Author Topic: Archived Posts - Ranger Kits  (Read 45867 times)

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
Re: Justifier Kit
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2004, 12:20:31 PM »
*kicks self*

OK, forget I ever said that  :-[

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Feralan
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2004, 12:24:41 PM »
From the Complete Ranger's Handbook:

Call of the Wild[/b]:
When in his primary terrain, the Feralan may attempt to summon familial species animals by howling at the top of his lungs for 1-6 round.  The DM then secretly rolls percentile dice.  If the result is less than or equal to the Feralan's Wisdom score plus his level (a 5th level Feralan with Wisdom 15 has a base chance of 20%), 1-4 familial animals show up within the next hour.  Once they arrive, these animals act as followers for the next 1-4 hours.   During this time, the Feralan may command them with his speak with animals ability.  At the end of the 1-4 hour period, the summoned animals disappear into the wilderness.  A Feralan can attempt call of the wild once per day.

Is this the one you're referring to, rreinier?
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2004, 12:25:54 PM »
No problem, but I'd avoid the Kit Creation Guide v2.5.  It won't help you WeiDU-up a kit.  :(

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2004, 12:28:34 PM »
Will do. Thanks!  :)

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2004, 12:31:53 PM »
Something like that. I read the 3e version, which also added the Charisma modifier to the percentile chance of a succesful summons.

Would this be codable, though?

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2004, 12:34:13 PM »
It should be.  It's be similar to a Summon Animal spell, but perhaps have it only summon dogs or wolves.  It could be called "Call of the Wild" and given as an innate.

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2004, 12:43:58 PM »
Would it be possible to add the "summons native creatures" component? In other words: could we make the spell check which area it's being cast in, and change it's summons accordingly?

Also, I'm thinking that the 1% per level and 1% per wisdom point might be a little low for a once/day ability, since it'd harldy ever exceed 50%. How about 20% + 1% per level + 2% per wisdom point? That would lead to a maximum of around 80%.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2004, 11:19:46 AM »
Yeah, there's a pretty good example in the WeiDU bundle. Looking at the billions of .2DAs involved also makes stuff make more sense. :)

I'll whack up the Stealth bonus by another 5%, and remove spellcasting and Charm Animal.

How about those spells (and Cure Light Wounds) as innates, once per day, gained in stages from around Level 8 or so?

If that's cool, and I don't attempt Iron Modder, I will try and finish this this evening. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2004, 11:20:33 AM »
Sounds good.  :)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2004, 11:26:19 AM »
We could pinch the Totemic Druid's Summon Totem Animal and essentially just rename it for Call of the Wild?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2004, 11:28:53 AM »
That'll work, though I don't think snakes would respond to a Feralan's call.  :)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2004, 11:29:10 AM »
kk

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2004, 11:35:51 AM »
Could make a more 3E - esque summoning spell.

Summons a creature for 3 rounds + 1/level, with thac0, damage and hit points increasing with level, usable once per day?

Thing is though, I think we'd have to decide what the player's familiar animal species is for them, not sure how we can let them do it or if it's worth it to try. :) Wolves are probably a pretty safe bet.

Maybe then summoning a dog at lower levels, then a wolf, a winter wolf then a dire wolf? At high levels we could make a tougher critter called a Pack Leader or something.

Faster movement speed would be fine too.

The 3E writeup suggested limited spells, shall we scrap that idea? :)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2004, 11:50:29 AM »
I like the canine progression table you're proposing. 

As for the limiting spells--I think it'd be more logical that the Feralan perhaps isn't disciplined enough to cast many spells, so, if it's not too difficult to code, I'd say go for it.

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2004, 11:51:04 AM »
Since the ability is not exactly uber-powerful in BGII, I'd say something like once per day per five levels, starting at level one with one use, or something like that.

BTW: A problem that, I think, has come up earlier in discussing the Feralan: The PC was raised in Candlekeep, by Gorion. Doesn't that create inconsistancies with the Feralan kit, which was raised in the wild by animals?

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2004, 11:56:10 AM »
Yeah, that is the problem, but the flipside of the argument was always that Gorion couldn't have raised a Barbarian, either.  :(

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2004, 11:59:34 AM »
Fair enough.  :)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2004, 12:03:18 PM »
I could limit the spheres he has access to to Healing, Animal, Combat?

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2004, 12:09:11 PM »
Those sound fine, though I wonder if "sun" wouldn't also be appropriate. Not sure though.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2004, 12:20:17 PM »
Not sure which spells are in Sun that are level 1 - 3.

I could just remove access to the Plant sphere? That gets rid of Entangle, Barkskin, not sure what else.

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2004, 12:23:12 PM »
Thinking about it further, I think that Healing, Animal and Combat would be fine. Either that, or replace Combat with Plant. Or remove both...

Why did you want to remove plant, BTW? It seems appropriate for one who was raised in the wild.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2004, 12:33:23 PM »
I think the original write - up indicated or implied they only have the animal affinity part of general Ranger Nature stuff, was why.

I'll have a peak at Ranger spells later, see what to keep/lose.

Offline neriana

• Planewalker
    • Darien NPC for BG2
Re: Kits that never made it...
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2004, 05:56:56 PM »
I thought the reason Minsc was Minsc was that he was hit on the head twice. Of course, that doesn't mean he couldn't be a Feralan. Also, he says "full plate and packing steel". Would this work with limited armor and weapons?
The color of infinity inside an empty glass.

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2004, 06:06:42 PM »
Minsc can Berserk because he's from Rashemen and Rashemen warriors can.  The ways in which Minsc differs from a standard ranger are because of a blow to the head and his nationality.  The PC can't come from Rashemen, and while the PC could certainly have a blow to the head, it doesn't seem like a good basis for a kit.  Let me see...

ADVANTAGES: Has access to dialogue options normally only available to characters with 18 Intelligence and Wisdom, these options being suggested by the character's Miniature Giant Space Hamster.  The character can also function as a ranger despite not qualifying for the normal ranger stat requirements.

DISADVANTAGES:-7 to Wisdom, -4 to Intelligence, and -2 to Charisma.

So, yeah.  I don't think Minsc needs a kit or that the Feralan sounds like him.  He wasn't raised by hamsters.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 06:10:39 PM by Kish »
Beauty standing amidst fiery destruction.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2004, 06:12:28 PM »
Minsc won't be receiving the Feralan kit via UB, that's for certain.  Idobek's NPC Kit mod takes care of that by changing his kit name to Rashemaar Ranger (and with no other changes).  Actually, were it not for the tactician requirement, the Justifier is more appropriate for Minsc than the Feralan.  He won't be getting the Justifier kit either, though.  :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: