Author Topic: Bodhi causing a deadly crash in chapter 3. Help?  (Read 7434 times)

Offline clocknova

• Planewalker
Bodhi causing a deadly crash in chapter 3. Help?
« on: October 08, 2004, 10:11:23 AM »
I've just run into a crash-bug that I cannot get around.  The problem occurs as soon as I stake the third vampire in the guild (chapter 3).  Bohdi, of course, starts to materialize, but then the game crashes with this error message:
An assertion failed in CGameEffect.cpp at line number 1536.
And, since I must talk with Bodhi to advance the game, I'm stuck there in chapter 3.

I don't know for certain which mod did the deed, but the only one I can think of that might affect Bodhi is the "improved Bodhi" component of Tactics, which I installed before I started my game.  Here is a complete list of the mods I have installed (and the order I installed them in,) and I can post the contents of my WeiDU log if it would be useful to anyone.

-Official ToB patch
-Baldurdash ToB fixpack

01. Weimer-Ease of Use v28
02. Weimer-Item Upgrade v32
03. Weimer-Spell 50 v6
04. Weimer-Tactics Mod v21
05. Weimer-Underrepresented Items v2
06. Ashes of Embers v19
07. OSX-G3Tweaks v6
08. OSX-NPCKit v0.72
09. Desecration of Souls v2.01
10. Unfinished Business v12
11. Victor's BG2 Improvements v1.2
12. TurnipGolem v1
13. OSX-G3Anniversary v1
14. Quest Pack v1
15. Ascension v1.4.17
16. Redemption-v1.2
17. The Black Rose Part One v1
18. BagBonus v1.0
19. Herbs & Potions
20. NPC Flirt Pack v1.01

Can anyone help me to get around this?  Is there something I can do with the console that might help?  I am absolutely NOT starting over again.

Thanks.

Offline JW

• Planewalker
Re: Bodhi causing a deadly crash in chapter 3. Help?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 10:57:54 AM »
For the looks of it you might have found a corrupted file, probably a BAM but I'm no expert sorry.
You might find this interesting, take a look: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=15453.0

Perhaps you can contact seanas, or someone else who knows how to isolate the problem, and learn from him the way to locate and eliminate if it's possible the bug.

Sorry to not be able to help more, I ought to learn about these problems myself, just incase...

Offline clocknova

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 08:47:53 PM »
So, can anyone tell me how to fix this, or am I going to have to trash this game?  Is there some way I can just force the quest to complete so Linvail will send me to Spellhold?  There must be something.

Offline clocknova

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 12:58:43 AM »
I have an idea, but I don't know what problems with my savegame this might cause.

I'm using the Mac version, so the 'uninstall components' of WeiDU does not work.  However, I could do a complete reinstall of all the WeiDU mods I'm using in this game (starting from a 'vanilla' install of ToB), being careful to install them in the same order, and then just skip the 'Improved Bohdi' component of Tactics.  This should clear up my problem, but will it cause any other problems?  It has been my experience that reinstalling mods during a game can cause all sorts of problems with the dialog.tlk file if everything is not reinstalled in precisely the same order as before.  Will omitting the Bodhi component of Tactics cause any such problems with my current game?

Offline clocknova

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 01:17:55 AM »
Well, I did a little experimentation by removing, one at a time, the Bohdi-related files that Tactics placed in my override folder.  It turns out that the problem is being caused by the file called 'bodhi2.cre.'  I have no idea what this file is or what it does, or if removing it will have any negative repercussions later on.  Can anyone help me out, here?  Can I safely remove it?  Should I remove it, then put it back?  Cad I do without it altogether?

I've also noticed that, with the file in place, the game crashes just before the beginning of the 'dimension door' animation that Bohdi uses when she appears, so there seems to be a problem with that specific effect.  Don't know if this helps, though.

Offline seanas

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 04:53:04 AM »
nice find there, clocknova.

yes, you can remove the bodhi2.cre from yr override folder without any repercussions. files are placed in yr override folder by mods to, err, override files of the same name that are stored in a BIF somewhere in yr 'data' folder. so if you remove the file from the override, the game will just use the one it has stored in the data folder and everything will continue along normally. and don't bother putting it back: replacing it is just going to make it crash again.

removing the file from the override *may* mean that the mod that placed it there might not function as intended, although as it is a .cre file, in this instance, that's corrupted somehow, you should be fine. i've not installed improved bodhi, but i'm guessing she has new (and undroppable) items on her to make that fight harder - so you'll probably be fighting an easier bodhi than you would under tactics. but hey - *at least you'll actually be fighting her* - and the improved scripts she uses to fight you will still be in place.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 07:18:16 PM by seanas »
"those who like TDD are already busy giving install advice to newbies" - the bigg

Offline JW

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 06:47:55 AM »
Well, perhaps it is related to Bodhi2.cre in some way, but for the looks of the error (to me) seems that the actual problem could be a certain "effect" in one of those items/abilities, somehow corrupted. If that is the case, should not the game crash again and come with the same assertion error if the effect is used by another creature/item?

I do have Improved Bodhi installed and working, and in my Bodhi2.cre file the only effect-related code is in her stats (proficiencies, inmunity to spell levels, movementrate bonus, etc...) and items (inmunity to +2 weapons and lower, stun, hold, chaos, imprisonment, etc...), that mimic some of her inmunities and perks as a powerful vampire.

I can send you my Bodhi2.cre if that helps to avoid the crash, but I would not place my bets on it.   

Offline clocknova

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 12:44:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  What happened was that the Bohdi I fought had all the new dialogue (she said she was a badass who had mastery over air and cold and blah blah blah) but when it came down to it, she died in 10 seconds.  *sigh*  And I was looking forward to a good fight.

Can someone tell me just exactly what a .cre file is?

And, unless it comes in to play later in the game, and I think it does, I don't need a new one.  But I wouldn't mind having you send me yours so i can go back to my archived save and see if it works.  If not, then I know the problem lies elsewhere.  Obviously, I sincerely hope the problem is in the .cre file.  Otherwise, I have no idea where to look.

Offline JW

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 05:04:56 AM »
As far as I know a .cre file contains the 'creature' information, such as name, gender, memorized spells, location, innates, stats, alignment, etc.. The CRE file also contains the information that tells the game what BCS (script) and the .TLK (dialogue) files assigned to that creature. The same NPC can have various CRE files for different situations, aswell as different BCS and DLG files. For example, you will face a new Bodhi in chapter 6 (C6Bodhi.cre) with again improved powers.

I can send you my Bodhi2.cre, no problem. Just tell me where.

Offline clocknova

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 08:53:44 AM »
Thanks.  Just email it to rdporcher@earthlink.net.  I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.

Offline DurakDimholt

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 05:55:28 PM »
Hi, I'm just now having exactly the same problem. I'll try removing the .cre file too I guess, but I'll miss that whoop-ass Bodhi, having tried her before (on pc). Did you get a new file and was it possible to put it back into the game?

Cirdan

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 11:41:20 PM »
An assertion failed in CGameEffect.cpp at line number 1536.

This error occurs when I attempt to equip an item I made with DLTCEP. the item is a quarterstaff with various "equipped effects". i checked all the effect parameters and they are all in line with the constraints as far as i can tell. I had a similar problem with another piece of equipment i made, a cloak. I discovered an invalid color selecion in the character color palette effect. However, the line at which the error occured in the .cpp file was different. Any heavy modders know the file that this crash code is referencing and what it deals with?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: