Author Topic: someone please help me get rid of this thing  (Read 1708 times)

kakofiend

someone please help me get rid of this thing
« on: September 27, 2004, 09:11:03 PM »
hey i'm sure bgtutu is great and all, but i guess i'll never get the chance to see for myself.  i've already had to uninstall and reinstall baldur's gate, shadows of amn and throne of bhaal three times trying to get it to work, but no avail; it always crashes on the loading screen after character creation (yes, i ran BGmain.exe in the BG2 folder).

so now i just want to get rid of it.  i uninstalled ToB, SoA and BG1.  i want to play BG1 again, so i installed it again with no intention of trying to hook up tutu.  so what i've got right now is a plain vanilla installation of BG1.

when i try to start a new game, the game crashes and says "an assertion failed in D:\Dev\baldur\cgameeffect.cpp at line number 808," which is the same problem i had when i tried to run BGmain from the BG1 folder while tutu was still installed.  so it looks like tutu is still plaguing my system.

i really, really don't want to have to uninstall and run a registry cleaner because reinstalling takes me two hours (my comp sucks).  is there any other way i can clean up the last traces of tutu, or do something else to get BG1 working again?

thanks

kakofiend

Re: someone please help me get rid of this thing
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 09:14:37 PM »
oh, i forgot to mention-

before uninstalling ANYTHING the first time, the first thing i uninstalled was tutu, through the tutu restore program.  it never completed uninstalling because i did not have a final save; hell, i couldn't even START the game, so there was no way i would have a final save.  but looking at the log, it gave me all sorts of crap about not having a final save in the bg1tutu directory.  so i uninstalled everything else and deleted my black isle directory.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 09:20:56 PM »
If you're running the bgmain.exe file from your BG1 directly, Tutu is not involved whatsoever.  It's likely your BG1 installs are corrupt.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Caswallon

• Telvanni Archmagister
  • Planewalker
    • BG Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 06:40:30 PM »
Your last sentence sounds as if you did it right, but just to be sure:
After uninstalling the game, backup your saves and custom files (portraits, etc.) and *delete* the remaining folders, esp. the override folder.
Man's Mystery
Man is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss.
This lies beyond our comprehension - why do you not despair?
--Spirit of the Daedra--

kakofiend

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 02:10:22 PM »
eh; once again i blew away everything, poked around in my registry, and ran the gauntlet of installation...works fine now.  thanks anyway

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: