Author Topic: IRON MODDER 5 RESULTS  (Read 4542 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
IRON MODDER 5 RESULTS
« on: September 19, 2004, 08:08:20 PM »
Bang a gong for the fifth-ever Iron Modder competition, the sweatiest of all sweaty modding showdowns, the pinnacle of performance for Infinity Engine experts worldwide. Chairman Kaga carefully selected the theme "The Price Of Friendship" to tempt the palates of judge and modder alike.

Six Iron Modders answered the Chairman's call, but not all found the warm hand of friendship awaiting them when it came time to compile their culinary creations! Our panel of experts was undaunted and we salute all who take up the difficult challenge of the Iron Mod!

As is his custom, the Chairman addressed the floor before making his presentation.

One man's friend is another man's enemy. Is there a price too high to pay for friendship? This is not a question we may answer today, but through the efforts of the Iron Modders, we may come closer to understanding ourselves.

Scoring judges were jcompton, St. Josephine, BevH, and Seifer.

IRON MODDER ANDYR

The Iron Gibberling unfurls a tale of pilfering and intrigue: a ne'er-do-well robs one of the Promenade's scroll-sellers of his wares: Friends scrolls! Although the tale was meant to be one of redemption or revenge, technical glitches meant the judges went straight from the appetizer to the dessert of resolution!

"A saucer of originality served with a base of thievery and a side order of halfing, the palette was whetted for some non-Imoen material.  It started well but the dish, whilst looking appetizing went wildly astray once the skin had been removed.  The scourge of our lovable bookkeeper had decided he was already reformed before our potential redeemers were able to get to him.  This killed the mod and didn’t allow me to get any further." - Seifer

"Ooh, what a tease!  Galoomp offers up a delicious quest but when the meal is found, evidentially all the courses have been served!  How disappointing! Unfortunately, it was difficult to discern from this delicate crumb how The Price of Friendship was involved." – St. Josephine

"I was ready to sink my teeth into this.  However this was a sandwich with no meat." - BevH

IRON MODDER SCONRAD

Iron Modder SConrad conjures shades of the Master Wraith in a mindbending interlude with a ghostly visionary of Scandinavian descent who presents <CHARNAME> a vision of all he has given up for Imoen's friendship. Are we to second-guess our devotion to the pink-haired one, or reject his manipulation? Is Imoen to blame for Irenicus's misdeeds? SConrad makes the choice for our testers with railroaded dialogue, a prix-fixe menu of mod, if you will.

"One line was interesting in this – “Who I am hardly matters but I can show you who I am.”  Amusing when the printed line was somewhat different to that and considering Sebastian recorded his own voice set for his evil spirit it set the rest of the mod up perfectly.  A nice dish that has had a lot of work placed into it and the vocal mishap only added to the amusement of it rather then detracting it.  All I can really fault it with was that the addition of Minsc did nothing to the party.  It was revealed afterwards that he needed to be clicked on but this; I’m afraid couldn’t be taken into account and that it took the immediately obvious route of focusing on Imoen. " - Seifer

"Tasty!" – St. Josephine

IRON MODDER SIMDING0

Iron Modder SimDing0 presents an interlude with Imoen, a friend who suffered greatly for the sake of her Bhaalspawn sibling, offering to give up her life in his/her stead. Ding0 garnishes the dish with brutal parody of other mods which have come before, putting an acrid air into this light snack of a mod.

"A nice starter and kept to the best rule of culinary preparation – simplicity.  Sim once again proves himself the master of shameless vulgarity and its good as he does it well.  He does also manage to add an extra, unexpected spice via the first recorded usage of the Bimoen2.dlg.  Or as far as I’m recalling it does." - Seifer

"Like a blowfish, this entry left one feeling strangely uncomfortable yet satiated.  The replayability options boggle the mind (male\female\nice\not-so-nice)!  Also, very much appreciated how the esteemed author of this mod took into consideration gender differences when it came to assaulting their old friend Imoen.  Girl
power!" – St. Josephine

IRON MODDER GHREYFAIN (unscored)

The legendary Iron Pirate was in fine trash-talking form before, during, and after the competition, cocksure that his dark amendment to the tale of Quallo in the sewers would wow the judges, but in a catastrophic turn of events, the Molybdenum Marauder forgot to test his final fixes with a clean saved game, and the judges had nothing to evaluate.

IRON MODDER IGI (unscored)

In minimalist fashion, igi appeared to plan the decimation of party finances: the "cost" of friendship, as it were. Sadly, the lack of an install script put an end to this unique "comrade tax" before it could begin.

IRON MODDER SHED (unscored)

Shed attempted to tell the tale of Phil and Terrence, merchants of Trademeet, once close friends but now caught in a bitter dispute. Unfortunately, install challenges prevented the judges from enjoying the experience.

The judges have had their say! Many challenged the theme, six finished, only three could be digested! Who would carry the day? Who had served the bill for the true price of friendship? Who will it be? Which Iron Modder shall reign supreme?

IRON MODDER SCONRAD!

We have a new triumphant master of Infinity Stadium! With his devastating illusion, SConrad challenges the faith of the Bhaalspawn and wins the day! Our heartfelt thanks to all who take up the gauntlet of the Iron Mod!

FINAL SCORES out of 25 possible (average)

SConrad: 15.375
SimDing0: 12.75
Andyr: 8.125
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: IRON MODDER 5 RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 08:11:20 PM »
Average scores by category

EXposition of the Theme (1-10)
Originality (1-5)
Innovation (1-5)
ENtertainment (1-5)

SCONRAD
EX: 6.625
O: 3.5
I: 2.625
EN: 2.625
# of first-place votes: 3

SIMDING0
EX: 5.5
O: 2.25
I: 2
EN: 3.125
# of first-place votes: 1

ANDYR
EX: 2.875
O: 2.375
I: 1.5
EN: 1.375
# of first-place votes: 0
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: IRON MODDER 5 RESULTS (download pack now available)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 12:26:49 AM »
Head to http://www.pocketplane.net/ironmod for the download page for the IM5 pack (and all previous competitions.)

New mods, and bugfixed versions of the submitted mods, are included. Don't miss it!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:48:09 AM by jcompton »

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 08:27:35 PM »
Now updated with Neriana's entry.

(and another update to update Neriana's README.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 09:38:37 PM by jcompton »

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 09:25:30 AM »
And updated again with a working entry from Shed.