Author Topic: comments on "Into the Pit"  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Pirengle

• Spoony Bard
  • Planewalker
  • Why do people always steal my taglines? WHY?!
    • Pirengle's Soundsets
comments on "Into the Pit"
« on: August 03, 2004, 11:57:00 PM »
I like this piece. It has flavors of Fight Club and First Blood and fits well in the Underdark setting. This is a piece that works well on its own but I'd love it if you wrote more. (Do they have a 6th party member? There's Crispin, Marek, Aerie, Jaheira, Anomen, and a sixth maybe?)

I only have one nitpick, and it's minor.

“I’m having trouble enough with Aerie.  She can’t seem to get it in her head that we’re supposed to act like drow as well as look like drow.”  Crispin didn’t miss the flicker of emotion that passed over Marek’s face at his mention of Aerie.  His guess was on the mark.  “Though, she’s a piece of ass.”

Crispin's speaking, right? (BTW, I like how the dialogue infers that Marek has the hots for Aerie but there's nothing really serious between them yet. Nicely done!)
I've given up on the light of good.

Offline Kirwond

• Planewalker
  • Attila the Hun with a cinnamon bun
Re: comments on "Into the Pit"
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 06:00:51 PM »
I enjoyed this piece very much. The grim tone went beautifully with the setting, and it's always a pleasure to see an unusual character fleshed out. I know you'd like this piece to be brief, but I would love to see more of Marek!

There was one spot that stopped me.

Marek shrugged off Crispin's hand and pulled his tunic over his head before answering.  He seemed smaller clothed.  Marek was silent so long that Crispin was afraid he’d pushed Marek into his dark place that took him days to climb out of.  Crispin always feared that one time he wouldn’t come back.  Crispin debated whether to leave him alone when Marek spoke. 

Marek shrugging Crispin's hand off before answering and Marek being silent so long seemed at odds with each other, perhaps because having answering before silence implies that he talked and then was silent, when it's the other way around. And then there's the last sentence, which has Marek again about to speak. Also, I wished that this bit had been separated out from Marek's actual speech.

Just my opinion, of course, and it really didn't detract too much from the piece.  :)
"Yes, I remember Avalon," he said, "a place of silver and shade and cool waters, where the stars shone like bonfires at night and the green of day was always the green of spring. Youth, love, beauty--I knew them in Avalon. Proud steeds, bright metal, soft lips, dark ale."
--Roger Zelazny

Offline Perdita

• Lost
  • Planewalker
Re: comments on "Into the Pit"
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 01:05:12 AM »
I like this piece. It has flavors of Fight Club and First Blood and fits well in the Underdark setting. This is a piece that works well on its own but I'd love it if you wrote more. (Do they have a 6th party member? There's Crispin, Marek, Aerie, Jaheira, Anomen, and a sixth maybe?)

I hadn't really thought about it, thinking that there might be only five of them, but I guess it would have to be Imoen, since they're still on the way back from her rescue, and Crispin isn't the sort to make her get home on her own.

I only have one nitpick, and it's minor.

“I’m having trouble enough with Aerie.  She can’t seem to get it in her head that we’re supposed to act like drow as well as look like drow.”  Crispin didn’t miss the flicker of emotion that passed over Marek’s face at his mention of Aerie.  His guess was on the mark.  “Though, she’s a piece of ass.”

Crispin's speaking, right? (BTW, I like how the dialogue infers that Marek has the hots for Aerie but there's nothing really serious between them yet. Nicely done!)

Yes, that's Crispin speaking, but you're right, there's a problem.  I think the comment isn't in Crispin's voice; I'll have to tweak it.

There was one spot that stopped me.

Marek shrugged off Crispin's hand and pulled his tunic over his head before answering.  He seemed smaller clothed.  Marek was silent so long that Crispin was afraid he’d pushed Marek into his dark place that took him days to climb out of.  Crispin always feared that one time he wouldn’t come back.  Crispin debated whether to leave him alone when Marek spoke. 

Marek shrugging Crispin's hand off before answering and Marek being silent so long seemed at odds with each other, perhaps because having answering before silence implies that he talked and then was silent, when it's the other way around. And then there's the last sentence, which has Marek again about to speak. Also, I wished that this bit had been separated out from Marek's actual speech.

Just my opinion, of course, and it really didn't detract too much from the piece.  :)

Yes, that is awkward.  Thanks for identifying it; I'll try to mend it.

I enjoyed this piece very much. The grim tone went beautifully with the setting, and it's always a pleasure to see an unusual character fleshed out. I know you'd like this piece to be brief, but I would love to see more of Marek!

I don't have any plans to write more Marek stories, but if I can conquer that not-enough-time monster, you may see him again as an NPC.

Thanks Pirengle and Kirwond for all your comments.  If you want to see more, I guess Marek passes the test.   :)

Cyn
Ever wonder what an impulsive bard would do if she feared her boyfriend Anomen were turning back into a vampire?  No?  Well, read my new fanfic, Life During Wartime, and find out anyway.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: