Author Topic: Tutu +BG triogy  (Read 2935 times)

oarsome

Tutu +BG triogy
« on: October 05, 2004, 01:52:41 PM »
do these 2 mods work together? or are they redundant...I can't find any info on trilogy
cheers,

a.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: Tutu +BG triogy
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 04:25:44 PM »
They do the same thing so they cannot really work together. They do the same thing in two different ways.

-Echon

Offline Drugar

• Dwarven Battlerager
  • Planewalker
  • Ah feckin' 'ate gobleens!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 03:34:40 AM »
BG Trilogy:
You download BG1 and integrate it in BG2 so you can play BG1 with BG2 stuff.

BGtutu:
Small program that switches some files from your BG1 and BG2 folder so you can play BG1 with BG2 stuff.

So, want to download a gigabyte or a magebyte, that's really the question.
Ach, tis a sad day when someone in the group dies. We'll mourn his death forever. Quick, gettis stuff!

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 12:42:15 PM »

but does bg1 still >look< (skins, character sheets et al.) like bg1 with tutu?  as opposed to, presumably, looking like bg2 with trilogy?  obviously they are the same in *principle*...
 and personally i'd always rather download a gig.  8)

also (so i'm lazy):  do you have to install bg1 first?  or, perhaps more relevantly, HELP!?  i tried to clean bg1 off this xp monster, and i must have missed something, because now the bg1 install won't follow through, and the only ~possible~ references i can find in the registry are too oblique to be certain...  are there tips somewhere, as provided on bioware's page for bg2, on which keys to junk?
 and this is the 'classic' [antique doorstop] 5(+1)CD release, if that matters...
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline seanas

• Planewalker
Re: Tutu + BG Trilogy
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 02:52:11 PM »
re: installing BGI. try running E:\Setup.exe (or whatever letter yr CD drive is) with the first of the BGI cds in the cd-drive.

re: Tutu and Trilogy (aka BGT). Tutu, like BGT, allows you to play BGI using the BGII engine - so interface, kits, dual-wielding, the whole shebang. BGT allows you to play from Candlekeep to Melissan in one game. the practical benefit of this, apart from a certain completism, is that yr PC retains whatever XP s/he finished the BGI part with, rather than going back to 125K XP (or whatever it is) when you import a saved BGI (vanilla *or* Tutu) game, and yr NPCs retain their XP and whatever attribute-buffing you gave them.

on the other hand, Tutu is actively supported on two different forums, is actively bug-patched, and has mods made and being made for it. BGT has no forums (a big problem, given that neither Tutu nor BGT are bug-free, and BGT in particular can be a real hassle to install) and is bug-fixed only sporadically - by way of example, the most recent BGT patch (114) was released in may/june this year, and all it did was port over fixes that Horred had made for BP-BGT the previous september... compare that with the frequency with which Tutu fixes come out. BP-BGT (ie Big Picture - BGT) and the related BP-BGT-NEJ (ie, adding vlad's neverending journey over the top) are essentially a third BGI conversion, in as much as there *is* support for BP-BGT (although not as much as Tutu) and there *are* mods being made for the BGT part of BP-BGT (again, not as many as for Tutu - and BP-BGT mods won't run, AFAIK, on a straight BGT install). however, BP-BGT requires an *additional* Gb of downloads to run (and about 10Gb space to install) and is a true voodoo install...

i wouldn't recommend *anyone* install BGT (or at least, not until Bardez, its principal creator, comes out of retirement); as for Tutu v. BP-BGT, it's personal preference; although Tutu is about half the size fully installed, 1/200th (approx) of the download size and has  greater support. on the other hand, you can't play BoneHill on Tutu yet... ;)
"those who like TDD are already busy giving install advice to newbies" - the bigg

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
Re: Tutu + BG Trilogy
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 05:18:46 PM »
re: installing BGI. try running E:\Setup.exe (or whatever letter yr CD drive is) with the first of the BGI cds in the cd-drive.

i'm not THAT lazy. :P

no, there's no reaction from [cdrom]setup.exe, no new programs or processes are detected by task manager (or they come and go too quickly).  the most reaction i get is hitting autorun's install button, and that just gets rid of the autorun window.  then nada.
  with my fairly limited powers of deduction, i'm [neuroneuroneuroneuroneuro]fairly sure it's an issue with an installshield key or keys in the registry.  but i really wouldn't know where to begin tracking those down, and i already axed/reset all blatant references to baldur (that didn't have a 2 afterwards)...
  *plaintive* someone, please tell me it's not hopeless.  i miss The Beginning. (and i >definitely< want to be able to start out with a kit.)

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 05:45:50 PM »
Try burning the CD and running the setup program from your copy.  My originals have a hard time being read by my CD drive, but the burned ones work fine.
Earn Money Sleeping.

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 06:30:30 PM »
 mmmmmkay... this original did fine since the last major update of xp, but just to be thorough...

*putters*

nope!  thanks for the thought!

i'm assuming by all these *ahem* stalling tactics that nobody ever went to the trouble with bg1 that they went to with bg2?  because bioware clearly isn't coddling anybody stuck in 1998, and i've never seen lists of specific keys anywhere else.  is there a suitable tech board into which i can stick my nose briefly without getting utterly ignored?
  because i'm good with directions, and stuff...

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 06:38:07 PM »
To be honest, I'm not really sure what the problem is any more.  Or what it was in the first place, for that matter.
Earn Money Sleeping.

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 07:15:32 PM »

the problems lie with a) me and b) my computer in its current state.

my problem is that i'm interested in tutu, and therefore presume i need to install bg1 again.  i uninstalled it about two months ago, and fear i may have been either overzealous or not-zealous-enough in scouring the registry, because:
  my computer's problem is that, while i can call up the autorun window and select 'install', and/or explore the volume and double-click on 'setup.exe', neither of these actions results in anything noticeable.  barely a flicker of the hourglass in the second instance.  even after hours of waiting.  or half an hour of waiting and then ejecting and re-inserting the cd, or any other homecure.

i suspect the registry is the target.
  is there a better candidate?
  because having to houseclean this entire machine would suck.  most of the software is in kybong QLD.  not seattle.

Offline Caswallon

• Telvanni Archmagister
  • Planewalker
    • BG Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 08:16:17 PM »
For BG2, there is a list of registry keys on the Bioware support sites, but unfortunately not for BG1.

For digging around in the registry, you could try RegCleaner... hope that helps.
Man's Mystery
Man is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss.
This lies beyond our comprehension - why do you not despair?
--Spirit of the Daedra--

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: