Author Topic: [IDEA] Tactics - Ust Natha  (Read 1611 times)

Offline JW

• Planewalker
[IDEA] Tactics - Ust Natha
« on: October 03, 2004, 09:00:13 AM »
I have installed two mods that modify the difficulty level of the Underdark and Ust Natha, Improved Battles -House Jae'llat- and Tactics -Improved Mind Flayers, Smarter Beholders, Smarter mages and liches, Improved Demon Knights-. Aside this, the city of Ust Natha itself remains as a weak spot in my opinion.

Probably this is a controversial subject, since the city military forces are suppossed to be fighting, or ready to fight, with the surface elves. Yet if you think on it carefully, the first step of any goverment in state of war is to reinforce the city defenses and declare the alert for every citizen. This is hardly reflected in Ust Natha however. In a burst of rage, my main character, alone, hardcore rules, with the experience of a six-party group, raided Ust Natha and his denizens without considerable opposition from the city guards and handmaidens.

I find unbelievable that a city, which accordingly to his history, whose walls resisted the push of Eye Tirants and Mind Flayers and survived unharmed in the Underdark since the scattering, falls 'so easily' against a solo kensai that raids its streets. Athkatla has somehow a city guard and some encounters that assault you depending on your behaviour and reputation (not that it stops you, but at least it's harder), and a paramilitary group called "cowled wizards" who monitor the magic irregularities. The Drow are a race born to war, they have spent most of their recent history warring against multiple enemies and make their home in the Underdark (correct me if I am wrong tho, I am no sage of Faerun). In my opinion Ust Natha should at least be policed to prevent situations like the one created by my main character.

I think this might be in the line of Tactics mod (sorry Wes, I just love Tactics), and I wonder what would you guys think about the possibility to add Elite Fighters, Mages and Priests to the city defences, or some other security forces, making it much harder to raid and at the same time worthwhile for an experienced party. So far Tactics mod has successfully improved most other encounters in the Underdark, and I personally would love to see this as an optional component at least.

I'm unsure where I should post this thread, but as I somewhat relate it to a possible new addition to tactics, I do it here. Feel free to move this around if there is a better place.     
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 09:02:04 AM by JW »

Offline Xander77

• Planewalker
Re: [IDEA] Tactics - Ust Natha
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 05:45:43 AM »
I brought up the same idea in other places...

Really, the "everyone are fighting on the surface" idea really makes sense - after surviving for centuries in the underdark, the drow are just going to leave the city wide open for any enemy to take, because that's how poor their tactics are...

You need at least as many fighters/clerics/wizards as Quil and house Jellat combined to over-run the surfacers... start out at the top end of the city, ande advancing downwards...

Offline colbruce

• Planewalker
  • You have to go IN to go OUT.
    • Blue Button
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 09:10:09 PM »
JW, great idea!  Well said.  I hope Weimer, or another modder, takes up this task to Improve Ust Natha.

Offline neriana

• Planewalker
    • Darien NPC for BG2
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 12:36:29 AM »
If you really want a certain mod done, the best thing is to learn how and do it yourself.  :)
The color of infinity inside an empty glass.

Offline JW

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 05:08:35 AM »
If you really want a certain mod done, the best thing is to learn how and do it yourself.  :)

Good advice. Although I'm still too newb using editors for other than fixing minor bugs.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: