Author Topic: Non-PC Paladins  (Read 5947 times)

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
Non-PC Paladins
« on: September 18, 2004, 07:55:01 AM »
A post by SoS in the Quest Pack Forum got me thinking (rare occurance...). If  a PC Paladin falls as the result of any Virtue drop, shouldn't Keldorn (and other NPC Paladins) leave the party when Virtue drops? After all, they, as a Paladin, shoudn't agree to taking part in evil activities, or to working together with someone they know committed evil...

Offline Lord Kain

• "I was the 500th member on the old forgottenwars forum and all I got was this lousy title"
  • Planewalker
Re: Non-PC Paladins
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 07:20:36 PM »
A Paladin expects to live by a code. But a Paladin does not expect everyone to live by that code.
Now, at last, the masks had fallen away.  The strings of the puppets had become visible, and the hands of the prime mover exposed.  Most ironic of all was the last gift that Raziel had given me, more powerful than the sword that now held his soul, more acute even than the vision his sacrifice had accorded me - the first bitter taste of that terrible illusion:  Hope.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 07:26:44 PM »
It would make sense, though, if the Paladin NPCs starting moaning at a much higher Reputation/Virtue than other Good characters do.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 08:28:42 AM »
But Virtue doesn't really drop for a violation of the Paladin's code. It generally drops for committing evil acts, with which a Paladin certainly would not agree...

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 11:47:01 AM »
The logic is arguably something along the lines of "the paladins try to stick around to reform you/keep an eye on you/whatever". They might well start complaining at a higher point than other NPCs, but it seems like an unsatisfying solution to just have Keldorn pack up and leave when you sponsor a dog fight or whatever.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 06:54:39 PM »
I don't think he's talking about just any PC, but a *paladin* PC.  A PC who *is* expected to live up to all the standards and codes of whichever order he's in.
Earn Money Sleeping.

EarthquakeDamage

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 12:30:19 AM »
On the subject of Non-PC Paladins, shouldn't Keldorn fall if he slaughters a random innocent?  Party NPCs are clearly not mindless drones bent to the PC's will since they are perfectly willing to leave the party or fight amongst themselves should there be alignment conflicts.  So if I tell Keldorn to kill a beggar without reason and he obeys, shouldn't he fall?

Yes, I do have so much free time that I ask silly questions.

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 01:19:55 AM »
Actually, he (...and Mazzy, Valygar, Aerie...) should refuse the command, leave the party, and turn red-circled.  However, I fear implementing this for every Innocent may be a little beyond what Sim wants to put in Virtue.
Beauty standing amidst fiery destruction.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 04:51:55 AM »
Thinking about it, I'm not actually sure I could technically implement that. I can't see a way to have NPCs ignore specific commands issued by the player.

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 04:59:08 AM »
Well, I'd actually say it shouldn't matter who was actually instructed to attack the innocent--if anyone in the party attacks an innocent, a bunch of NPCs should leave and go red-circled.
Beauty standing amidst fiery destruction.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 05:05:46 AM »
Oh, the actual attacking can be detected, just not the order.

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 10:57:54 AM »
I don't think he's talking about just any PC, but a *paladin* PC. A PC who *is* expected to live up to all the standards and codes of whichever order he's in.
Not really, but I think there would be even more reason for a Paladin to leave if that were the case.

If you don't like the original idea, how about Paladins issuing a (spoken) warning if Virtue drops once, and leaving when it happens again (or maybe after the third time)?

Also, I do think it'd be nice to have some NPC's turning purple and attacking the person that attacked an innocent...

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2004, 11:57:53 AM »
I think purple circles were dropped in BG2. I know Tutu had some issues with the stuff involving purple circles in BG1.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Caedwyr

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2004, 12:01:44 PM »
During the dream sequences in BGII your party members are purple circled.  I'm thinking of the dreams outside of candlekeep.
"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."  - Mikka

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2004, 12:04:22 PM »
Oh, um, in that case ignore me. :)

Offline igi

• IESDP Guardian
  • Planewalker
  • IESDP Guardian
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2004, 04:56:40 PM »
Purple circles show when using the MakeUnselectable() action.
NPC: Arg || Galoomp || Thash
Mods: Dark Heart of the Xvart || GbG
Tweak Pack: iiTweak

mcwrench.com
mcwrench.com forums

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 06:24:15 AM »
Andyr's actually right, purple circles do suck in BG2.  You can't issue script commands to anyone who's purple circled, unless they're issued in the same action block of a script or dialogue.  This is why the tutu purple-circle fights failed.  All the attack commands were issued after the NPCs turned purple.

The better way to do it, which is what they do in BG2 already, is have the NPC leave the party so he's blue-circled, and have him fight that way.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Janneia

• ...Who's Almost Never Here
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 04:18:47 AM »
I think purple circles were dropped in BG2. I know Tutu had some issues with the stuff involving purple circles in BG1.

That's odd. I was playing in Sendai's enclave yesterday and I was at the point of this drow person who was trying to kill me FOR Sendai and there was this Spectator (??) Beholder thing which was from somewhere else who asked me if I wanted a geas put on me and that guy and we'd fight it out and whoever loses, their whole party dies with them. (The Spectator was like, don't you think Sendai would take the credit for killing this Bhaalspawn etc). Do I really want to take out that much drow? No. I wasn't. So I agreed and all my party members went purple-circled and I defeated the guy. And they all died and I couldn't reach their stuff... :'(
It is better to be paranoid than dead.<br><br>If at first you don't succeed...emulate.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 06:39:32 PM »
As Ghrey said, they are in, but you can't do everything with them that you can do a character who ir not purple. ;)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: