Author Topic: Newfangled Skulltrap shenanigans  (Read 5383 times)

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
Newfangled Skulltrap shenanigans
« on: September 13, 2004, 04:55:21 PM »
Can you cast it on enemy skeletons, too?

And as an aside, what's going to happen to Glyph of Warding, if anything?  I recall reading the P&P description somewhere, and it's like some ward you write on something, like a drawer or door, and if it opens or is manipulated or whatever, it explodes.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: Newfangled Skulltrap shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 05:30:04 PM »

You can only cast it on skeletons created with the Animate Dead spell, although now that I think about it, you can cast it on skeletons animated by enemy clerics.

And as an aside, what's going to happen to Glyph of Warding, if anything?  I recall reading the P&P description somewhere, and it's like some ward you write on something, like a drawer or door, and if it opens or is manipulated or whatever, it explodes.

Not much really. It remains the way it is and the description had been changed to reflect that. Trapping containers, doors, drawers and so on is not possible since you would need a spell that creates a trigger region in the ARE.

-Echon

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 07:37:33 AM »

You can only cast it on skeletons created with the Animate Dead spell, although now that I think about it, you can cast it on skeletons animated by enemy clerics.
I'd say it should either work only with friendly skeletons, or on any at all, rather than only those from a particular spell.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 07:58:15 AM »
The only friendly skeletons in the game are those from that particular spell, and I only want the player to be able to cast Skulltrap on those. Whether they are hostile or not makes no difference as enemy NPCs use the same spells and thus animate the same skeletons. To prevent that, I would need to make seperate Animate Dead spells for the AI.

-Echon

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 08:00:57 AM »
Couldn't you IDS target the spell effects to exclude hostile skeletons?

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 08:05:01 AM »
I already do that. Skeletons from Animate Dead have had their class changed to SKELETON_ANIMATED, but I think I already explained why that does not solve the problem. I do not know of any way to IDS target both animated skeletons and friendly creatures without targeting both of them.

-Echon

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 08:11:48 AM »
If the only skeletons that are ever friendly are the animated ones, surely you only need to target the allegiance?

Otherwise, you can chain the EFFs. One EFF targetted on class can call another targetted on allegiance, which performs the actual effect.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 08:18:41 AM »
If the only skeletons that are ever friendly are the animated ones, surely you only need to target the allegiance?

I just assume all summoned creatures have the same allegiance, meaning that Skulltrap could be cast on kobolds, bears, and so on.

Otherwise, you can chain the EFFs. One EFF targetted on class can call another targetted on allegiance, which performs the actual effect.

Why the hell did I not think of that..? :)

-Echon

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 08:20:57 AM »

I just assume all summoned creatures have the same allegiance, meaning that Skulltrap could be cast on kobolds, bears, and so on.
Not doing very well today, am I? Gah, sorry.

Why the hell did I not think of that..? :)
I'm fairly confident about this one, though... :)

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 08:36:26 AM »
I'm fairly confident about this one, though... :)

Yeah, I am sure that works, too. It should also solve the problem with Otiluke's Resilient Sphere and hostile party members. It just bugs me I did not think of this method earlier. I thought I was getting some of the more advanced modding under control with the implementation of spells like Chant.

-Echon

Offline hlidskialf

• Owner of the first chair with an ale-fridge
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 12:03:22 PM »
I just wanted to point out that a party can also get "friendly" skeletons from an evil cleric's turn undead ability...
Unknown to most, hlidskialf is the first incarnation of the eternal warrior with a beer fridge in his chair.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 01:07:16 PM »
Ooh, good point. Thanks for pointing that out. I am going to remove the unique class ID for animated skeletons and just IDS target allied skeletons.

-Echon

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: