Author Topic: Problems with Tutu modding: creation of creatures  (Read 2938 times)

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Problems with Tutu modding: creation of creatures
« on: October 22, 2004, 06:21:23 AM »
Hallo everyone,
I have a problem with the Tutu compatibility of one of my mods. Inside houses, my creatures aren't created.
Installation is OK, area scripts are EXTEND_TOPed (checked with NI), there are no triggers in action...

In the outdoor area, the creature is created and script and dialogues work fine.
Area script for the outdoor creature (which is created, EXTEND_TOP to _AR3300.bcs):
Code: [Select]
IF
     Global("C#AlannaCreation","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
           SetGlobal("C#AlannaCreation","GLOBAL",1)
    CreateCreature("C#Alanna",[1285.1550],0) //Alanna
END

Here's one of the area scripts that don't work (creature is not created, inside a tavern, EXTEND_TOP to _AR3357.bcs):
Code: [Select]
IF
     Global("C#TulbsCreation","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
           SetGlobal("C#TulbsCreation","GLOBAL",1)
    CreateCreature("C#Tulbor",[401.132],0)
END

For BG1, everything works fine.
I have absolutely no clue what could be the problem. Ideas anyone?
Thanks!

PS: To prevend questions: I don't think it's a problem of the "C#Tulbor.CRE" file, because the creature that is created outside should be (under some conditions) created inside a house as well, which didn't work (for set triggers).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 06:24:19 AM by jastey »

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Problems with Tutu modding: creation of creatures
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 08:18:48 AM »
Hi,
I tried out the other creatures: If I let them be created in the outdoor area, everything works fine.
Could the error be at the area script names, do I have to consider anything special there? Are the "_ARXXXX.BCS" not the executed area scripts for indoor areas?
 ???

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 09:22:44 AM »
I've encountered this before.  Check the file FW3357.are and see if it has a script assigned to it.  If not, you'll need this code in your .tp2 to assign it one:

COPY_EXISTING ~FW3357.are~ ~override/FW3357.are~
  WRITE_ASCII 0x94 ~_AR3357~

EXTEND_TOP ~_AR3357.bcs~ ~Beregost/Scripts/_AR3357.baf~

Compatibility note to all modders: Yes, there really is no good way to detect if an unassigned area script has already been assigned to an area, and be able to extend to that script instead.  So, the solution should be sticking with Tutu's pre-existing code, as shown above.  EXTEND_TOP will still allow for a dynamic install order (i.e. any mod can go before or after any other mod), and nothing should be overwritten unless someone uses an eternally true trigger (never a good practice, and something that could happen in BG1 or 2 normally).

The same should apply to all logical file-name sequences, like--ahem!--banter files.  This means you, Andrini. ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 09:25:25 AM by Ghreyfain »
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 01:26:22 PM »
Thank you so much!! I realized the missing area script is the problem myself in the meantime, so my next question would have been how to assign an area script to an existing area.
Thanks!  :)

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 07:55:16 PM »
Now that I'm back from work, I should make the post about helpful tutu-modding hints that I was going to make earlier this morning.
Earn Money Sleeping.

-jastey-

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 03:40:21 AM »
Now that I'm back from work, I should make the post about helpful tutu-modding hints that I was going to make earlier this morning.
Sounds like a very good idea! I didn't find such a post up to now: Is it already up and where?  :)

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 11:17:38 AM »
Heh, I think this was one of those instances where I had a nap and forgot entirely about what I was doing beforehand.  Further up in this thread is about all the specifically relevant things you'll find.  At least, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Earn Money Sleeping.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: