Author Topic: Stopping Paladins from falling.  (Read 12205 times)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Stopping Paladins from falling.
« on: September 01, 2004, 03:00:29 PM »
Anyone know if it is possible to stop Paladins falling when they do bad stuff?

I know you can use RemovePaladinHood and RegainPaladinHood, but I guess that could cause problems when you're an Evil character.

I'm thinking about this for a Blackguard kit - if I can base it on a Paladin, it will make things easier for me. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Re: Stopping Paladins from falling.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 03:59:46 PM »
There's no way of doing it at all, sorry. Virtue doesn't actually stop it either, but shh.

There's some SPL file that gets applied when a paladin falls which might help you out. I forget what it's called though. Anyone?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 08:26:05 PM »
Any other ideas, anyone? Know what the SPL is?

I will love you this <-----> much. Or pay someone else to, if that's your bag.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Caedwyr

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 09:44:13 PM »
If its a matter of a spell being applied, I suppose the obvious answer would be to grant the Blackguard kit immunity to that particular spell.  However, since this is such an obvious answer, I guess this has already been tried and found not to work. :(
"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."  - Mikka

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

Offline seanas

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 04:59:12 AM »
i'm guessing you want a solution more elegant than the anti-paladin, yeah? it has a spell PALREP.spl which is assigned in the CLAB at lvl1; PALREP is an SetAIScript for ANTIPAL.BCS, which does:
Code: [Select]
IF
FallenPaladin(Myself)
ReputationLT(Myself,14)
Global("GOODIE_TWO_SHOES","LOCALS",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
RegainPaladinHood()
END

IF
!FallenPaladin(Myself)
ReputationGT(Myself,13)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("GOODIE_TWO_SHOES","LOCALS",1)
RemovePaladinHood()
END
"those who like TDD are already busy giving install advice to newbies" - the bigg

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 06:52:54 AM »
RegainPaladinHood and RemovePaladinHood aren't acceptable in a solution, because they change reputation. If a paladin falls to 1 rep, RegainPaladinHood will boost the rep straight back up to 10 or whatever the minimum is.

The spell I'm thinking of may well be SPCL234 or SPCL235, but I don't recall for certain. Immunity to the spell(s) won't work, because they don't contain ALL the effects of falling (like losing the paladin CLAB progression), but rather just some afterthoughts like disabling spellcasting.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 07:38:08 AM »
SPCL235 removes Turn Undead from an Inquisitor via CLAB so I doubt it's the generalized 'paladin falling' spell. I'm willing to bet it's a hardcoded engine feature.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Idobek

• Dust Bunny
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 07:44:12 AM »
SPCL351, SPCL234 & SPCL235 are the 3 spells applied by the fallen paladin CLAB file (CLABPA05). I haven't tried removing them to see whether the affect they have is actually hard-coded, but most of the results of falling are hard-coded.
The Gibberlings Three Forums

<SimDing0> Did you know G3 has secret forum rules?
<CamDawg> Yep. They're generally of the nature 'don't annoy Idobek.'

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 07:49:44 AM »
Ah, yeh, the CLAB. I thought I tested it once (by stopping the buttons being disabled on falling), but then I think many things.

Anyway, the theory is that if it works, you re-add all the paladin's abilities via the CLAB, complete with title-change effect.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 08:05:23 AM »
One avenue of exploration Andyr and I were discussing was the IESDP listing for spell opcode 108--it seems to imply that party rep can be overridden with individual rep. So if we could somehow script individual rep (by re-applying a spell to keep it at, say, 12) regardless of party rep, everything would get along fine. We'll try it out and see if it works.

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 08:06:31 AM »
Party rep IS Player1's rep, though. ReputationGT(Player1,12) and all.

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 08:08:02 AM »
Heh, I didn't even think about that before replying, good thing there's this "Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post." message.  This theory would've made sense for trying to give Player2-6 an individual reputation.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 10:39:31 AM »
I did not know there was a Fallen Paladin CLAB.

I might try granting the kit immunity to those 3 spells, then, and the Change Title effect and see what that leaves me with.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 08:02:26 PM »
Well. What I tried in the end was appending this to BALDUR.BCS:

Code: [Select]
IF
FallenPaladin(Player1)
OR(3)
Alignment(Player1,LAWFUL_EVIL)
Alignment(Player1,NEUTRAL_EVIL)
Alignment(Player1,CHAOTIC_EVIL)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
ActionOverride(Player1,RegainPaladinHood())
END

I know to allow for multiplayer mode eventually I'd have to make blocks for players 2 - 6 too but this was for a test. This method works, except:

1. It resets Reputation to 10 every time.
2. Kit abilities are regained on the RegainPaladinHood, so even if you've used your allocations of Poison Weapon or whatever for the day, you'll get it back again.
3. Evil Paladins will Turn Undead rather than Command Undead. Can't seem to do much about that.

I had also tried doing AddKit instead of RegainPaladinHood but this just caused a stutter.

I will next see if giving the kit immunity to the Change Reputation opcode (#108?) stops Falling or not, and if so what affect it has on the rest of the party.

Any other ideas, let me know, else I'll see how it goes...

Cheers for the help thus far. :)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 01:07:28 PM »
Ok, immunity to opcode #108 doesn't stop Falling either.

Offline Lord Kain

• "I was the 500th member on the old forgottenwars forum and all I got was this lousy title"
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 11:50:27 PM »
if you can't be good don't play a paladin!
Now, at last, the masks had fallen away.  The strings of the puppets had become visible, and the hands of the prime mover exposed.  Most ironic of all was the last gift that Raziel had given me, more powerful than the sword that now held his soul, more acute even than the vision his sacrifice had accorded me - the first bitter taste of that terrible illusion:  Hope.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2004, 07:18:32 AM »
I'm thinking about this for a Blackguard kit - if I can base it on a Paladin, it will make things easier for me. :)

Offline Lord Kain

• "I was the 500th member on the old forgottenwars forum and all I got was this lousy title"
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2004, 05:43:53 PM »
All the evil paladin kits in the past used the fighter as the base class.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 05:46:55 PM by Lord Kain »
Now, at last, the masks had fallen away.  The strings of the puppets had become visible, and the hands of the prime mover exposed.  Most ironic of all was the last gift that Raziel had given me, more powerful than the sword that now held his soul, more acute even than the vision his sacrifice had accorded me - the first bitter taste of that terrible illusion:  Hope.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2004, 05:50:36 PM »
I know. I'd rather use the Paladin, though, for spell access and Undead turning ability.

toughluck

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2004, 01:08:35 AM »
if you can't be good don't play a paladin!

Seconded! How's that supposed to be roleplaying if you play a paladin, but with an advance decision to be evil? I doubt one would be able to even become one, as their masters would surely be able to do detect evil at their discretion. If the choice would be based only on how powerful a paladin is/can be, then what kind of roleplaying is it???
Besides, alignment is not the choice of a player, it's rather a result of a player's choice in the manner that how the player behaves, wishes to behave, and will behave, determines their alignment. If you want to act lawful good, and put that on your sheet, a good (in technical sense, not alignment) GM/DM would chastise you if you start off at wrong foot, and your actions are evil right from the start.

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2004, 02:04:49 AM »

i'd consider (once i've glutted myself on mods for a while, at the latest) playing a paladin (prob. cavalier) through soa who fails at least one of the abyss tests (prob. pride) and spends tob in a bitter state until he - redeems himself?  damn, might have to learn how to edit his epilogue before i follow through on that one...  unless bioware actually left an easter-egg in there for Fallen?  doesn't strike me as likely, anyone out there done this before?

and i still support an atonement package for potential future virtue-extension-paks.
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2004, 04:06:15 AM »
Seconded! How's that supposed to be roleplaying if you play a paladin, but with an advance decision to be evil? I doubt one would be able to even become one, as their masters would surely be able to do detect evil at their discretion. If the choice would be based only on how powerful a paladin is/can be, then what kind of roleplaying is it???
Besides, alignment is not the choice of a player, it's rather a result of a player's choice in the manner that how the player behaves, wishes to behave, and will behave, determines their alignment. If you want to act lawful good, and put that on your sheet, a good (in technical sense, not alignment) GM/DM would chastise you if you start off at wrong foot, and your actions are evil right from the start.
You're confusing the game engine with D&D rules.  They're not trying to create a paladin who happens to be evil, rather a completely seperate class which is basically the evil equivalent of a paladin.  He worships an evil god, was trained in an evil temple, etc; he's not just a paladin who's "lost his way" or someone hiding out in the middle of a bunch of goody two-shoes, but someone who's always been evil and was granted his evil knighthood alongside other equally evil people.

The problem is that the BG2 engine doesn't allow the creation of new classes, so it has to be created as a kit for one of the classes that already exists in the game.  If it were a fighter kit, it wouldn't be able to cast spells or turn/command undead; if it were a cleric kit, there would have to be a lot of fiddling around with spell removal via scripting.  The paladin class is the closest thing available.

So it's only a paladin kit in the game engine sense, not the D&D sense.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 04:08:10 AM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2004, 11:13:38 AM »
Exactly what NiGHTMARE said; I want to create a Blackguard, which is an evil counterpart of the Paladin. But I want to use the Paladin's interface as it has the correct hp, save progression, thac0 progression, spell progression... You get the idea. ;)

Offline neriana

• Planewalker
    • Darien NPC for BG2
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2004, 02:52:49 PM »
Have you had any luck with it, by the way, Andyr?
The color of infinity inside an empty glass.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2004, 03:07:57 PM »
No... I am still stuck to making them fall and then un-fall (but this gives them daily uses of abilites back and resets rep to 10).

Also I don't think it's possible to make them Rebuke Undead, only Turn Undead.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: