Author Topic: Solaufein as Mary Sue  (Read 8831 times)

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Solaufein as Mary Sue
« on: September 24, 2004, 06:33:18 PM »
Since I have a few spare minutes before my research group meeting, I figured I would address a comment sent to me about the Sola mod. Since the comments were originally sent by email, I'll leave the sender anonymous.  I'm replying to the comments publicly both because this is an issue on which I and a non-trivial fraction of mod users disagree (and thus it might be informative or at least diverting to a general audience to see what I was thinking), and also because someone once mentioned that I only seem to put up positive comments. In truth, it would seem that (most?) people who don't like the mod don't bother to tell me about it. That's quite fair -- I don't email a manifesto of flaws to the author of every shareware game I reject. At any rate, the class of complaint shown below (which ranks an easy second after "Sola is gay" on the frequency chart) has come up only about five times directly.

I'd like to start by thanking our anonymous reviewer for taking the time to share some thoughts. I will go on to address most of the points in some detail, with an eye toward explaining my thoughts at the time of Sola's creation. This may end up sounding like an excuse or an apology; that is not my goal.

When I saw that you had a Solaufein Mod, my expectations were really high, but when I got him into my party, I was... well...  disappointed.

It's not that he's a bad character.  On the contrary, he's exceedingly powerful,

Actually, I don't consider "powerful" to be the opposite of "a bad character". I might say that "having a powerful personality" is a good way to avoid not being "a bad character", but that's not what you're talking about.

I'll admit that Sola is quite powerful -- if you know what you're doing.  If you understand the BG2 combat and spell rules and you can use Sola's spells to compensate and augment his fighter side, he's probably more powerful than anyone save a full-grown Valen or Kelsey.

When Sola first came out I got quite a bit of mail claiming that he was, in fact, too weak. Admittedly, when Sola first came out the Revenge Spiders were considered impossibly dastardly opponents that required serious cunning to defeat. Still, while the common grasp of BG2 tactics has improved dramatically since then, I still get complaints that Sola is difficult to keep alive (Hi, Gwen!) or that he flounders in certain parts of the game. As a concrete example, when ToB first came out there was a hue and cry about the weakness of Tsuki no Ken in that high-level setting, followed by requests that I have it grow over time. Thus the Tsuki "upgrade".

On a personal opinion note, when Sola came out there weren't any NPC fighter-mages available. That's one of the reasons that I decided to interpret his feats of magic in vanilla BG2 (dimension dooring, calling the illithid out of the astral plane, duplicating the eggs) as well as his stated backstory (the fighter's guild) as making him a fighter-mage.  However, at the experience levels found in BG2 that class ends up being one of the most powerful ... because of the way the game rules work and because of the emphasis on tactical combat.

* Anyway, the take-home message from this point is that I agree that Sola is powerful if you know what you are doing, but that there was initially a large segment of the target audience that found him too weak and thus not worth the effort. We'll return to that theme later.

As an aside, the "legacy" or "evolution" aspect of the Sola mod should not be overlooked. As you might imagine for something with around one hundred releases, things change over time and you often get "stuck" with certain decisions.

his banter is interesting and well written (I especially love the dialogue he has with Imoen),

That particular part of Sola was written by Jason Compton. I highly recommend that you check out his Kelsey mod -- I think you'll enjoy it, for all of the reasons that you cite here.

and making him a poetry lover was inspired, because dark poetry does seem like something Solaufein would enjoy.  However, his power is a large part of the problem.

Frankly, he's TOO powerful, and people are too interested in him.  If your mod was a fanfic, then Solaufein would be a Marty Stu--a character created by a fanfic writer who is basically perfect and dominates over the plot, even though they are NOT the main character. 

If the Sola mod were a fanfic (say, a retelling of the original but with Sola instead of Anomen) with "vanilla" BG2 as the canon (say, that hideous "novel" in which Abdel takes Minsc, Jaheira and Imoen against Irenicus) then yes, Solaufein would be a candidate Mary Sue.

For example (tongue in cheek), using the test at http://www.subreality.com/marysue/realpeople.htm yields a score of 17 (including three points for saving the day and two for fitting a stereotype) -- "borderline". The test at http://www.springhole.net/library/marysue.htm yields ... (including using Kelsey as a "canon" character that becomes jealous and points for remaining "sexy" after a battle and giving him points for being impervious to a normal drow weakness (sunlight), rule-bending, being unusually rebellious, powers to take out cities, being given a weapon by a magical being that is Japanese even though you are not, saving the life of a character, ...) 73, "definitely a mary sue". Wow, that was fun.

Unfortunately, I do not view the Sola mod as a fanfic. I also don't view "vanilla" BG2 as the "canon". Instead, I liken BG2 to a tabletop roleplaying game. The computer plays the role of the game master, telling you what your characters perceive. You play the role of CHARNAME, directing the actions of that character. Unfortunately, the other five characters are not so clear. Do you play the role of Jaheira, or does the computer? In general, you can make her "do" what you want. However, you cannot control what she says. And every once in a while she will "do" what she wants (sadly, these times are usually ill-thought-out, like nominally-TN Jaheira leaving you over the svirfneblin). One reason for this is, unfortunately, legacy concerns. Human players tend not to like it when "their" NPCs are not under their direct control. Fallout tried that approach, and although everyone loves Fallout, everyone hated not being able to control the NPCs.

My mental model for BG2 is tabletop roleplaying where you are playing CHARNAME and your five friends are playing the five NPCs. Unfortunately, your five friends are bad at tactics and don't really understand the AD&D rules, so whenever a fight comes up they ask you, out-of-character, whether they should cast magic missile or shoot the crossbow. In general they are also willing to let you lead the group around (but not always: Korgan and Nalia are both lovely counter-examples). But this should not be confused with the story being "about you" (as opposed to about the group or your adventures together). You can get a stronger handle on this by playing a multiplayer BG2 game in which different human players control the other party members. If I play a multiplayer game of BG2 with my friend Scott, even if I happen to be controlling Player1 it is not clear that the game should be "all about me" and that Scott's characters should not get significant moments. Similarly, in the Dragonlance setting (which you will go on to reference), even if Tanis (or was that Raistlin?) is nominally the main character, the others make indepdent suggestions and steal quite a bit of the limelight.

For example, if we imagine (thought experiment now!) that the "canon" is "BG without Imoen at all" and that some mysterious "Imoen Mod" introduces all of the Imoen content with which we are familiar, Imoen would rate an 82 on the second Mary Sue test above -- worse than Solaufein for worming her way into the plot and our hearts and minds. The same holds for Jaheira (chased down by harpers, chats with Elminster, special gifts, the love of a canon character helps her overcome grief, etc.). The same would happen if we imagine Dragons of Autumn Twilight without Raistlin and some "Raistlin Mod" that introduces him. Do we traditionally view Imoen, Raist and Jaheira as Mary Sues? Not at all! Some people would say that they were "present in the original" and is thus somehow disqualified from Mary Sue-dom. In my view, once you fix your set of mods, that becomes "the original" for the purposes of that run through BG2. Imoen, Solaufein, Raist and Jaheira are not Mary Sues in this view -- they are main characters who have a relevance to the plot.

(*) The take-home message here is that I agree that "Sola" could be a Mary Sue against the "game without Sola as canon", but that the same holds for the other major characters. I do not view BG2 mods as fan fiction (see http://www.weidu.org/fandom.html if you want Solaufein fanfic).

Of course, Solaufein doesn't do this EXACTLY, but there are occasions when he--a secondary character--is made to be more like the main character.

I agree with the spirit of what you are saying. However, I don't agree that there really is a "main character" in BG2. I realize that this is a non-standard stance, however. There are also occasions when Irenicus, Bodhi, Imoen, Jaheira, Sarevok and Solaufein all look like the "main character". To steal your example from below, I view BG2 as much more like Dragonlance than like Die Hard. There is a team, and while some have greater roles than others and some leave earlier, there is not a single "main character", despite dramatic appearances.

For example, there's Bodhi; when I spoke to her and she started saying how she would take away Solaufein, I thought to myself, "What does she care about some drow?  She doesn't have the same conversation with Viconia." 

There are a number of interesting points here. One is that, again, Bodhi is more concerned with some characters than others (e.g., she is more concerned with Imoen and her soul than anyone else, Sola or no). Another is that I don't believe that mod authors should be limited by what failed to take place in the original game. Given a larger production budget, I think BG2 should have included conversations between Bodhi and all of her kidnapees. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. If making all of her kidnaps seem "equal" is viewed as a requirement, the mod-author is left with either not including special dialogue there or beefing up the dialogue for everyone else as well. I don't view it as the Sola mod's responsibility (or the Kelsey mod's responsibility!) to beef up Viconia's dialogue like that.

[ For a more in-game response, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that a dark, elven vampire would be interested in making a dark elven vampire.  As you mention above, Sola is quite powerful. Bodhi is quite smart -- a priestess like Vic isn't going to be able to call down favors from Shar once she enters undeath. Vic will be limited to growling and punching with her claws. A fighter and mage like Sola will still be able to use non-divine magics and brawn to aid himself in his undeath, and after the battle (remember that Bodhi thinks she will win) he will be more useful to have around. Bodhi has shown an interest in similar things in the past: see Tanova. Plus all of the reasons explicitly mentioned in the dialogue. ]

When I read it, it really stood out as a fan's idea rather than something "integrated seemlessly" into the game.

Well, I can't argue with the notion that the Solaufein mod is "one fan's idea". Actually, I guess I can, since many people contributed and I wouldn't want to marginalize them.

Again, I see this as a notion of perspective. I am not taking the view that some "earlier" conception of BG2 is the "canon". I take the game as it is when you start to play through it as the world.

Here's a fun example. Most players probably find the plot in which Imoen is captured by Irenicus and subsequently rejoins the party "completely natural" or "seamlessly integrated" into the game. You may well be surprised to learn that it was not at all the original intention of the designers but was instead a council of despair added at the last minute because of other constraints.  When I view "vanilla", "out of the box" BG2 I don't look at all of the ways (some visible in the game and some visible only to modders) in which Imoen's return was handled poorly, especially compared to the designer's original intentions. Instead I take the game as presented as the starting point. The ToB ending and Gaider's Ascencion mod are another (controversial) example of this.

For other examples of why "out of the box" BG2 should not be regarded as definitive, take a look at what has gone into the Oversight Mod and the Baldurdash Fixpack. Most players are willing to take "BG2 + Baldurdash" as "the start of the world". I take it a bit further and accept "BG2 + your current mods" as "the start of the world".

Another thing is Solaufein himself--his stats and his skills.  Maybe I just like canon too much, but it doesn't make sense that he has such a low consitution--seriously, if he was so weak as a child, he would never have become a fighter, he would just be a mage. 

I'm not sure which "canon" you're referring to here, but there's nothing in AD&D or the FRCS that requires more than a 10 CON for a fighter (or, in fact, any amount of CON at all!). There is a strength requirement, and he certainly makes that. Sola actually has slightly above average health for a drow (the average from 3d6-1 would be 9.5). If his training in the Sorciere (sp, see Salvatore) and his fighter training happen simultaneously or if his mage training happened first he would have no trouble using magical defenses like shield, mage armor, blur, mirror image, ghost armor, spirit armor and stoneskin to "make up for" his "slightly above average" constitution.

That said, there's a strong notion of "powergaming" in the suggestion that a "low" constitution of 10 would preclude his training as a fighter. If we were to actually invoke power-gaming, then his stats would appear quite optimized. A 2E AD&D F/M gains a total of 10+18 = 28 hit points (the difference between 65 and 93 at level 9/10). Compared to the -4 AC bonus from the 18 DEX, that's peanuts, especially given the various spell protections.

In a strong sense, the arguments that "Sola is too powerful" and "Sola is a weak fighter" cannot both be true. The fact that he ends up being a very strong fighter means that his CON isn't holding him back. "In game", People like Sola or his fighter trainers, well familiar with the local "laws of physics" (= canon AD&D rules), would have no trouble seeing such things in advance.

However, in my opinion and experience any debate about the stats of an AD&D character ends up being a red herring. Check out rec.games.frp.dnd via google for concrete examples. Essentially, AD&D doesn't give enough meaning to the statistics, so much like horoscopes they are interpreted based on the context of the reader.

In case you've ever read the Dragonlance series, it's just like with Caramon and Raistlin: Raistlin is a mage because he has a pathetic constiution, and Caramon is a fighter because he is strong and tough. 

Actually, a look at interviews with the original Dragonlance players ...

http://www.3rdedition.org/articles/viewer.asp?ID=28

http://www.crescentblues.com/5_6issue/int_weis.shtml

... suggests that most of these are strong retcons or things that were emphasized as the series evolved. Raistlin has a weak voice because his original player, Terry Williams, acted him that way.

Anyway, if you give credence to such arguments than it is worth pointing out that Tanis and Tika had "in-game" CONs of 12, which neither sit that much higher than Sola's 10 nor give any in-game advantage in AD&D. To put it another way, Solaufein is just as healthy as Tanis Half-Elven. 

Finally, "in-game" (if memory serves from the "Look Raist, Bunnies!" series), Raistlin became a mage because of his strong brain, not because of his weak body.

I'm not saying crank up his constitution to 18; I'm saying maybe lower his intelligence and dexterity a little and bring it up to 15 or 16.

Yes, I agree that Sola's stats could be tweaked around to make some subset of the players happy at the expense of others. :-) However, I hold that the stats are a red herring. For example, Sola's STR could be 9 and his WIS and CHA could both be 1 and he would be, tactically, just as powerful. He would be just as strong at beating up bad guys in BG2. With a STR of 9 it would take two castings of the very-long-lasting Strength spell to get him to 18/00. With his "given" STR of 18/21, it takes two castings of the Strength spell to get him to 18/00. Compared to his class (F/M), his stats have very little effect on his overall prowess. Stat-boosting items are also quite common in BG2.

Thus the only benefit in changing the stats involves breaking the fourth wall: changing the stats makes the human player sitting behind the screen "feel more at home" or "feel more comfortable with him". For you (and presumably for others) Sola would "feel more natural" with a higher CON.  For me Sola would feel more natural with a lower STR. So it goes. I agree that I wasn't able to work this out to my satisfaction, but I also think that it's an illusory goal.

After all, if he was a genius, he would've figured out that the PC is not drow the second the PC did not refer to the "devourers" as illithids.

Sadly, for the purposes of "plot" almost any sentence that starts with "if he were a genius" is doomed to failure in BG2. Irenicus, Bodhi, the Cowled Wizards, Firkraag, Sendai, ... almost every major foozle in BG2 has a genius-level intelligence. Despite this, they all make hideous tactical and strategic mistakes. I will certainly agree that no one in BG2 lives up to her full potential in that regard. In some sense, this is necessary: if Irenicus (or any of the others) were "paying attention", you'd never be able to survive.

[ That said, the bit with the devourers comes "before" the Sola mod. When I first made the mod I decided not to touch any of his behaviors while you're still involved in the Ust Natha quests. In game, however, there is no reason to suspect that Sola doesn't actually realize that "something is fishy": he eventually says  ~You are not drow.  I should have known sooner, I think...  Who are you, then?  Why have you masqueraded yourself as drow?~ ]

Also, I seriously don't understand the dual-weild. 

Design decision: when I first made the Sola mod there were no dual-wielders and I wanted to give players a chance to experiment with that.

With these three points in mind, it is now possible to discuss a larger "meta-game" issue. The dual-wielding, the F/M class and the "power" were all in some sense responses to the realization that Sola would have to be "worth the effort" or no one would install him.

In the limit, this is clear: if the Sola mod cost $500 and only added one line where he swore at you before turning into a squirrel, no one use it.  Even if Sola were "exactly as interesting" as an existing character (Korgan, say), people might use him just for variety. However, Sola has strikes against him here even before the game starts: aside from Sarevok (not available when Sola was created) every single NPC (even Imoen!) is easier to recruit. Players must plan out their party with a significant gap in it for much of the game (very few people reported being willing to drop someone after Ust Natha and pick up Sola), which many people loudly reported as a strong inconvenience. 

Given that high barrier to entry, if Sola were merely "just as interesting as Korgan", for most people the novelty would not be sufficient in order to convince them to (a) play the game again and (b) put up with the trouble of Sola joining late.

Thus as a purely meta-game issue Sola often favors "the new" or "the previously untried" or "the uncommon in BG2", if only to give players something to keep them interested and to make playing with him worthwhile.

For heaven's sake, you SEE him weilding a two-handed sword in Ust Natha. 

Yes, that lovely halberd or spear the special drow male avatar carries. If I could have kept the drow male avatar for him and it had worked correctly with the BG2 engine he would have had skills in that.

However, this is not without precedent. The drow you fight in the pit that is carrying the Blade of Searing also uses the same lance graphic but is revealed to be a sword fighter later. More jarringly, creatures like UDDROW28.CRE use that same spear graphic and are revealed to be carrying a flail +3 and a shield +3 (not visible). Thus if you view the original game as the canon, this visual trickery is already firmly entrenched as part of reality even before the Sola mod.

I don't view the original game as canon, so I'll apologize here: yes, that's annoying. I wish I could have done something better, but I felt hemmed in by game engine limitations.

What's wrong with just giving him a nice big sword? 

Nothing. Dual-wielding was chosen for meta-game reasons. Minsc already had the "nice big sword" market covered.

He's not Drizzt, nor is he a ranger--he's a kick-butt fighter who would have to train extra to weild two weapons.

Train extra? Well, he could have put those prof points into something else, I agree.

I don't mean this to be a flame, and I apologize if I offended you. 

Not at all. Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions.

Summary:

* I agree that Sola is a powerful character if you know what you are doing.  This has much more to do with his class and the AD&D rules than his stats.

* If we consider the Sola mod a fanfic with respect to "the game without Sola" as the canon, Sola can easily look like a Mary Sue. However, the same is true (or truer) for Imoen, Raistlin, Jaheira, Sarevok, etc.

* I do not view mods as fanfic. My view of playing BG2 takes "this game with all of these mods I have installed" as the standard and is based more on tabletop roleplaying. I do not view "vanilla BG2" as canon.

* Due in some sense to the state of the BG2 community at the time, many of Sola's design decisions were made in order to make it more worthwhile for userse to try him out. In the mod-rich world of today, many of these decisions can look like unfortunate compromises.

Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Sola mod. I welcome followups, especially negative ones. We need more expressions of dissatisfaction here. 

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Prine

Re: Solaufein as Mary Sue
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 01:17:15 PM »
Going through point by point would take far too long, so I'll try and be brief; my hunch is that there are plenty of people who are happy to try the mod out simply by virtue of the new dialogue and interesting added game content.  For me at least, Solaufein being very powerful is not an added incentive, and in fact the part of me that's a purist (a very vocal part) finds that sort of thing a little deterring.

I agree that he becomes a bit of a game dominator once you get him, too, but I have no problem with that.  On the contrary, I think that he needs a strong presence to make him worth having around, especially considering how potentially close Ust Natha is to the endgame.  The Tsuki no Ken was a bit of a puzzler for me though, I would've thought a Singing Sword would be more appropriate for an ardent follower of Eilistraee.

Actually, I will address one thing specifically:

Yes, that lovely halberd or spear the special drow male avatar carries. If I could have kept the drow male avatar for him and it had worked correctly with the BG2 engine he would have had skills in that.

However, this is not without precedent. The drow you fight in the pit that is carrying the Blade of Searing also uses the same lance graphic but is revealed to be a sword fighter later. More jarringly, creatures like UDDROW28.CRE use that same spear graphic and are revealed to be carrying a flail +3 and a shield +3 (not visible). Thus if you view the original game as the canon, this visual trickery is already firmly entrenched as part of reality even before the Sola mod.

If you look carefully and watch the male drow avatar's attacking animations, I think you'll find that the lance is actually a sword, and a one-handed (bastard-length or thereabouts) sword at that, albeit with an unusual hooked tip.  Also, and I might be imagining things, but it looks as if the same sprite has a little buckler attached to its off-hand.  Either that or a really big gauntlet.  I agree with F/M for Sola's class -- he clearly knows magic, and lest we forget he's a commander in Ust Natha's male fighter's society -- but I think single-wielding a bastard sword or long sword would've been more appropriate and unique.  There are other NPCs who fill the dual-wield role, specifically Haer'Dalis; and Minsc and Valygar have their ranger bonuses from the outset.  I couldn't imagine taking Valygar on as anything but a dual-wielder.  Conversely, how many single-wield finesse fighters are there?

Offline neriana

• Planewalker
    • Darien NPC for BG2
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 05:46:03 PM »
I don't mind Solaufein being so powerful (considering the ridiculously difficult battles in the mod, he's pretty average :)). There are only two times his presence overwhelms me to the point of disliking it: one is when he pre-empts other character's dialogues, as with Mazzy and the Shade Lord. I don't know if this is still in the mod, however. The second is the Bodhi kidnapping. The center of gravity gets located around Solaufein in those instances, and he becomes every bit as important as the PC and much more important than every other NPC except possibly Imoen.
The color of infinity inside an empty glass.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 08:38:12 PM »
Interestingly, Kelsey scored just 11 on the first test, less than Solaufein, but 76 on the second test, more than Solaufein--despite the lack of Japanese weapon!
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 02:27:48 PM »
Appart from what Neriana has noted previously - the vampire transformation dialogues and horrendous battles - my inability to play Solaufein mod was due to dissapointment in the character concept.

I would like to point out immediately that it is not about what Wes did, it is about what I have expected.

I was sure I would be getting quazi Zacknafein Do'urden - a male who managed to find a definition of honor in a society of chotic evil. A male who is fearful and cowers when he has to, but would very much want not to. A survivalist who has no hope and knows the value of power. A bitter man, but responsive and hungry for what he can only guess at. Ie a neutral aligned drow occupiying a high position in House Despana until recently, was a lover of the eldest daughter of the House and managed to escape with his life what he should not have survived.

Instead I got the Poet who did not write his own poetry... nice... but why pin this particular personality on Solaufein?
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 03:22:39 PM »
Probably because I can't write "bitter" well at all. :-)

You're not the only one to have wished for a tougher, darker, more bitter Solaufein. Someone with more lines like "Blasted arrogant wench! May the spider queen bite at her black heart!" Unfortunately, I'm not cool enough to write such a character convincingly. He would have sounded like a wooden charicature (or "more like a", depending on your views).

In addition, Solaufein was trying to be a romance that I (Wes Weimer) would vaguely enjoy, and I'm not a big fan of bitter. Thus the poetry and philosophy. I'm also not a big fan of people without spines, and "Weimerfein" sometimes seem to combine all the backbone powers of post-Icehouse Joey with pre-Kaworu Shinji, but that's another story. :-)

Given that you can't play through the mod, thanks for taking the time to comment about it. :-)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 03:24:57 PM »
all the backbone powers of post-Icehouse Joey

I'm sure this means something to anime fans.

Other than what it reads like to me, which is "the guy from Friends with a spinoff show, after having a few beers."
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 04:31:20 PM »
I can understand the reluctance to write something that you are sure would turn unsuccessful, as incompatible with your style. Not that I was expecting the 'Blasted wench, Spider Queen bite y'ass!', but it besides the point.

What I am trying to say is rather that: I do not understand why the said personality was attached (in my view at random) to Solaufein. Why not to Naljer Scul, Elhan or a custom bard character? Now, quite a stupid question two years after, I realize that, but it was bothering me ever since I downloaded that pre-historic Solaufein V20.

But as a creator you are the only person who knows the answer. :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 04:33:26 PM by Ashara »
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 02:29:34 PM »
 i'm about to be significantly unconstructive, since i haven't had the chance to test solaufein yet (though i look forward immensely to doing so).  the exceptions to your 'no dual-wielders' statement were already pointed out, but also:
there's nothing in AD&D or the FRCS that requires more than a 10 CON for a fighter (or, in fact, any amount of CON at all!).
  1e had a minimum 7 con on the charts.  i know we're not really talking about 1e, but often when someone mentions blanket 'ad&d' my antennae get twitchy. ::)

but on the grandest scale, i find your concision and thoroughness (already amply evidenced while i d/l'd all of the weimar mods) vital.  always good to remember when a rude awakening such as "Sola is gay" disrupts one's futile dream of an absolutely sophisticated community...  :P
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline VelNoDolan

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 01:48:40 AM »
I have to say that I understand the power that Wiemer has expressed about F/M class characters.  Myself, for my PC, I chose F/M, and was certainly not disappointed.

The Sola-mod is likely one of my most favorite mods out of all the ones I have tried, which I believe is saying alot.  To say that Sola is a powerhouse, a Mary Sue, or other so such, I find, is rather pointless.  He was made the way he was made.  Sola was originally, in the storyline, a very powerful drow.  After all, he was entrusted with overseeing the rescue of the Matron Mothers daughter, which is in itself a rather impressive feat.  It is true he wields a great deal of power, but so does every other character in the game, some more-so than others.
For example, take Anomen.  A fighter/cleric.  Somehow, even through all his self-righteous, pompous attitude, he became one of my party-favorites.  Why?  Because he was capable of getting the job done.  His ability to kill things was a great boon to my team, as was the healing and restorative capabilities offered him by his Cleric status.  I never, once, had to worry about Anomen failing on me.  But I have yet to see anything stating Anomen is overly powerful or that he overruns the game.
Another character with considerable power is Aerie.  She is one of the most versatile NPC's that I have found in the games original loadout of characters.  While she hardly holds her own in hand to hand combat, her magical capabilities more than make up for any grievances.  Summoning Deva's and Planetars, bringing up some of the most destructive magics in the game, from both sides of the field, with equal ease.  When it comes to a support character she is, by far, the most potent.  And yet she is not seen as a power-house either.  In fact, many people I have spoken to find her of little use.

Now, maybe I was just biased by the fact that my own PC was the same class as Sola, but I really didn't find him that overpowering.  He was potent, that much is for certain, if a little difficult to keep around at first (his level doesn't really suit to handling the same things my PC could, after all).  But as was stated before, why would anyone use him if he wasn't a viable choice?  Why not use Minsc, or Jaheira, or Valygar, or Korgan?  Each of these characters can fight just as well as Sola.  Or why not utilize Edwin, or Nalia?  These two bring their own advantages to the fold, with Edwin and his combative magics, or Nalia and her thieving and mage skills.  If Sola were just a nobody average character with no bonuses, he would end up left by the wayside, just as many NPC's in my own game did.

Now, a point I noticed was that Sola overpowers the game, "steals the limelight" so to speak.  And that got me to thinking.  How much do you place into the PC?  The PC happens to be the point that the game was based upon.  Alright, that much is understandable.  He's the lead bhaalspawn.  But that doesnt necessarily mean that he is the be-all and end-all of the center stage.  During the scene just after escaping Chateau Irenicus, isn't it Imoen who takes the more precident role?  The point that Undead Sola seems to dominate is simply outrageous to me.  It feels to me as if this states that the PC shouldn't come up against anything that is obviously far superior.  And how does that work?  In every good fantasy storyline, the protagonist comes against something that is bigger, badder and meaner than they are.  Why?  To produce that feeling of hopelessness.  What good is a storyline where, no matter what the protagonist goes against, he simply walks over it and comes out fine?  It makes the storyline bland.  And while Irenicus is supposed to be uber-powerful, I didn't so much find him difficult as somewhat annoying.  And, while the powerhouse in the undead sola scene is obviously everyones favorite undead drow, the storyline is still centered on the PC.  Sola doesn't command the scene, nor does he lessen the PC's presence.  He simply makes the scene more challenging, not something that the typical typhoon of weapons that marks the final fight with Bodhi can beat.  It makes you think, challenges you.  And if this makes the scene invalid because the PC is outmatched, then I am afraid you simply put too much into the PC as a central entity.

At any rate, that is my rant and rave on this topic.

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 08:33:51 AM »
To say that Sola is a powerhouse, a Mary Sue, or other so such...

Powerhouse and Mary Sue are two different venues of critique. Powerhouses addresses the character's build and in-game preformance. Mary-Sue addresses writing/character development side of things.

—George R.R. Martin

-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Nicholas

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 08:47:35 AM »
Solaufein is great.  Seriously.  Don't change a thing -- not from the basic concept anyway.

Offline VelNoDolan

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 06:04:22 PM »
I never stated that a Mary Sue and a Powerhouse were the same thing.  If that had been what I meant, then it would have been written Powerhouse/Mary Sue.  As it stands, I was simply saying that neither title, at least in my humble opinion, truely fits to the character.

Offline Bronwyn

• Planewalker
  • Ilyena Sunhair
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 12:40:22 PM »
For example, take Anomen.  A fighter/cleric.  Somehow, even through all his self-righteous, pompous attitude, he became one of my party-favorites.  Why?  Because he was capable of getting the job done.  His ability to kill things was a great boon to my team, as was the healing and restorative capabilities offered him by his Cleric status.  I never, once, had to worry about Anomen failing on me.  But I have yet to see anything stating Anomen is overly powerful or that he overruns the game.
Another character with considerable power is Aerie.  She is one of the most versatile NPC's that I have found in the games original loadout of characters.  While she hardly holds her own in hand to hand combat, her magical capabilities more than make up for any grievances.  Summoning Deva's and Planetars, bringing up some of the most destructive magics in the game, from both sides of the field, with equal ease.  When it comes to a support character she is, by far, the most potent.  And yet she is not seen as a power-house either.  In fact, many people I have spoken to find her of little use.

I have to agree with this. I've always kind of wondered why no one ever complained that Ano or Aerie was a bit overpowered. I would actually consider Anomen to be a more powerful character than Sola. At least for my playing style. I will say though the one thing I really appreciated about the Sola mod was it changed the way I play. I was a much less tactical player before and it opened up a whole new kind of interest in the game for me. I'm MUCH more open to playing characters that require more effort on my part tactically as opposed to just bashing my way through the game likes its Diablo or something. I've played through with Sola several times and also Kelsey several times and I don't agree that either one of them are anymore overpowered and out of place than any of the other pre-existing NPCs. Frankly I always thought making Immy a Bhaalspawn was a terrible idea. I hardly every keep her when I play because I just really don't like the plotline of her being a Bhaalspawn too. Well and more recently I don't like it when I'm not romancing Kelsey and he starts to hit on her. All romance options belong to me sis!

The fearsome undead hunter commonly referred to as "Pumpkin"..... also sometimes known as Ilyena...

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 01:54:20 PM »
I've played through with Sola several times and also Kelsey several times and I don't agree that either one of them are anymore overpowered and out of place than any of the other pre-existing NPCs.

Kelsey's cloak (or at least most of its capabilities), in retrospect, was entirely superfluous given how massively powerful sorcerers are. I don't find it horrifyingly unbalancing, but it was an unnecessary extra edge. But as Wes and I will both fess up to, we knew a lot less about the adoption rates of new NPCs then than we do now. :)

Well and more recently I don't like it when I'm not romancing Kelsey and he starts to hit on her. All romance options belong to me sis!

Heheh. And here I thought people would be face-axeing Kelsey over messing with Imoen!

Offline Bronwyn

• Planewalker
  • Ilyena Sunhair
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 02:15:19 PM »
Heheh. And here I thought people would be face-axeing Kelsey over messing with Imoen!

Well I did feel like face-axeing him but because he was cheating on me! how could he let a small thing like sleeping with Anomen come between us? <sigh>

One other thing I appreciated about the Kelsey mod was I have much less of a preoccupation with character stats now. I actually prefer characters that have less than perfect stats or more random average stats.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 02:34:19 PM by Bronwyn »
The fearsome undead hunter commonly referred to as "Pumpkin"..... also sometimes known as Ilyena...

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 02:32:15 PM »
Really? Kelsey is rather shamefully min/maxed, actually. A sorcerer HAS no prime requisite in the BG2 rules but I deliberately put him in bonus in DEX and CON to help keep him alive. :) It's true that I made a deliberate decision not to make him on paper be the strongest or the smartest or the prettiest, but then, it also wasn't important from a game-mechanics standpoint either. He just had to be able to lug his share of the loot around. :) Damn Imoen.

Offline Bronwyn

• Planewalker
  • Ilyena Sunhair
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 02:38:56 PM »
yes its true I used to be neurotically obsessed with getting all the stats as high as I could on my PC, I would reroll and reroll and reroll, its probably a good thing I don't gamble.

Offline Ajnos

• Reticent
  • Planewalker
  • facilis descensus Averno
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 03:22:53 PM »
Well I did feel like face-axeing him but because he was cheating on me! how could he let a small thing like sleeping with Anomen come between us? <sigh>

So, let me get this straight.  You can romance Kelsey right up through ToB, until in the first quarter when you... er, do the Anomen thing after which point you can then break up with Kelsey and he will _immediately_ romance Imoen?  In the same game?
There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing

Offline Bronwyn

• Planewalker
  • Ilyena Sunhair
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 03:27:56 PM »

So, let me get this straight.  You can romance Kelsey right up through ToB, until in the first quarter when you... er, do the Anomen thing after which point you can then break up with Kelsey and he will _immediately_ romance Imoen?  In the same game?

I have no idea if he would romance Imoen at that point I wasn't refering to something that actually occured in the game I was more poking fun at myself in terms of even if I'm not romancing him I don't want him to romance her either :)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2004, 03:40:47 PM »

Would you rather he wait for the next game? :)

Looking at how I wrote it up, it is possible, however unlikely, that this could happen.

Offline Ajnos

• Reticent
  • Planewalker
  • facilis descensus Averno
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2004, 03:48:31 PM »
I have no idea if he would romance Imoen at that point I wasn't refering to something that actually occured in the game I was more poking fun at myself in terms of even if I'm not romancing him I don't want him to romance her either :)

I dump Imoen before ToB if I'm dragging around an unromanced Kelsey.  I'm very mean that way. :)

Would you rather he wait for the next game? :)

Eh, sheesh.  I was hoping to get that edited.  But yes, damnit yes, he should wait 'till the next game!

Looking at how I wrote it up, it is possible, however unlikely, that this could happen.

Hm.  Oh well, it doesn't happen in my games anyway. :)
There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: