Miscellany, Inc. > Mod Discussion and Announcements

Mod banner rotation now available on PPG

(1/14) > >>

jcompton:
It seemed like a shame to let all the hard work Bons and Icelus did on the PPG banner logos go to waste.

So with the tremendous contributions of the mysterious but wonderfully helpful and competent SECRET ADMIN, PPG now has a banner rotation. At present it runs on the main site's left-hand pane, as well as in the upper right-hand of the main forum template (which roughly 97% of users see... if the other templates start getting lots of use, I'll add the banner to them as well.)

Since so many of these were already made for the TBG banner rotation, I'm keeping most of the specs the same, but please read:

- Dimensions: 150x80
- Size: No more than 50K* **
- Format: Still JPG/PNG/GIF, or animated GIF
- I reserve the right to reject banners for mods-in-progress if they appear no more credible than Godspawn.

Please send your submissions to jcompton@pocketplane.net . Please provide the destination URL, the filename, and a brief alt-text line (the thing that shows up if the image doesn't load, or someone checks the image properties) exactly as follows. Note the use of the | (pipe) character.

--- Code: ---http://my.url.com|logoname.gif|A new mod by me

--- End code ---

* - Yeah, we have some that are bigger, but I've asked that they get slimmed down. Big banners are slow for dialup users and gnaw bandwidth something fierce.

** - Yeah, I know I already pared it down once. So sue me. Big banners are like a double-whammy, because they take longer and more BW to download, and by virtue of being larger they're more likely to fill up a user's image cache more quickly, forcing them to be downloaded AGAIN. If your banner is already in the rotation and significantly above 50K, don't be too surprised if I ask you to change it at some point.

Cybersquirt:
but for us dial-up scourge, could the size be reduced a bit more?  :-\

jcompton:
See that, people? Aim for banners even smaller, or you'll make Cybersquirt cry.

jester:
Dial-up will die anyway though I would not want to see Cybersquirt cry. I like the banners. They are nice and not as annoying as I thought at first from the description. Flashing stuff on sites should be at a minimum IMHO. They are a bit to fast though. Are they made in Flash?

jcompton:
No, just animated GIFs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version