Author Topic: Archived Posts - Greyhand  (Read 21720 times)

Offline Barren

• An almighty modder's sidekick!
  • Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
Re: A rant about Greyhand
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2004, 09:34:33 AM »
They're just called Boots, but give a bonus to AC and some other bonuses, while disabling spellcasting and rogue skills.
Quote from: talia brie
Otherwise visit the Ashford City forum and ask the mods, because Barren knows all. Barren is good. Barren is wise.

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2004, 02:42:26 AM »
A Spellhold inmate needn't neccesarily be "magically deviant". He could also be an enemy of Desharik...

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2004, 08:32:38 PM »
BOOT09. No name, funky icon. Can be used by anyone.

Has an ability, with no icon, which can be used at will. It lasts for 20 seconds and does the following:

-  Sets attacks to 0.
-  Gives you an AC bonus of 8. Yes, 8.
-  Save boni - +6 to each.
-  Disables thief skills.
-  Disables stealth.
-  Disables casting, arcane and divine.
-  Plays Oil of Speed visual effect when invoked.

Clearly, this is a powerful defensive item.

I would suggest it be assigned to Greyhand and the following stuff done:

COPY_EXISTING ~boot09.itm~ ~override/boot09.itm~
WRITE_ASCII 0x76 ~CBOOT09~
SAY NAME2 ~Boots of Hastened Departure~
SAY_DESC ~These boots were crafted in ages past by the half - elven Abjurer known as Phenuel the Seer by her (few) friends, and Phenuel the Charlatan by her (many) disgruntled customers. A regular feature in Athkatla, Trademeet, and the other merchantile hubs of Amn, she was a common site peddling her wares; a series of potions designed to do anything from curing warts on various parts of the body to causing the imbiber to fall in love.

Unfortunately, while she was pretty decent at marketing, her skills in the potion -  enchanting department left a lot to be desired and as time wore on she found herself having to skip town more and more often to stay away from angry mobs. Deciding some safeguard to be prudent she crafted these boots, which came in very useful at avoiding the rotten fruits and less savoury missiles which came her way all too frequently.

Phenuel and boots were parted one evening in Nashkel when, after retiring for the evening, customers managed to catch up with her and she was forced to flee through the window in only a nightgown. Unsurprisingly she didn't dare return for the boots and hasn't been seen around much since. Neither had the boots, for that matter, until now...

STATISTICS:

The wearer can activate the power of the boots at will. When used, the ability lasts for 20 seconds. It gives the wearer a bonus of +6 to all saves and +8 to armour class. However, the wearer may not attack, cast spells, use thief skills or stealth while the ability is in effect.

Weight: 3~
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 08:55:09 PM by Andyr »
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2004, 09:28:24 PM »
I still think we should make them unusable by pureclass warrior types, or they'll be overpowered...
Otherwise visit the Ashford City forum and ask the mods, because Barren knows all. Barren is good. Barren is wise.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2004, 10:55:47 PM »
The boots seem rather pointless. How is a sanctuary spell not better?
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2004, 11:15:33 PM »
Because only clerics can cast a Sanctuary, and it expires whenever you attack.

Offline MERLANCE

• Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2004, 01:13:25 AM »
Because only clerics can cast a Sanctuary, and it expires whenever you attack.

Yes, but you can cast some spells. The boots let you cast nothing. you dont even get the option to end the boots voluntarily. Attacking effectively does that with sanctuary.

I say go with the boots, restored items are always cool.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2004, 11:54:11 AM »
I still think we should make them unusable by pureclass warrior types, or they'll be overpowered...

How are they overpowered for a warrior? They stop you from attacking...

Cam: They are not too useful, but since they're there, I think Greyhand is as good a place for any as them.

As a sidenote, Cam, Ice and I were discussing this on IRC last night and thought it might be nice to make Greyhand into a Cleric, and have him have the boots, and cast Armour of Faith and Spiritual Weapon. Reading through his dialogue implies he likes being in the Asylum and sees it as being helpful. There is no indication he is an arcane caster, and a Cleric batlle is more interesting than a Fighter one.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2004, 12:25:54 PM »
Ah, didn't notice the "sets attacks to 0" bit when I looked into it. Guess I should have read your post after all, eh?  ;)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2004, 12:59:13 PM »
Yup, the ability is useless except for if you want to make an epedious retreat. ;) Remember it's not an Equipping effect, it is an item ability.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2004, 05:57:00 PM »
OK, how about a comprimise?  The changes to Greyhand's .cre file will be implemented, *except* for the boots.  The boots will become part of the Restored Items component, so if someone wants to have the Greyhand encounter without the boots, then they'll be able to do so.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2004, 06:45:42 PM »
Hey, I like the idea of that (as long as Restored Items put the boots on Greyhand...)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2004, 07:19:33 PM »
Yes, that is the idea.

Offline Caswallon

• Telvanni Archmagister
  • Planewalker
    • BG Forum
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2004, 08:37:13 PM »
Hmm, I don't think that every item has to be always useful to the player when it fits the character who's wearing it, so I see no reason not to put it on Greyhand...

...but doing so in Restored Items is fine, too. :)
Man's Mystery
Man is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss.
This lies beyond our comprehension - why do you not despair?
--Spirit of the Daedra--

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2004, 09:06:03 PM »
whatever :)  :pirate

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2004, 04:12:14 PM »
OK, Greyhand is now a level 11 cleric wielding a club, and should cast Armor of Faith, Spiritual Hammer, and Draw Upon Holy Might before battle.  If you also install the Restored Items component, he will be wearing the Boots of Hastened Departure.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: