Author Topic: Keto V2 Released!  (Read 30314 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Keto V2 Released!
« on: November 17, 2004, 02:48:21 AM »
Version 2 adds some typographical fixes and about 50 new lines of audio, as well as minor improvements to cutscenes.

Keto, one of the chattiest bards in the Realms, is now available at http://www.pocketplane.net/keto !

An ambitious project launched two and a half years ago by Dungeon-Be-Gone creator Victoria Joyner (Blue, the Immortal Bard), Keto brings a little bit of wine, a little bit of mystery, and a lot of storytelling to your Baldur's Gate 2 experience. A young woman out on her own, looking to make a basically honest living as a minstrel, but spending most of her time skirting the front door of every dungeon in Amn. Keto needs a spark to fully develop her potential both as a bard and as an adventurer.

With thousands of lines of dialogue, nearly 100 banters, a unique bard quest and over 400 voiced lines from several performers, Keto represents a breath of fresh air for the expansive Bhaalspawn saga!

Keto may be downloaded from the mirrors listed at Pocket Plane Group, http://www.pocketplane.net/keto . A Keto forum for comments and technical support is available at http://forums.pocketplane.net .

Version 2 includes content for Shadows of Amn. Throne of Bhaal users are supported, but content for the TOB portion of the game will be coming in a future release.

Players do not need to start a new game to enjoy Keto. She can be found in Athkatla's Bridge District at the Five Flagons Inn.

Keto is compatible with virtually all major BG2 add-ons, and contains additional banter content with the Kelsey NPC, also available from Pocket Plane.

On behalf of the Keto team, I hope you find her worth the wait!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 04:49:09 PM by jcompton »
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
  • I still like Neighbours
Re: Keto V1 Released!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 03:05:29 AM »
Hooray!  :) Go team!

Offline Meira

• Planewalker
  • I'm the snow on your lips
    • Amber's Home
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 03:59:59 AM »
Congratulations! ;D I knew you were close when I saw the keto banner 2 placeholder.

Offline Stoplight Red

• Infectious. Literally.
  • Planewalker
  • I swear that there's really only one of me.
    • The Last Stoplight
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 08:51:17 AM »
And to think that I was just a lowly n00b when I started on the voicing...

*sniff* I'm so happy...
<StoplightRed> right, right. but see, most of my friends really aren't bastards.
*** Corvis has joined channel #ppgmod
<jcompton> Right on cue!

Shadyside

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 02:52:06 PM »
This may be a preposterous question to be asking so soon after the release, but us Mac players of BGII (yes, all 4 of us) are sad.  I got so excited about Keto that I didnt realize until after downloading her that she does not have a Mac version.  I am sure all such things will come in due time, but I just wanted to let you all know that there is an anxious fan sitting here with tears in his eyes waiting patiently for my Keto.   :-[ ;)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 03:02:55 PM »
Understood. We need collaboration from a Mac OS X user to do the repackaging, I'll go make a note on the Mac board I know of and see if anybody wants to help out.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Shadyside

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 03:04:53 PM »
I use Mac OSX and I have a friend who has been an OSX user since it came out.  I dont know an awful lot, he knows much more.  Why dont you shoot me an e-mail (storyteller21@hotmail.com).  If you can let us know what to do, we would be more than happy to lend a hand however we can.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 03:20:26 PM »
There are a few people who do it on a fairly regular basis, let's see if they step up first.

Offline Keltosh

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 12:20:04 AM »
Congratulationd. And my most hearfelt thanks :D
*Runs off downloading and installing :D *

Offline nethrin

• Tree-hugger
  • Planewalker
  • A steak! A steak, ere I sleep!
    • Gilalion
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 08:25:12 AM »
I posted something like this at CoM, but it is more appropriate to do it here......

congratulations on her release, and thanks so much for all your hard work and dedication to modding (we all know it can be discouraging/frustrating at times  :) ).   8) 8)
Let the Realms' wizards beware: Kindrek is here!
Ssin'urn, sel'tur, tet ssivah. Il zhah Yasraena.
Doubt that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt Saerileth's love.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 07:24:56 PM »
I heard through the grapevine this had been released, no I've not been online for various reasons. Yay one of the mods I've been waiting for is done!  8)      Now to go download it.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 07:27:12 PM »
Yes. Short of putting out a release on PR Newswire, I did about everything else in my power to get the word out online. :)

insomnia

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 09:38:20 AM »
This may be a preposterous question to be asking so soon after the release, but us Mac players of BGII (yes, all 4 of us) are sad.  I got so excited about Keto that I didnt realize until after downloading her that she does not have a Mac version.  I am sure all such things will come in due time, but I just wanted to let you all know that there is an anxious fan sitting here with tears in his eyes waiting patiently for my Keto.   :-[ ;)

Hahaha! That's what vpc is for!
There's a Mac-weidu at ire.mainecoon.net, can't you just substitute&rename that for the setup-keto.exe?
I still use 9.2, so I'm not too sure if that would work, but makes sense to me.

Offline Shadyside

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 09:52:32 AM »
I've downloaded and attempted to use the stuff at the Spa and Grill, but I'm just not computer-literate enough for that.  ::)  I cant figure it out.  They have directions, but I get confused easily.   :-\ 

Question:  I have the Mac version of Baldurs Gate.  Can I use VPC to install the PC version of the mod to work with my Mac version of the game?  If so, that might be aneasy fix; I planned on getting VPC anyway. 

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2004, 10:24:42 AM »
Yes, that will work, you just have to be sure that you have the Mac files shared with the virtual Windows machine, and then properly provide the path to the Mac install of the game when the installer asks you to tell it where BG2 is installed. Normally it autodetects but that won't work for this particular instance (installing on a Mac version with VPC.)

Offline Shadyside

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2004, 10:50:53 AM »
Yay, I'm happy now.  At least, until I get my virtual pc and mess things up  8)  I shall keep you informed of how it works out and I will be posting a review as soon as I get the chance

PS.  I had heard that there are sometimesfiles (specifically sound files) hat dont transate well from pc to mac and back.  (I think it was ogg-something and wav.  Any thing like that to worry about here?

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 11:09:03 AM »
Yay, I'm happy now.  At least, until I get my virtual pc and mess things up  8)  I shall keep you informed of how it works out and I will be posting a review as soon as I get the chance

PS.  I had heard that there are sometimesfiles (specifically sound files) hat dont transate well from pc to mac and back.  (I think it was ogg-something and wav.  Any thing like that to worry about here?

By using VPC you'll sidestep that issue. The problem is that we need a platform-specific binary to decode the audio files. Programs to do what we need exist on the Mac, it's just not the SAME program, and I like to rely on the help of a Mac developer to ensure that the builds work correctly.

Offline Shadyside

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2004, 11:15:25 AM »
I totally understand.  I would like to have it the right way myself.  I've been keeping my eye on the spa and grill forums, but I have to say, they are real dead.  Its sad, really.  Maybe a couple decent people stop by every now and then, but it just seems...dead to me.

insomnia

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2004, 10:09:42 PM »

I get occasional problems, usually involving .bat files. Like with Keto, after the weidu install finishes it's supposed to automatically decode the .ogg files to .wavs, but I got "Batch file missing" appearing over and over. So, to decode em I typed "oggdec override/*.ogg" from the dos prompt. Happened with a couple of other mods that decoded audio the same.
There were also one or two which decoded audio this way and didn't give me any trouble.

Good luck, so far Keto has been great.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: Keto V2 Released!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 04:49:24 PM »
Version 2 is out now.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004, 04:53:45 PM »
Excellent, thank you Mr Compton :).
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Keltosh

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2004, 06:19:16 PM »
You're working fast :D
*cheers for Keto*
I find it a  REALLY interesting mod :D

Offline n8h@wk

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 08:09:09 PM »

I'm a mac user too. And all mods are Mac compatable. If it's because the audio doesn't work that's because there is some work on your end to make it work. :) Here is what I do and it does work.
1. Install the mod
2. Convert all the .ogg files from the mod to .wav

That's it. Other than that all mods work perfectly. I think the problem with mod audio is that there is something in the installer that automatically converts ogg to wav for windows users. But I've noticed even on OSX "compliant" mods that this isn't accomplished at all and I still have to convert myself. I use Adedeus II for sound conversion as I don't know of anything free out there that supports ogg or converting it to another format.

Offline n8h@wk

• Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 08:14:09 PM »
I've downloaded and attempted to use the stuff at the Spa and Grill, but I'm just not computer-literate enough for that.  ::)  I cant figure it out.  They have directions, but I get confused easily.   :-\ 

Question:  I have the Mac version of Baldurs Gate.  Can I use VPC to install the PC version of the mod to work with my Mac version of the game?  If so, that might be aneasy fix; I planned on getting VPC anyway. 

If you want to give me an email at macnation at softhome dot net I can give you some help here. I don't think you can install the mod from VPC. Reason being is that the Mac version of BGII isn't recognized by Windows. But there was a great utility that used to be packaged with Mac-Weidu that installs things for you. I still use it. Like I said, give me a holler and I'll try my best to walk you through.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2004, 08:33:28 PM »
Let's wait until I have V3 ready, since V2 won't work without TOB and I'm made to understand that relatively fewer Mac players have TOB since it came out so late and costs so much.