Author Topic: Sarevok's remorse dialogue (spoilers, sort of)  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Sovran

• Planewalker
Sarevok's remorse dialogue (spoilers, sort of)
« on: December 01, 2004, 04:34:57 PM »
Written and commented by Winterine and myself. Scrutinise away.
You can copy it and compile it into a DLG, if you wish -- probably easier to read that way.

BEGIN TAMOKO

IF ~Global("SarevokTamoko","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN START
SAY ~Truly impressive.~
+ + ~What is?~ // samused-1? astute-1?
DO ~SetGlobal("SarevokTamoko","GLOBAL",2)~
GOTO DUH
+ + ~If it's the fight you're talking about, I don't think so.~ // minimum int/wis
GOTO NOPE
+ + ~You find something in this pointless slaughter *impressive*?  What in the hells are you talking about, Sarevok?~ // minimum int/wis
GOTO DUH
+ + ~Yes, yes, whatever.~
GOTO WHATEVER
+ + ~Indeed.  This carnage is a sight worth seeing.~ // minimum int/wis
GOTO YEP
+ + ~Yes, the battle was memorable enough.~ // minimum int/wis
GOTO PERHAPS
+ + ~I know what you mean.  You can't help being amazed at the stupidity of those who are now dead before us.~ // samused +1. minimum int/wis/cha?
GOTO STUPID
+ + ~Thank you.  I *do* take pride in my abilities.~ 
GOTO OFF
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN STUPID
SAY ~Hmph.  True enough, though that was not what I had in mind.~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO WHAT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OFF
SAY ~Bah!  I was not commenting on your abilities, but on the carnage and death, and your connection to it.~
IF ~~ THEN GOTO WHAT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN WHAT
SAY ~By whatever means, and regardless of the situation and perhaps even your original intent, you prove time and again that you are indeed a spawn of the Lord of Murder.  I find that impressive.  Don't you?~
+ + ~No.  Killing is sometimes necessary.  That I am a child of Bhaal is mere coincidence.~

GOTO DENY
+ + ~Sarevok, it is not so much my lack of finding it impressive, but more realizing that were it not for me, some of those now dead might have been living happy, ordinary lives.~ 
GOTO REGRET
+ + ~Well, when you put it that way...  I guess.~
GOTO GUESS
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN DUH
SAY ~What do you think I am talking about, fool?  You, carving your destiny out of the lives of others, letting nothing get in your way.~
+ + ~What?!  Look, I don't know what you make of this mess I'm in, but that doesn't sound like my plans at all.  I don't enjoy killing the way you seem to.~
GOTO REGRET
+ + ~I'm not surprised that you'd think so, but I don't revel in this slaughter.~
GOTO REGRET
+ + ~Ah yes, that sounds good.  I just had lots on my mind.  Make sure *you* don't get in my way, though, Sarevok.  Your connection to me won't save you.~
GOTO EVIL
+ + ~That much is true.  How very perceptive of you.~
GOTO EVIL
+ + ~I do what must be done.  There's no point in making more of it than it is.~
GOTO NOPE
+ + ~Good that you're entertained.  Let's get this spectacle moving, then.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN NOPE
SAY ~And why not?  Are you not impressed at yourself for surviving another fight?  Do you not feel each death before you bringing you one step closer to your destiny?  That every kill you make adds another reason why you are a spawn of Bhaal, and not just some sniveling <PRO_GIRLBOY> from Candlekeep?~
+ + ~No.  Killing is sometimes necessary.  That I am a Bhaalspawn is mere coincidence.~ 
GOTO DENY
+ + ~Sarevok, it is not so much my lack of finding it impressive, but more realizing that were it not for me, some of those now dead might have been living happy, ordinary lives.~ 
GOTO REGRET
GOTO GUESS
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN WHATEVER
SAY ~So indifferent to your connection to the carnage about us?  By whatever means, and regardless of the situation and perhaps even your original intent, you prove time and again that you are indeed a spawn of the Lord of Murder.  I find that impressive.  Don't you?~
+ + ~No.  Killing is sometimes necessary.  That I am a child of Bhaal is mere coincidence.~
GOTO DENY
GOTO REGRET
GOTO GUESS
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN YEP
SAY ~You live up to your heritage quite well, <CHARNAME>.  The future looks promising.~
+ + ~That wasn't what I meant. I'm not trying to walk in any dead god's footsteps.~

GOTO DENY
+ + ~It certainly does.  No one is going to get in the way of me and my birthright.~
GOTO EVIL
+ + ~I'm not surprised that you'd think so, but I don't revel in this slaughter.~
GOTO REGRET
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN PERHAPS
SAY ~Perhaps.  But more than that, I speak of your connection to the carnage.  By whatever means, and regardless of the situation and perhaps even your original intent, you prove time and again that you are indeed a spawn of the Lord of Murder.  I find that impressive.  Don't you?~
+ + ~Not really.  A fight can be exciting, and killing is sometimes necessary, but that I am a child of Bhaal is mere coincidence.~ 
GOTO DENY
+ + ~I'm not particularly proud of that.  Were it not for me, some of those now dead might have been living happy, ordinary lives. That's all too easy to forget in the heat of the battle.~
GOTO REGRET
GOTO GUESS
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN EVIL
SAY ~(He chuckles.) It appears I made the right decision in joining you, after all.~ IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END
// You're not planning to use the audio for this, though, are you? I think it could be disconcerting to have one voiced line in the middle (OK, the end) of a non-voiced conversation.
// @chance for redemption reduced or prevented: reduced, I think? Let's leave it to the players to stay in character. :)
// Winter:  about the audio.  lol well, the though DID occur to me, but I thought put it there (without audio) for consistancy *shrugs* :)  As in, it's something he WOULD say...and conventiently he DOES say it, in the right circumstance.  Ah, nevermind me...!  Oh and yeah, reduced then, not prevented, to be nice to the players and give them a chance.
// Sovran: I hear you, and it does make sense that he would say it. Inserting the audio there just might be a bit inadvertently humorous.

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN GUESS
SAY ~Of course.  You live up to your heritage quite well, <CHARNAME>.  The future looks promising.~
+ + ~That wasn't what I meant. I'm not trying to walk in any dead god's footsteps.~
GOTO DENY
+ + ~It certainly does.  No one is going to get in the way of me and my birthright.~
GOTO EVIL
+ + ~I'm not surprised that you'd think so. But I still don't revel in this slaughter the way you seem to.~
GOTO REGRET
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN DENY
SAY ~Bah!  Don't tell me you're *still* denying yourself and who you are!  Look around you, fool!  Death is everywhere in your life.  Are you so frightened that you cannot come to terms with such simple truths?~
 + + ~Leave me be, Sarevok, I am in no mood to talk to you.~
GOTO QUIT
+ + ~Of course I can.   I kill as it suits me.  You did the same.  You would *still* do the same, wouldn't you?~
GOTO KILLER
+ + ~That's not the issue here!  Don't you regret causing so much death?  Ever?~ 
GOTO REGRET
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN QUIT
SAY ~Ah yes.  Poor <CHARNAME> is retreating again.  How unsurprising.~ IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN KILLER
SAY ~Of course.  But I'm not sure you are sincere in what you say.~
+ + ~I am.  You'll see.  I'll kill anything that gets in my way.  Or doubts me.  Including you.~
GOTO EVIL
+ + ~Believe what you will.  Now leave me be.~
GOTO QUIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN REGRET
SAY ~Don't tell me you feel regret at the need to kill.  Or do you rather regret those you *have* killed?~
=
~Is it, perhaps, a specific person, or a select few, whose deaths you regret?~
+ + ~Well...  no.  Those that died by my hand deserved it, one way or another.~
GOTO KILLER
+ + ~I do regret having to kill, if not for the act itself, then for the consequences of the deaths.~
GOTO BAH
+ + ~Yes, I feel regret.  Too many kills by my hand are kills I should have been able to avoid.~
GOTO WHY
+ + ~I don't usually give it that much thought.  I just don't enjoy killing, either.~
GOTO WHY
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN BAH
SAY ~Bah.  Consequences?  What is there to worry about?  You are alive, your foes are dead.  The consequence is that you have one less obstruction on the path to your destiny.~
+ + ~Perhaps one less, directly, but what of the loved ones of the fallen?~ 
GOTO IRRELE
+ + ~You must see it's not that simple.  Take me, for instance: if you hadn't murdered Gorion, I might not have gone after you.  You brought your downfall upon yourself.~ // int/wis requirement
GOTO FALL
+ + ~That's what you think, but you tend to get what you deserve in the end.  You'll see.~
GOTO CORNY
+ + ~That's a crude philosophy, but I guess it serves its purpose.~
GOTO LESSON
+ + ~You don't know what you're talking about.  Now leave me be.~
GOTO QUIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN WHY
SAY ~Why?  What is there to hinder you?  You do feel the thrill of battle; I have recognized it in you.  And afterwards, you are alive and your foes are dead, and you have one less obstruction on the path to your destiny.~
+ + ~No thought to the victims, then?  And what of the loved ones of the fallen?~ 
GOTO IRRELE
+ + ~You must see it's not that simple.  Take me, for instance: if you hadn't murdered Gorion, I might not have gone after you.  You brought your downfall upon yourself.~ // int/wis requirement
GOTO FALL
+ + ~That's what you think, but you tend to get what you deserve in the end.  You'll see.~
GOTO CORNY
+ + ~That's a crude philosophy, but I guess it serves its purpose.~
GOTO LESSON
+ + ~You don't know what you're talking about.  Now leave me be.~
GOTO QUIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN IRRELE
SAY ~Irrelevant.~ 
+ + ~Fine.  If not the nameless masses, then, what about the named individuals?  Do you claim never to have cared about someone who's had to suffer because of you?~ // int/wis requirement? Maybe cha, too?
GOTO TAMOKO
+ + ~Not so.  Had your murder of Gorion affected me so deeply, I might not have gone after you.  In a sense you brought your downfall upon yourself.~ // int/wis requirement
GOTO FALL
+ + ~I don't think so.  These things have a way of coming back to bite you when you least expect it.~
GOTO CORNY
+ + ~If that's what you think, I really don't have anything to say to you.~
GOTO QUIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN TAMOKO
SAY ~(Sarevok falls silent for a moment.)  I assume you speak of Tamoko.  I know that she confronted you.~
+ + ~That she did.  And you forced that confrontation. She is dead, now, because of you.  Is that irrelevant, too?~
GOTO UNFOR
+ + ~Yes.  For all her demands of me - that I ruin your plans, and your dignity, yet spare your life - in the end, she would have defended you to the death to regain your favor.  I refused to fight her, though.~ // minimum int/wis/cha?
GOTO REFUSE
+ + ~And I killed her.  She had it coming, too, although you and your influence sure didn't help.~
GOTO KILLED
+ + ~What, is that a hint of emotion I hear?  Not quite as dead to the world as you'd like to be, hm?~ // minimum int/wis?
GOTO UNFOR
+ + ~Maybe she did.  That's ancient history now, though, it hardly matters.  I asked on a general level.~
GOTO HISTORY
+ + ~I've no idea what you're talking about.~
GOTO HISTORY
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN HISTORY
SAY ~Not so fast, if you please.  Tamoko faced you, and now she is dead.  I would be in a position to know.  And I am *interested* in knowing how it happened.~
+ + ~I think you know.  You forced the confrontation between her and I. She is dead because of you.  Is that irrelevant, too?~
GOTO UNFOR
+ + ~Why are you looking at me?  I've no idea how she died.~
GOTO REFUSE
+ + ~It isn't me you're looking for.  Despite her plans against your ambitions and stratagems, in the end, she would have defended you to the death to regain your favor.  But I refused to fight her.~ // minimum int/wis/cha?
GOTO REFUSE
+ + ~I should have thought you'd be beyond caring in hell.~
GOTO UNFOR
+ + ~What do you think?  I killed her.  She had it coming, too, although you and your influence sure didn't help.~ 
GOTO KILLED
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN REFUSE
SAY ~You didn't kill her?~
+ + ~Maybe I didn't.  Or maybe I did.  It's long in the past now, anyway. Does it make a difference that she was among the irrelevant masses?~
GOTO UNFOR
+ + ~No.  And in that, she said, you and I were different.  I refused to kill her simply because she was in my way; you would have had no such compunctions.  So she turned her back on what you had become.  She gave me her blessing to kill you.~
// I don't have BG1 installed on this computer ATM, but I'll check the dialogue to make sure this is absolutely consistent with that. This was the general idea, though.
GOTO BLESS
// or maybe GOTO something like LIE, depending on int/wis/cha? He might not believe this, if charname isn't convincing enough?
+ + ~I *really* don't know what you're talking about.  Why are you pestering me about this, anyway?~ // samused-1? Or something similar.
GOTO KILLED
+ + ~No, I didn't.  And if she's dead, whoever did the deed, I'd say you're as responsible as if you had struck the blow yourself.~
GOTO UNFOR
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN BLESS
SAY ~(Sarevok stares at you for a long moment, as if trying to bore into your thoughts.  Then, unexpectedly, his gaze shifts away.)  Apparently it did her little good in the end.~
+ + ~Look, I'm sorry I opened up old wounds, but my point is if you regret nothing of your past, then fine.  But if you do, with the second chance at life I have given you, you can try something different.~ // compassion+1
GOTO NICE
+ + ~There's more to it.  Does the name Yoshimo say anything to you?~
GOTO YOSHIMO
+ + ~Even she rejected you!  Doesn't that make any difference?  Doesn't that make you want to undo at least some of the things you did?~ // challenge+1?
GOTO EXPERT
+ + ~Apparently.  Is that all her fate means to you?~
GOTO UNFOR
END
// Winter:  yep, I agree, journal idea yeppers :)  So I guess we'd have to fix something up if CHARNAME doesn't go to the ilmater shrine ...?
// Sovran: Or this option would be available *only* if Charname does go to the Ilmater shrine. You want Yoshimo content, you do the quest. *shrug* Yet that leaves the question what if you start a new game in ToB. Once again, third opinion.

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN UNFOR
SAY ~(He gazes at you for a moment, as if measuring you and your words.  You see anger building up behind his eyes.)  Her death was... unfortunate.~ 
+ + ~Look, I'm sorry I opened up old wounds, but my point is if you regret nothing of your past, then fine.  But if you do, with the second chance at life I have given you, you can try something different.~ // compassion+1
GOTO NICE
+ + ~There's more to it.  Does the name Yoshimo say anything to you?~
GOTO YOSHIMO
+ + ~Yes, unfortunate.  So don't be stupid and make me kill someone else you care about this time around and you'll be fine.~ // challenge+1
GOTO BLUNT
+ + ~This may be a bad time, but believe it or not, I didn't actually kill her.  During and after your downfall, the Iron Throne went on a mad hunt after you and anyone associated with you.~
// This might be something you'd learn from Yoshimo's journal? I know, I know, shameless promotion of my own ideas... :P
GOTO THRONE
+ + ~Or fortunate, if you look at it the other way.  If she hadn't been killed, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.~
GOTO OTHER
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN KILLED
SAY  ~So it is as I assumed.  (He gazes at you for a moment, his expression unfathomable.) Her death was... unfortunate.~ 
GOTO NICE
+ + ~There's more to it.  Does the name Yoshimo say anything to you?~ // IF KnowYoshimoTamoko=1. Or something.
GOTO YOSHIMO
+ + ~Yes, unfortunate.  So don't be stupid and make me kill someone else you care about this time around and you'll be fine.~
GOTO BLUNT
+ + ~Or fortunate, if you look at it the other way.  If she hadn't been killed, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.~ GOTO OTHER
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN YOSHIMO
SAY~ (His gaze sharpens.) How do *you* know her brother's name?~
+ + ~Yoshimo traveled to the Sword Coast to look for his sister.  He came after me, joined me, betrayed me, and, in the end, died by my hand, all to avenge his sister - yet it was you who were responsible for her death.  For both their deaths.~
GOTO DIFFER
+ + ~He sought me out up in Athkatla to avenge his sister.  He is dead now, too, because his sister fell trying to save you from yourself.~
GOTO DIFFER
// More options here. And variable-dependency.
// Winter: And as an option, how about, "Well, I happened to find his journal...not as interesting a read as yours, though" ;) :)  hehehe
// Sovran: LOL
END
// Winter: that's assuming Sarevok knows about Yoshimo, of course.  Are we absolutely SURE that Sarevok would know about Yoshimo? 
// Sovran: Well, nooo. This was pretty much just another alternative take -- at least I have not heard any decisive talk about whether or not Sarevok would know about him. I figured that Tamoko might have mentioned him, if their bond was as strong as is suggested... and then again, she might not have. All it would take to change it would be to replace YOSHIMO with "No, who?", and to give Charname a chance to explain.
// I think the main reason I wrote it this way was that it made the exchange less awkward. :)
// Either way makes sense, so it seems to be up to choice. --> Third opinion, methinks.

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN DIFFER
SAY ~I fail to see your point.  I know that my aspirations have had far-reaching consequences.  It makes little difference.  Such... relations lost their significance to me a long time ago.~
=
~I expected you to realize this.  I expected to remember this.~
+ + ~So, you and your ambitions destroyed someone you cared about, and the obvious strong bond she had with her brother.  Doesn't that make you feel remorse at all?  Don't you regret at least some of your past actions?~
GOTO EXPERT
GOTO EXPERT
+ + ~I'll leave you to ponder on that, then.  Shall we?~ EXIT
// increased likelihood of redemption
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN EXPERT
SAY ~<CHARNAME>, I suggest that you cease talking down to me as if I didn't know that actions have consequences!  Or as if Tamoko didn't know that.  I will not have an adolescent whelp judge me.~ // annoyed+1? Or something.
+ + ~That's not the issue -~
GOTO PRESUME
+ + ~I didn't mean to -~
GOTO PRESUME
+ + ~That's it, you -~
GOTO PRESUME
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN PRESUME
SAY ~(He cuts you off in mid-sentence.) You presume too much.  You presume to know my past, and that you can yank me by some emotional chains - while I have none. This conversation is finished.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN NICE
SAY ~Hmph.  You use that merely as a convenient excuse.  You wouldn't know about second chances.~
IF~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN BLUNT
SAY ~I think you'll find there is no one left that I care about for you, or anyone else, to kill.  But I will remember your words.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN THRONE
SAY ~That makes sense.  I, if anyone, know that the Throne would have settled for nothing less.  My actions ensured that.  So... I sealed her fate.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN OTHER
SAY  ~Probably not.  Although I doubt she would have viewed it that way.~
// COMMENTED OUT:
// =
// ~Then again... she just might have.~
// Too blatant? Redundant? May be simply deleted.
// increased likelihood of redemption, in any case.
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN FALL
SAY ~Yes, you were a sorry fool, weren't you?  You had nothing better to do with your life than go after me, or die trying.  I certainly did not foresee my falling by *your* hand.~
+ + ~Well, I just want to remind you that if you force me, I'll bring about your downfall, again.~
GOTO WARN
+ + ~I guess you didn't.  I hope you're taking notes, this time.  Some lessons are more valuable than others.~ 
GOTO LESSON
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN WARN
SAY ~I am well aware of that, dear <PRO_BROTHERSISTER>.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN LESSON
SAY ~Hmph.  You can judge that for yourself, <CHARNAME>.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN CORNY
SAY ~Do you even realize how pathetic that sounded?  Your words might have more weight if spoken to a congregation huddled together in a collapsing church.  I have no use for your self-deception.~
// decreased likelihood of redemption
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: