Author Topic: Have the French succeeded?  (Read 2725 times)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Have the French succeeded?
« on: September 05, 2004, 01:02:47 AM »
http://iexpbg.free.fr/Fixes.htm

Someone who speaks French, or not but is an IE tech junkie, take a look at the last entry on that page.  Have they figured out how to carry over the Flame Sword animation to BG2?
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline hlidskialf

• Owner of the first chair with an ale-fridge
  • Planewalker
Re: Have the French succeeded?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 01:30:34 AM »
Well, it's been done before. Someone a while back spent the time converting it all over, and used it with custom Elminster and some skeleton avatars. (He never ended up sharing but there were some convincing screenshots.) The bam files in the download don't match any in game off the top of my head, but I suppose they could be added.

Edit: IIRC the fella was french as well. *Pokes Ghrey* You remember that guy right? He had the Elminster and Flamesword facination. Both can be found on the site Ice posted. (Although the Elminster/TOB has a bad link. Grab it from the parent directory instead if you want it.) I think it likely it's the same dude.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 01:47:37 AM by hlidskialf »
Unknown to most, hlidskialf is the first incarnation of the eternal warrior with a beer fridge in his chair.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 05:19:22 AM »
It doesn't for player characters, at least. The main hand inventory icon becomes flaming, but not the off-hand, and it doesn't work in the actual game.

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 12:30:28 PM »
Yeah, I remember when Falco did that.  The flame sword animation only worked for BG1 avatars that hadn't been changed from their five-directional BG1 set-up.  The BG2 PC avatars now face in nine directions.  South, SSE, SE, ESE, E, ENE, NE, NNE, and North.  The ones from BG1 only faced S, SE, E, NE, N, NW, W, and SW.  The flame sword animation only works with those ones.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Shed

• Planewalker
  • ZOMG!
    • OMGWeRTehFuny
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 07:24:53 AM »
One Pixel Productions have already done this.
Quote from: jcompton
Whatever, man. We'll just see what happens when Seifer and Shed have another attack of "omg we are teh funy".

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 12:56:52 PM »
That's just the paperdolls, though.  Which I've downloaded, now that I look at them, but it isn't the in-game avatar.  Sadly, that's still just a glowing regular sword, and probably will be unless someone has a *lot* of time on their hands.

Some people aren't sure why it's such a hard thing to do, so I'll summarize things.

As explained above, the BG1 animation has different sequences.  To make it work in BG2, you'd need all new SSE, ESE, ENE, and NNE sequences. Then there's the fact that the avatars swing their weapons differently than in BG1.  They have more frames, I think, and the flame-sword, if just ported straight over to the sequences it already does have, would be all out of synch with the attacking player's hand.  Hovering and whatnot.

I think if someone really does want to try their hand at this, my best suggestion would just be to start from scratch with the existing BG2 long-sword avatar animation, and add flame wisps to each flame manually.  Ouch, eh?  This doesn't even mention the fact that you may very well have to overwrite one of the existing weapon animations to add this.  I'd suggest flails, because they suck and're ugly as sin, but it still bugs me to have to overwrite stuff, you know?
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 12:58:19 PM »
Flails look cool.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 01:16:55 PM »
And technically, Ghrey doesn't know anything about this, being banned from One Pixel Productions and all of the other fine, fine Studios forums.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 01:29:41 PM »
Flails look cool.

While your fashion sense may be good enough to warrant a stick-man avatar, you have failed in this regard.  I... I used to respect you, Andy.  But now it's kind of been proven that overwriting any one type of weapon is not a good idea.

And technically, Ghrey doesn't know anything about this, being banned from One Pixel Productions and all of the other fine, fine Studios forums.

You can't prove anything!  I was playing poker with my cousin Vinny!  You need a warrant or something, don't you?
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2004, 04:09:46 PM »
Flails look cool.

While your fashion sense may be good enough to warrant a stick-man avatar, you have failed in this regard.  I... I used to respect you, Andy.

I am sorry to hear that. I will now finish BoB for you as penance.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2004, 09:17:18 PM »
Sweet.  I'll fill you in on the plan.  Let me upload it...
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2004, 09:18:56 PM »
Sweet.  I'll fill you in on the plan.  Let me upload it...

Got it. Gimme 5 mins...

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2004, 04:51:17 AM »
Why would you need to overwrite existing anims Ghrey?
I thought Max has already proven that new weapon anims work. Or am i mistaken?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 05:54:47 AM by Avenger_teambg »

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2004, 05:12:35 AM »
Flails look cool.

While your fashion sense may be good enough to warrant a stick-man avatar, you have failed in this regard.

Andyr's avatar now has pubes. :(

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2004, 11:01:23 AM »
Why would you need to overwrite existing anims Ghrey?
I thought Max has already proven that new weapon anims work. Or am i mistaken?

Too bad he didn't tell the rest of us. :)
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2004, 03:23:45 PM »
I think he did. On TeamBG.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2004, 07:43:54 AM »
Flails look cool.

While your fashion sense may be good enough to warrant a stick-man avatar, you have failed in this regard.

Andyr's avatar now has pubes. :(

It grew up.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: