, Imrahil, and for bothering to give some feedback on your experiences as a player. I find it beneficial, even if I weigh things differently when I am evaluating an NPC, because it allows insight into a different player perpective. All around, your reviews are educational, whether my own opinion matches or not.  (Thieves not powerful? I... I don't understand! :) )
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline Exodus

• 1 half of the omg we are teh funy team
  • Planewalker
  • Redhead
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 07:53:44 PM »
Christ sake mate, read the message.  At no point in time have I castigated or condemned the list/database.  How you maintain it is your sole affair and from what I can see, you do a bloody food job of it.  I get as tired of all this political crap as you do.

My sole concern as per last message is that if the author of said criticism had read around each mod then his opinions wouldn't have appeared as superficial as they do.  Criticising a mod in progress is like condeming a half constructed house for having bad roofing.

Ill advised and pointless.

Don't blame the Modlist for your issues with Imrahil's reviews. 

The Modlist contains LINKS.  Not files, not readmes, not reviews.  If a mod is posted for the public, I will link to it, plain and simple.  I will not play politics over a URL. 

Anyone clicking a link in the Modlist has the full ability to read whether the mod is complete or not based on the documentation the modder provides.  That is why I will not link directly to files. 

If there is a listing in the modlist that should be edited with an alpha/beta/uncompleted warning, then I'm just an email/PM away.
Public Warning - Seifer is one half of the crack elite team recognised by JC as the "omg we are teh funy" team!  You have been warned!

http://www.omgwearetehfuny.net

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2005, 08:41:36 PM »
My sole concern as per last message is that if the author of said criticism had read around each mod then his opinions wouldn't have appeared as superficial as they do.  Criticising a mod in progress is like condeming a half constructed house for having bad roofing.

Ill advised and pointless.

If you don't want comments on your "half constructed house", don't put it on the market and invite people to move in.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 08:53:51 PM »
Goo got a terrible review, and you don't see me whining.  Although his voice acting, as usual for the mods I make, was the only thing to get a good word.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2005, 08:59:25 PM »
It is a quick review of NPCs from BG1NPCs. I am obviously bias, subjective etc, but on another hand I have seen it all more often than anyone else, I suppose.

Yeah, the bias bit is why I wanted someone unattached to the project to write the review.  Not that bias is a bad thing, since everyone ought to be proud of their stuff.  Plus, I'm interested in hearing what people think of Indira.

Besides, anyone who adores Kivan as thoroughly as you do obviously can't be trusted. :P
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2005, 02:18:24 AM »
I find quite a feat that someone reviewed all NPC's mods.
Actually he didn't; there are a few missing, and not just brand new NPCs either.  Still an impressive number though :).
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline jester

• Here be dragons...
  • Planewalker
  • If you fail, fail gloriously.
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 03:08:15 AM »
I think being biased is not a bad thing as it seems at first. Everybody sports his/her own playing style and relies on magix, dexterous swordplay or luv-making and poetry, but I agree that more reviews would bring different angles. Encourage more reviews and we all will benefit from it. ;)
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Why spend all your day surfing for porn?

Balance in all things
I haven't had this much fun since... the last time.

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2005, 08:36:37 AM »
It is a quick review of NPCs from BG1NPCs. I am obviously bias, subjective etc, but on another hand I have seen it all more often than anyone else, I suppose.

Yeah, the bias bit is why I wanted someone unattached to the project to write the review.  Not that bias is a bad thing, since everyone ought to be proud of their stuff.  Plus, I'm interested in hearing what people think of Indira.

Besides, anyone who adores Kivan as thoroughly as you do obviously can't be trusted. :P

O, I would like to see reviews as well, but I am sort of hoping to bring in Phase III home before recieving any sort of constructive feedback and finding someone insane enough to play with all 25 :) From assorted statements that I heard, Xzar, Montaron, Imoen and Kivan (well, sorry) were noted as NPCs people liked. Anyway, I added a thread for reviews on main forum, so maybe someone will have something to say :) .

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?&act=ST&f=45&t=2601
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 09:19:44 AM by Ashara »
—George R.R. Martin

-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2005, 10:31:21 AM »
From assorted statements that I heard, Xzar, Montaron, Imoen and Kivan (well, sorry) were noted as NPCs people liked.

So far I've only played through the Nashkel mines then returned to Beregost (with a bit of wandering to and fro, but not too much), and that was using Phase II, so I haven't really seen all that much in the way of content, but I enjoyed my game with Montaron, Garrick, Viconia, Xan, and Mur'Neth.  Presumably I also had Xzar, but I can't remember how he died.  I think I also had Kagain for a bit, too, but he died as well.
Earn Money Sleeping.