Author Topic: IRON MODDER 5: SEPTEMBER 19 (buildup)  (Read 10116 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
IRON MODDER 5: SEPTEMBER 19 (buildup)
« on: July 19, 2004, 09:24:36 PM »
The next Iron Modder will be held SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 19, 2004 commencing at 12 noon Central US time (6 PM UK, 7 PM Europe, 10 AM Pacific US, 1 PM Eastern US.) Mark your calendars.

For those of you new to the Iron Modder concept, here's how it works:

The TV show Iron Chef depicts world-class chefs in an hour-long battle of wits and will at Kitchen Stadium. At the top of the hour, an insane overlord announces a secret theme ingredient, around which the Iron Chefs must design and prepare a multi-course meal.

Things are very similar in Infinity Stadium.

- I am the insane overlord.

- At an appointed time, I announce a secret theme for a mod. (Past Iron Modder themes: "A Broken Promise," "A Kiss Before Dying", "Some of My Best Friends Are Slimes" and "The Last Mug of Ale In Amn.")

- Iron Modders have four hours to design, prepare, and submit a functioning mod that exhibits the theme.

- Iron Mods are judged by an arbitrarily assembled panel on a 25 point scale:

EXposition of the Theme (1-10)
Originality (1-5)
Innovation (1-5)
ENtertainment (1-5)

- Entries are only credited to one author, although it is permitted to work with anonymous sous-chefs.

- Entries may contain prefabricated content, for instance pieces of another mod the modder is working on, or the use of community AI scripting, if that content is disclosed to the judges. It has been my observation that the use of prefab content has very little positive impact on scoring, however.

- It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that Iron Modders allocate a block of time for testing before the 4-hour period expires.

- The winner earns the right to be known as IRON MODDER!

Bons claimed the Iron Modder crown all to herself in Iron Modder 4 in an undisputed, repeat victory. Do you have what it takes to dethrone her?

ALLEZ MODDING!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 12:30:02 PM by jcompton »
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
  • I still like Neighbours
Re: IRON MODDER 5: SEPTEMBER 19
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 02:21:33 AM »
I just saw the IM5 banner, which says that the competition is on the 17th of September. Has the date changed? If it has, I can actually enter this one! ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 09:11:05 AM by jcompton »

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 09:08:45 AM »
Argh. No, that would be a mistake. It really is the 19th.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 09:10:52 AM by jcompton »
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 10:04:07 AM »
Incidentally, I'm instituting a slight rule change to avoid the tie we had in IM3. I simply cannot stomach two Iron Modders fawning over how wonderful the other is. :)

If two modders tie for top overall score, individual category scoring will be used as a tiebreaker, in this sequence:

Exposition
Originality
Entertainment
Innovation

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 03:41:35 PM »
I simply cannot stomach two Iron Modders fawning over how wonderful the other is. :)

Watchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
  • I still like Neighbours
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 04:22:09 PM »
Oh well. :(

(BTW, both banners I've seen have the 17th written down.)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 04:50:01 PM »
Yeah, I know, I removed them. Pirengle fixed one, I'm waiting for her to re-fix the other.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 06:48:04 PM »
Incidentally, I'm instituting a slight rule change to avoid the tie we had in IM3. I simply cannot stomach two Iron Modders fawning over how wonderful the other is. :)

But... but... Icelus IS wonderful!!
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 05:01:59 PM »
Iron Modder is old news. I propose... Molybdenum Moddar!
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 02:14:59 PM »
Iron Modder is old news. I propose... Molybdenum Moddar!

I was going to suggest Buckyballs Modder, then I realized my skills at unfortunate acronyms were at work again. :)

Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2004, 11:40:27 AM »
Heheh.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2004, 02:16:35 PM »

If two modders tie for top overall score, individual category scoring will be used as a tiebreaker, in this sequence:

Exposition
Originality
Entertainment
Innovation

Then paper-scissors-stone, right?
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline neriana

• Planewalker
    • Darien NPC for BG2
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 05:00:10 PM »
The color of infinity inside an empty glass.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 07:52:53 PM »
Shiver me timbers!  :pirate

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 07:59:36 PM »
Rah!  (http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16427.0;id=145)
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2004, 03:54:24 AM »
I'm sorry, but with that sort of attitude, you'll never make a pirate.  Here's a tip:

Rah = cheerleader.  Rah rah rah, sis boom bah, let's... uh, win, or something.

ARRRRR = pirate.  Get the booty.  Sink the spanish galleon.  Mission accomplished.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2004, 10:43:06 AM »
I'm sorry, but with that sort of attitude, you'll never make a pirate.  Here's a tip:

Rah = cheerleader.  Rah rah rah, sis boom bah, let's... uh, win, or something.

ARRRRR = pirate.  Get the booty.  Sink the spanish galleon.  Mission accomplished.

Right, Icelus may not make a pirate with the rah-rahs, but he's likely to get more booty surrounding himself with the cheerleaders. There's logic there. Bouncy, pom-pom-wielding logic.  ;)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2004, 11:49:07 AM »
That's my favourite sort. :)

Offline SConrad

• Spellhold Director
  • Planewalker
  • WeiDU (ab)user
    • Spellhold Studios
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2004, 06:25:31 PM »
I can now deny the vicious rumours stating that I will not participate in Iron Modder 5.

Those rumours are untrue and unjustified in all kinds of ways. I resent all knowledge of them.

Oh, I'll win too. Did I mention that?  :P
sconrad.net

jcompton: "When did the switch flip in your brain that made this make sense to you?"

Spellhold Studios - Where the switch flipped in our brains that made things make sense!

Offline SimDing0â„¢

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2004, 06:32:59 PM »
wait theis is tomrowwow????????

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2004, 06:50:06 PM »
Hmm, well, I can't deny the fact that cheerleaders probably have better dental hygiene than pirates, among other things, but I CAN deny their total lack of hook hands, eyepatches, and other stylish fashion accessories.

Another fact that's in denial is Sim and Conrad's chance at victory.  I'm fresh and well-rested and will destroy you all.

I hope.  :pirate
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2004, 07:41:12 PM »
Another fact that's in denial is Sim and Conrad's chance at victory.  I'm fresh and well-rested and will destroy you all.

I hope.  :pirate

Plus you have Pirate Day mojo on your side!  :'(  Why is there no Llama Day?? (http://bons.50megs.com/llamasmiley.gif) No Coffee holiday?? (http://bons.50megs.com/coffeecup.gif) No International Day of Juice!!??  (http://bons.50megs.com/juice.gif) How am I supposed to compete under these conditions?!?!?!?!

(I'm calm in the face of competition. Really.  :-yin )

Offline St. Josephine

• PPG
  • Planewalker
  • The Patron Saint of Mediocrity
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2004, 08:08:11 PM »
Bah!  You don't hear Kismet complaining because it's not National Accountant's Day!   :P
Cailean: An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!

Despite his heartthrob status in real life, Orlando Bloom has consistently functioned as a node of negative energy onscreen, sucking the life force out of all who surround him. --Dana Stevens, Slate.com

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2004, 08:28:50 PM »
That's because I'm a whiny-baby modder, St. Jo.

Kismet is made of tougher stuff! Teflon and steel and Ford trucks! She's survived auditing!

Wait, there's an Accountant's Day? Kismet has her very own day?? (http://bons.50megs.com/calculator.gif)  *sobs bitter jealous tears*

Offline St. Josephine

• PPG
  • Planewalker
  • The Patron Saint of Mediocrity
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2004, 08:41:32 PM »
Heh, you're talking to the biggest fraidy-cat in the world!  There will never be an Iron Saint (ooh, although I do like the sound of that!  Sounds like some extremely painful Medieval torture device!)

Accountant's Day is a day that strikes terror in the hearts of the rest of us... April 15th.  :P
Cailean: An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!

Despite his heartthrob status in real life, Orlando Bloom has consistently functioned as a node of negative energy onscreen, sucking the life force out of all who surround him. --Dana Stevens, Slate.com