Author Topic: BG1 Installation Problems  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Xadrana

• Planewalker
BG1 Installation Problems
« on: November 19, 2004, 10:02:41 PM »
So yeah.  I finally got a copy of BG1, as I've not played it yet and thought I'd give Tutu a try.  However, it (Baldur's Gate 1, that is) doesn't want to install for me.  I'm running XP with service pack 2, if that matters.  I've tried running the setup file for BG1 in Windows 95 compatibility mode, but still get the same error, which state "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.  The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applicatoins.  Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

Anyone have any brilliant ideas?

Offline DoughyGuy

• Plaid: It's What's For Dinner!
  • Planewalker
  • Rattle-rattle, thunder, clatter, boom-boom-boom!
Re: BG1 Installation Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 10:41:24 PM »
I had a similar problem last night when I was trying to run MSWord 6 on my XP system. I had a friend who explained to me that XP doesn't really have a true DOS mode to speak of, and therefore can't run a lot of programs that rely on DOS-based installation programs (Although why this would affect a Windows-based prog like MSWord, I dunno)

But, if I remember correctly, BG1 has one of those old DOS-style installation programs like the old SSI games like Strahd's Possession and Stone Prophet, so that could be the issue. Then again, I'm only going by what he told me :D

What he suggested to me was to do one of two things. Either create a boot disk with an old version of DOS to boot the computer up with in order to run the installation program (the game itself should work through Windows, just not the installation program). I tried that myself, but I couldn't get it to recognize the CD-ROM and I couldn't find a driver for it on the system to put on the boot disk.

The other, more convoluted suggestion he gave me was to set aside a partition on my HD and install an old version of DOS, or even just an older version of Windows on it to run those kinds of programs.

So, I'm in the same fix you are :) If anyone else here has another, easier suggestion I would be very interested in hearing it as well :) Not just for my MSWord problem.. I have tons of old games that just refuse to work on XP...
"That's right! I'm DoughyGuy! I control the world's supply of dairy products! Steak is my ally! Butter does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror! "

Visit the Land Of The DoughyGuy!

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 11:23:03 PM »
BG1 installed fine on my WinXP, SP2 machine. :(

Although, now that I think about it, I might not have had SP2 installed at the time I installed BG1.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline neriana

• Planewalker
    • Darien NPC for BG2
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 01:30:17 AM »
Which version of BG1 do you have? The Original Saga installed fine on WinXP for me, but I didn't have SP2 at the time either. Actually, I don't think I've played BG1 since installing SP2.

Service Pack 2 causes lots and lots and lots of problems, it seems.
The color of infinity inside an empty glass.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 07:19:24 AM »
I haven't encountered a single issue with SP2 so far. It seems to vary greatly from user to user, for whatever reason. BG1 runs fine.

Offline Xadrana

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 08:06:41 AM »
Dang.  I was hoping someone might have encountered this one before.  I even tried renaming the aforementioned autoexec.nt file and the error still pops up though the file itself is nonexistant.  Wierd.  Ah well.  Thanks anyway. :)

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 10:15:22 AM »
This may help--from the MS Knowledge Base.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Xadrana

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 04:19:27 PM »
Thanks, CamDawg.  That probably would have helped.  I ended up just getting too annoyed with the mess and formatting. It had been a while since I'd done so at any rate.  I'm installing BG1 as I type this with no problems whatsoever.  Tutu, here I come!

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 06:16:39 PM »
Schaweet.
Earn Money Sleeping.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: