Author Topic: Thieving Skills  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Diana

• Neophyte
  • Planewalker
Thieving Skills
« on: July 24, 2004, 03:42:01 PM »
Is it possible to script a failed shoplifting attempt without the shopkeeper going ballistic?  I don't think so from what Ive tried and attempted with my thief in the official bioware scripts.  In most instances you get the "you've been noticed and the guards are being called".

Offline Smoketest

• Planewalker
Re: Thieving Skills
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 10:52:39 PM »
In order for you to be able to steal from a shop, the STOre file's "Can Steal" flag has to be set. The game is hardcoded to allow thievery when this flag is set, and passes control to a script, as Sim pointed out.

The other form of shoplifting, that is controlled by script, is when you try to steal from a container that has the trap flag set and a script associated with the trap. StealFailed(O:Object) is the trigger used. Bioware's scripts check to see if the thief was invisible at the time the steal failed and, if not, summons guards. You'd have to edit those scripts if you want better control of the situation.

That's all I can think of atm. I'll admit this isn't an area I've played with very much.

Edit: updated info a bit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 05:55:20 PM by Smoketest »

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Re: Thieving Skills
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 03:41:16 AM »
stealamn.bcs and steal25.bcs don't have anything to do with stealing from shopkeepers?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: