Author Topic: Minsc's Biography  (Read 2774 times)

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
Minsc's Biography
« on: November 28, 2004, 08:57:29 PM »
Off topic...

Is there a comprehensive biography of Minsc lying around anywhere, including a detailed analysis of his tribe's (and, presumably, his) beliefs and practices?  Just wondering.
"It makes far better sense to reshape ourselves to fit a finite planet than to attempt to reshape the planet to fit our infinite wants."

"Communism failed as an ascetic morality. Capitalism failed because it destroys morality altogether."
--David Orr

http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC27/Orr.htm

Offline Tinuviel

• Daughter of Twilight
  • Planewalker
  • Sanji no Yousei
Minsc's Biography
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 09:01:26 PM »
Off topic...

Is there a comprehensive biography of Minsc lying around anywhere, including a detailed analysis of his tribe's (and, presumably, his) beliefs and practices?  Just wondering.

This is something that should be in a topic of its own as it has nothing to do with NPC romances.
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -Saint Arnold

Over this odd world, this half the world that's dark now, I have to hunt a thing that lives on tears. -The Silence of the Lambs

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
Re: Minsc's Biography
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 09:43:01 PM »
Rashemi are not tribal nation; Rashemen is a souverein state, lead by the Hathran/Wychlaran (witches) who delegate military authority to fyrras (War leaders) and Huthrong - the Iron Lord - is the leader of the warriors. The authority of these women is absolute, but benevolent, and their efforts seem to play a crucial role in keeping the unruly berserkers of their homeland efficiently united against their traditional enemy, Thay, which has attempted to invade Rashemen countless times. Predictably, the Wychlaran and the Red Wizards hate each other with a passion. Many Witches are sent abroad to study other cultures or keep en eye on important people, always accompanied by a faithful bodyguard. Othlot are highest-ranking Wychlaran; the name simply means "True Ones".

Male wizards are rare in Rashemen, the few who exist are highly regarded, kept hidden and well protected, and devote their time to researching new spells and crafting magical items for the Witches (who in turn are strictly forbidden from making magic items themselves). These men are called Vremyonni, the Old Ones, because their magic prolongs their lifespan.

Young Rashemi are expected to leave their country and roam the world for a while before they are considered adults, this rite of passage is called the "dajemma".  The dominant religion in Rashemen worships Bhalla (Chauntea), the Hidden One (Mystra) and Khelliara (Mielikki), who are collectively known as The Three.
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 09:50:00 PM »
It did have something to do with NPC romances.... at least, it did when I first thought about it.  I was specifically wondering if there was any Rashemi law that dictated anything about Minsc's romance options.  For instance- could Minsc romance Aerie?  Or is a young Rashemi not supposed to romance his/her adopted witch?  Or is Minsc the only Rashemi who adopts witches?
"It makes far better sense to reshape ourselves to fit a finite planet than to attempt to reshape the planet to fit our infinite wants."

"Communism failed as an ascetic morality. Capitalism failed because it destroys morality altogether."
--David Orr

Offline Tinuviel

• Daughter of Twilight
  • Planewalker
  • Sanji no Yousei
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »
It did have something to do with NPC romances....

Then why does your post say off topic?
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -Saint Arnold

Over this odd world, this half the world that's dark now, I have to hunt a thing that lives on tears. -The Silence of the Lambs

Offline nurgles_herald

• Planewalker
  • Valar dohaeris
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 09:56:44 PM »
Because I'm tired and a bit crazy.
--------------------

The knowledge about the Rashemi gives me an idea, but first... Does anyone have a bio for just Minsc?  For instance- does anyone know how Minsc's head injury came about?  Who is he?  Does he have any siblings?  Or is he merely this character who walked in out of nowhere?

--David Orr

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 10:23:32 PM »
Minsc is probably the only Rashemen berserker who would declare Aerie his witch.  Aerie (not being a human from Rashemen) doesn't fit the racial or cultural requirements, though she does fit the alignment requirement, the gender requirement, and (in 3ed) the class requirement (which is more than can be said for Dynaheir).
Beauty standing amidst fiery destruction.

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 07:49:20 AM »

i seem to recall one of the hathran/wychlaran standards (possibly 1e) to be dualled mage/cleric as well.
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline Murdane

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 11:29:47 PM »
I think 3.5 ed Hathran(s?) no longer need to be multi-classed wizard/clerics, which IMO is a good thing (the old rule was silly).

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 05:56:53 AM »
 required definitely bad.
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: