Author Topic: IE resources  (Read 1610 times)

Offline arawn

• Planewalker
IE resources
« on: August 03, 2004, 08:28:18 AM »
Mmm, is there a place where IE engine is explained in not to advanced terms? That gives schematics for errors? Explain global variables etc?

Does Tutu change anything in the BG directory or only BGII?
I asked previously if you couldn't keep your saved games intact and simply reinstall Tutu, Ghreyfain answered that the text strings would most likely be jumbled.
Why? Everything specific to a clean game would be in the save. Why should this change if the game is correctly converted?

Offline Idobek

• Dust Bunny
  • Planewalker
Re: IE resources
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 08:39:17 AM »
Tutu only changes BG2.

Text strings would be jumbled because of the way the conversion works. All text strings in IE games are stored in the dialog.tlk file. Files that require ingame text (dialogues, items, etc) refer to strings from the dialog.tlk. Upon conversion the BG1 strings are appended to the BG2 dialog.tlk. However, these string refs are not fixed. The strings in one install might be appended in a different order in another. So, any string refs stored in a save game could be referring to the wrong string in the dialog.tlk.
The Gibberlings Three Forums

<SimDing0> Did you know G3 has secret forum rules?
<CamDawg> Yep. They're generally of the nature 'don't annoy Idobek.'

Offline arawn

• Planewalker
Re: IE resources
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 09:00:39 AM »
Thank you Idobek I after reading your post seven eight times I think I understand.  :)

However, these string refs are not fixed.

Why not? because it was more work? Risk of interference with the original strings?

How can I gain such knowledge of IE? Only by trial and error with WeiDu modding?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: