Author Topic: Documentation  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Quitch

• Perfection
  • Planewalker
  • Making the world a better place for evil
Documentation
« on: July 18, 2004, 02:37:54 PM »
I'm having some real fun with BG1Tutu right now.  I read the install guide and the entire readme, but then just as I thought I understood everything, JC reverses everything I understand the docs to be saying.  I think the docs are making some rather false assumptions about the way peoples minds work.

Firstly, I install BG, ToTSC and the patch.  I then install BG2, ToB and the patch.  So far so good.

Now, I decide Indira looks like an interesting NPC, I'll install her.  Download the ZIP.  Hmmm, easy enough, she's a BG NPC and the doc tells me to install BG mods first, so off I go, extract her and install... WHOOPS!  WRONG!  According to JC's instructions I just messed up, the converter needs to be run then I install this mod!!!

Well, no one who hasn't followed the forums is going to do this in a million years.  The readme itself tells them not to in its note regarding BG1 mods.  Now, the only way this makes sense is if in the mind of the author, Indira is not a BG1 mod, but a Tutu mod.  Well, that's the authors mistake because that's not what I'd think, and that's not what most people will think.  She affects BG1, she's a BG1 mod.  If there are exceptions to this rule, the circumstances of the exceptions need documenting.

And where do these startup screens go?  They're offered to me, and I'm told nothing beyond "here they are!"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 03:01:44 PM by Quitch »
Past: Ascension
Present: Return to Windspear
Future: Imoen Relationship
"Perfection has no deadline"

Offline Daggerless

• Planewalker
Re: Documentation
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 12:13:56 AM »
As I found out the hard way, some mods are "tutu" mods while others are "BG1" mods.  Install "BG1" mods before the conversion and "tutu" mods after the conversion.  It is very confusing, especially when certain mods have no such documentation.

Maybe something in my topic about this will help you:

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=15939.0

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: