Author Topic: Building and Maintaining a Clean Install  (Read 132325 times)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Building and Maintaining a Clean Install
« on: December 12, 2004, 12:57:01 PM »
One of the most common oversights made by gamers and modders alike is the lack of creating and maintaining a clean game installation.  Most of us are aware of the "garbled/no text" problem that many people face when installing a mod.  By following the steps listed below, we may all be able to save ourselves a bit of time by making this potentially frustrating problem much easier to cope with.

If you find yourself needing to do a reinstall of the game and do not have a backup ready, don't worry--we've got instructions for you, too (which, consequently, will detail how to make a backup to prevent future occurences.  :))

And now, we have backups available, as well. Reinstall your game in about 30 seconds:

Important note: in most cases, replacing override directory and dialog.tlk is enough. The attached baldur.ini.frombackup may record a different game directory - use your old baldur.ini instead.

ATTENTION: sometimes restoring a clean backup may still mean starting a new game, as your old saved games may be rendered impossible to play.

SoA Backup
ToB Backup

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:30:35 AM by Kulyok »
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Building and Maintaining a Clean Install
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 12:57:06 PM »
TO BUILD A CLEAN INSTALL

1.) Install the original game from the manufacturer's CD(s)
2.) Install the official manufacturer expansion (if any)
3.) Install the official patch for the game (make sure you have the correct if you have installed an official expansion)
4.) OPTIONAL: Install the Baldurdash/Dudleyfix (except for Tutu installations)/Restoration unofficial patches
ATTENTION: Skip this step, if you are going to install G3 BG2 Fixpack at any point in the future.
5.) Run the game's configuration program so that settings can be made to the baldur.ini file
6.) Create a new directory where you have installed the game titled backup[/i]
7.) Copy (do not move) the following files to the backup[/i] directory:
  • dialog.tlk
  • chitin.key
  • baldur.ini
  • bgmain.exe/bgmain.exe/idmain.exe/iwd2.exe/torment.exe (depending on the game)**
  • the entire override folder (not just the contents--copy the ENTIRE folder)
8.) Play the game and install mods, secure in the knowledge that any future glitches can be solved much easier than with a full reinstall  :)
9.) *optional* - If hard disk space is at a premium for you, you can zip/rar up this backup directory, and even burn it to a CD

**: NB - While not officially endorsed, if you decide to use a no-CD crack, you will need to run it before you copy the *.exe file into the backup directory.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:42:15 AM by Kulyok »

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 01:00:50 PM »
TO RESTORE A CLEAN INSTALL

1.) Delete the file weidu.log[/i] from the game's main directory
2.) Delete the entire override folder from the game's main directory
2.) Copy (do not move) the following files from the backup[/i] directory to the game's main directory (answer "yes" when asked if you'd like to overwrite existing files):
  • dialog.tlk
  • chitin.key
  • baldur.ini
  • bgmain.exe/bgmain.exe/idmain.exe/iwd2.exe/torment.exe (depending on the game)
8.) Your game should now be restored to its original state.  Reinstallation not necessary.  :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 06:36:11 PM by icelus »

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 01:20:10 PM »
REINSTALLING WITHOUT A BACKUP

1.) Delete the file weidu.log[/i] from the game's main directory
2.) Delete the entire override folder from the game's main directory
3.) Install the original game from the manufacturer's CD(s)
4.) Install the official manufacturer expansion (if any)
5.) Install the official patch for the game (make sure you have the correct if you have installed an official expansion)
6.) OPTIONAL: Install the Baldurdash/Dudleyfix (except for Tutu installations)/Restoration unofficial patches
ATTENTION: Skip this step, if you are going to install G3 BG2 Fixpack at any point in the future.
7.) Run the game's configuration program so that settings can be made to the baldur.ini file
8.) Create a new directory where you have installed the game titled backup[/i]
9.) Copy (do not move) the following files to the backup[/i] directory:
  • dialog.tlk
  • chitin.key
  • baldur.ini
  • bgmain.exe/bgmain.exe/idmain.exe/iwd2.exe/torment.exe (depending on the game)**
  • the entire override folder (not just the contents--copy the ENTIRE folder
10.) Play the game and install mods, secure in the knowledge that any future glitches can be solved much easier than with a full reinstall  :)
11.) *optional* - If hard disk space is at a premium for you, you can zip/rar up this backup directory, and even burn it to a CD

**: NB - While not officially endorsed, if you decide to use a no-CD crack, you will need to run it before you copy the *.exe file into the backup directory.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:41:30 AM by Kulyok »

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 03:59:47 PM »
INSTALLING THE GAME AND MODS ON A LINUX SYSTEM

Voltago has done a good job of putting together an instruction guide on installing the game and various mods on a Linux system. 

Details are here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=243593

Offline Ender

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 06:07:18 AM »
TO BUILD A CLEAN INSTALL

1.) Install the original game from the manufacturer's CD(s)
2.) Install the official manufacturer expansion (if any)
3.) Install the official patch for the game (make sure you have the correct if you have installed an official expansion)
4.) OPTIONAL: Install the Baldurdash/Dudleyfix (except for Tutu installations)/Restoration unofficial patches
5.) Run the game's configuration program so that settings can be made to the baldur.ini file
6.) Create a new directory where you have installed the game titled backup[/i]
7.) Copy (do not move) the following files to the backup[/i] directory:
  • dialog.tlk
  • chitin.key
  • baldur.ini
8.) Play the game and install mods, secure in the knowledge that any future glitches can be solved much easier than with a full reinstall :)
9.) *optional* - If hard disk space is at a premium for you, you can zip/rar up this backup directory, and even burn it to a CD

This is a bit dated. Do Not include the optional step 4: Install Baldurdash/Dudleyfix etc., if you are going to install the BGIIFixPack (found at http://www.gibberlings3.net/).  Create your backup files before installing anything except the official patch.
Same with Reinstalling Without a Backup, step 6.
Installing the BGIIFixPack on top of Baldurdash, etc. will severely mess up your game.

I know this thread is old, but it is still the most obvious reference to building a clean backup if you do a search, and since I am now in the middle of recovering from installing the BGIIFixPack on top of Baldurdash (I created my clean files long ago, and forgot about Baldurdash), I thought updating this thread might save someone else the headache.
"By all means, take the moral high ground - all that heavenly backlighting makes you a much easier target." - Solomon Short

thankful

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 06:51:12 PM »
It did. Thanks.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 01:44:36 PM »
And now, you can also get your SoA, ToB and EasyTUTU backups here, ready and waiting. :)

liriodendron

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 11:53:17 AM »
I followed these instructions but when trying to run the game once more after copying the appropriate files, I get this error message.   An assertion failed in ChDimm.Cpp at line number 599   Programmer says: Unable to open BIF:data\HdOGMosc.bif.  What do I do now?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 12:50:58 PM »
You have to download HdOGMosc.bif somewhere - either buy a new disc, or try and clean the existing one, or google it around.

liriodendron

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 02:39:36 PM »
It doesn't seem to be the disk...when I did the re-install the long way, the game started up normally.  I did a search for that file and couldn't find it on any of the 5 disks, my computer, or google.  I'm really confused about what that file is...where it is...and why I only need it if I'm doing the quick install?! 

Adam

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 10:20:34 AM »
Does this remove the need to uninstall your mods?  I have been first uninstalling all my mods and then doing this after, because I had always thought this was just to make sure that all your files were back to completely normal because some mods leave little bits of themselves that they can't uninstall.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 11:00:06 AM »
You should empty Backup folders of your mods, together with deleting dialog.tlk/override/weidu.log and then, yes, installing them again(without deleting mod folders and installing them anew) should go fine.

Adam

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 12:32:14 PM »
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I already made my backup and its all good. My question is that if you have a bunch of mods install already, and you wish to restore a clean install, do you have to uninstall all the mods manually, then restore your backup? Or do you just replace the override, dialog, etc. right away, without bothering to uninstall your mods.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 12:44:04 PM »
You just replace, and after replacing, you have a clean game.

However, you must either
- delete your mod folders present in Baldur's Gate directory and install new mods/install these mods anew from their original exe's/rar's;
- delete the content of the mod directories' backup subfolders and later install them via Setup-Mod.exe from Baldur's Gate directory(without unpacking anything).

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 06:29:11 PM »
Adam, I use your method: uninstall all mods, particularly to clear out the backup folders; then do the steps in the first few posts (minus the outdated bits).

Some of us have discussed some automated options for install/uninstall using weidu in [this thread].

To all: If the topics in this thread seem too confusing, stick to manual methods described in above posts.
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 06:37:10 PM »
I followed these instructions but when trying to run the game once more after copying the appropriate files, I get this error message.   An assertion failed in ChDimm.Cpp at line number 599   Programmer says: Unable to open BIF:data\HdOGMosc.bif.  What do I do now?

I have the same problem.  A full install worked just fine, but trying to use this method--no go.  I get the "unable to open" message. Any idea why? Or where on the CD it might be?

Edit to add: I just did a search & it does not show up.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:44:20 PM by Bookwyrme »
Stop by my blog over at Bookwyrme's Lair, my collection of reviews, pictures, and general ramblings. I also review comics and books over at FanboyNation.

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 07:43:15 PM »
I have the file in my full-install BG2 folder. No, I will not email it to anyone.

Did you try disc cleaning, or faking a Full install from a Minimum.
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 08:46:57 PM »
No.

I actually tried the restore-using-the-backup method twice (Different installs) to see, and got the same message each time. 

A full uninstall/reinstall worked just fine, so it isn't the disks that are at fault.

Edit to ask: Where in the full-install BG2 folder? I still can't locate it, and, since it's working, it must be there.

Edit again to add: BTW, the installs it wouldn't work for were both full installs already.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 12:26:25 AM by Bookwyrme »
Stop by my blog over at Bookwyrme's Lair, my collection of reviews, pictures, and general ramblings. I also review comics and books over at FanboyNation.

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »
All BIFs should be in the data folder.
Community Contributions

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 01:03:01 AM »
And so it is.

Thank you.

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 10:22:10 AM »
You know, I tried this method again, using the backups thoughtfully provided, and I *still* got the same message.  I even had a previously saved copy of the .bif to paste in--and it said I was replacing it--and it still didn't work.

Weird.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 11:09:51 AM »
Well, .bif file wouldn't be in override - these backups won't have it. You want this file?

Guest42

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 08:05:29 PM »
I followed the instructions to make a "clean install" on this thread, and now I am having the very same problem Bookwyrme described. Does anyone know the cause of this error ?

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 09:12:17 PM »
Well, .bif file wouldn't be in override - these backups won't have it. You want this file?

Thanks, but I had a copy of it saved already.  It just didn't work--there was actually already one in the folder, but the game would not recognize *it* either.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: