Author Topic: Call for WeiDU Requests!  (Read 9729 times)

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Call for WeiDU Requests!
« on: August 05, 2004, 05:10:07 PM »
I mentioned this to Jason, but I should probably put the word out here as well -- I'll be leaving on Saturday for a wedding and then a trip to the East Coast -- I'll effectively be gone for a month. Of course, in my incredible laxity I was gone for longer than that before, but hey. :-)

If there's some WeiDU thing you actually want (like a working BUT_ONLY or STRING_COMPARE) let me know shortly and I'll try to get to it before I leave.

Offline Smoketest

• Planewalker
Re: Call for WeiDU Requests!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 06:37:35 PM »
Thanks for the note, since JC isn't the only modder on the planet that uses WeiDU.

I only post here if it's something I actually want, therefore if you got to read my request for mass string replacement in multiple DLG files, that's still something I want. Someone else suggested allowing REPLACE_TRIGGER_TEXT or REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT to use wildcards for filenames. I really don't care how it's done, I'd just like it added as a feature, if you have time. Thanks.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 07:31:10 AM »
I'd still like to see some type of READ/WRITE command that can be of an arbitrary length, i.e. something like READ_ARBITRARY (offset) (number of bytes) (variable). I recall Sim wanting something similar with WRITE where you could WRITE or INSERT bytes from a file for doing operations such as adding animation sequences to BAMs.
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 12:27:52 PM »
I don't specifically need anything like that, but it seemed like being able to write directly from files might help with Icelus' problem appending to mapicons.bam.

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 12:32:08 PM »
I really really want to decompile (and would like to compile) PST scripts.

Offline Loriel

• Planewalker
    • Loriel's Downloads
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 03:20:35 PM »
I'd really like to be able to undo the command line --make-biff X command.  Ideally, I'd like an --un-biff X command that would allow me to specify a bif and eliminate all references to it (and all the contained files) from the chitin.key.  This would allow mods that install biffs to be truly uninstallable.

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 04:09:24 PM »
Turns out we already had (undocumented) REPLACE_TRIGGER_TEXT_REGEXP, but now we have REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT_REGEXP (and PROCESS) as well.

OK, WRITE_FILE and INSERT_FILE added.

PST scripts -- email me all of your examples. More examples == greater chance that I will get it right.

Biffs: Sorry, but I hate them, so getting biff support out of me is like pulling teeth. Convince your friends not to use the --biff command.

Jason may not be the only modder, but he's first in my heart :-).

Look for a new release this evening.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 04:23:09 PM »
If it's not too late, and if it is possible now, then I'd like to request the log file having the mod component titles in them. :)

Will post the link to the thread in a sec...

EDIT: This one. http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=16163.0 :D
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Idobek

• Dust Bunny
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 04:36:09 PM »
I'd like the FORBID_FILE/COMPONENT auto-skipping to only auto-skip if the component was not installed by the current mod. This one is difficult to explain without experiencing it.
The Gibberlings Three Forums

<SimDing0> Did you know G3 has secret forum rules?
<CamDawg> Yep. They're generally of the nature 'don't annoy Idobek.'

Offline Smoketest

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 11:16:37 PM »
Turns out we already had (undocumented) REPLACE_TRIGGER_TEXT_REGEXP, but now we have REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT_REGEXP (and PROCESS) as well.
A-ha, a sneaky undocumented function. Thanks for giving it a complementary function.

Biffs: Sorry, but I hate them, so getting biff support out of me is like pulling teeth. Convince your friends not to use the --biff command.
I'm used to this, as Jon Olav (of NI) seems to dislike Biffs too. This seems to leave me no choice but to write my own editor, at least for Biff management.

Look for a new release this evening.
Again, thanks for the updates. Have a good time in your upcoming endeavors.

Offline Loriel

• Planewalker
    • Loriel's Downloads
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 05:32:48 AM »
Why does everybody seem to hate biffs?  It seems to be a perfectly logical way of organizing game files (unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious to everyone else).

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 05:39:57 PM »
Because they don't lend themselves well to making rapid changes to game files.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Smoketest

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 01:11:42 AM »
Though it might not be good for publicly released mods, a properly written tool would make the BIFF layer transparent, so one would only see the files within and not have to worry about their location.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 09:17:44 PM »
Although we know at the "thousands and thousands of files" level a crowded override can start to affect game performance, the "it's best to have a clean override in case your mother comes over" argument just doesn't seem terribly compelling.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Smoketest

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 07:25:46 PM »
I make permanent changes to the game (bug fixes, dialog and script improvements, etc.), so I like having my work stored within the BIFF archives. That leaves the override folder free for the public mods I might try out, while my own work is safe and secure.

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2004, 04:15:49 PM »
What about making a plugin for Windows/Total commander which handles biff/chitin transparently :)

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »
WeiDU v158 supports PST BAF/BCS files. Someone will have to mail me *.IDS from PST as well as a file that uses [x,y] in a TRIGGER before I can improve it.

Added --remove-biff. Don't use this. Without wasting too much time on this issue, KEY/BIFF is a "good enough" organization system if your game is not going to be patched or modded in situ. Notably, every BIFF file is like a ZIP file without a contents listing. For an example of an approach that's actually fairly logical, take a look at the CrystalSpace VFS layer. For bonus points, explain why it is a strict superset of the KEY/BIFF approach.

You can now override strings like "[Y]es or [N]o or [Q]uit?", but I don't expect much more support in that direction. Optional language-specific README viewing AT_EXIT is also supported.

Idobek, I'm afraid that I can't understand the problem. Can you email me two mods and give me instructions so that I can create a setup where I can actually see the problem myself?

Anyway, hopefully someone can test these features.

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2004, 01:53:55 AM »
Thanks for the pst decompiler, i'll send you failing scripts as i stumble into them.

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 09:04:24 AM »
WeiDU (my local copy) can now decompile and recompile all of the stuff you sent me, and produces equivalent results except for object parameters that include [a,b,c,d] points (which may well be "bugs" or "ignored" in the original scripts). If you want a better handling of those you'll need to send me the NI-decompiled versions as well.

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 05:34:37 PM »
Great :)
Atm, i would use WeiDU only for decompiling, so this should suffice.
I just don't understand where those PST modders were during the years.
WeiDU is definitely better than NI for most scripting work (except a quick browsing).
I wonder how could they live without the patching features (as there are no TC's).

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2004, 05:40:55 PM »
For all this funky PST stuff to be truly useful for something down the road, a VAR.VAR adder is going to be a good idea.

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2004, 06:09:57 PM »
Yep, also if you decompile a dialog/script and find a variable not listed in var.var, you could scream...

Offline Rastor

• Planewalker
  • Author of the book, "Being a Jerk for Dummies"
    • RPG Dungeon
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2004, 08:52:49 PM »
Not sure if it's too long, but I want the ability to add a condition/action to a currently existing script block.

The problem with REPLACE_BCS_BLOCK is that it limits compatibility and won't work unless the scripts on your player's computer are identical to yours (ie, no other mods modify that block).

Want I want is something like ADD_TRIGGER_BLOCK and ADD_ACTION_BLOCK that works with a bcs file.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2004, 09:20:06 PM »
The trouble is that unlike DLG files, which have state numbers, there's no good, ironclad way to refer to a section of BCS code.

Sometimes you can sidestep these types of problems with an EXTEND_TOP to the BCS, taking advantage of the fact that scripts are evaluated top-down.

For instance, if the game has

IF
Somestuff()
Global(SomeFlag,0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
Do(x)
Do(y)
SetGlobal(SomeFlag,1)

and you want to add Do(Z), you can just EXTEND_TOP the following:

IF
Somestuff()
Global(SomeFlag,0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
Do(x)
Do(y)
Do(z)
SetGlobal(SomeFlag,1)

Offline Rastor

• Planewalker
  • Author of the book, "Being a Jerk for Dummies"
    • RPG Dungeon
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2004, 09:27:15 PM »
The trouble is that unlike DLG files, which have state numbers, there's no good, ironclad way to refer to a section of BCS code.

Yeah, I thought of that too and was sort of hoping that someone could figure out a way around it.

Sometimes you can sidestep these types of problems with an EXTEND_TOP to the BCS, taking advantage of the fact that scripts are evaluated top-down.

For instance, if the game has

IF
Somestuff()
Global(SomeFlag,0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
Do(x)
Do(y)
SetGlobal(SomeFlag,1)

and you want to add Do(Z), you can just EXTEND_TOP the following:

IF
Somestuff()
Global(SomeFlag,0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
Do(x)
Do(y)
Do(z)
SetGlobal(SomeFlag,1)

That's how I'm doing it currently, I was just kind of hoping for a cleaner way of making the code.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: