Author Topic: In Game Non-NPC Portrait Assignment  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Diana

• Neophyte
  • Planewalker
In Game Non-NPC Portrait Assignment
« on: July 02, 2004, 03:54:13 PM »
Kismet kindly helped me out not too long ago with the code via the .tp2 file to assign a death variable to a non npc which had it set to "None".  I thought the following code would work if I copied the bitmap to override and added this to the .tp2 script.  Unfortunately it doesn't.  I know someone did this with the improved Mae'Var but I don't have that mod loaded.

This is what I'm doing via the .tp2

COPY_EXISTING ~trgyp02.cre~ ~override~
WRITE_ASCII 0x34 ~NewGypoz~ // bitmap for the 38x60 small portait

The trgyp02.cre shows up in the override folder.  When I look at it in DLTCEP (spelling?) I see the small portait assigned but it doesn't appear in-game.  Suggestions, please and thanks.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
Re: In Game Non-NPC Portrait Assignment
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 04:30:02 PM »
I could be wrong, but I believe you have to include the file extension, i.e. ~newgypoz.bmp~
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 04:42:27 PM »
I'll bet that the CRE already exists in your saved game. Might also need to clear your BG2 cache directory. Do that, and try with a game where that CRE has never been created.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Diana

• Neophyte
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 04:46:00 PM »
I'll bet that the CRE already exists in your saved game. Might also need to clear your BG2 cache directory.
You're right 'cause I tried it with the full filename and no joy.  I think Kismet also warned me that I must not have entered the "Area" where the creature exists.  Anyhow - I'll clear the cache.  If that doesn't work,  the fact that DLCTEP is picking it up properly means I must have coded the .tp2 correctly and  I'll probably see it on my next pass on debugging when I start a new game.

Thanks all.

Note:  Just tried it after clearing the cache.  Doesn't work and I don't have a save game before I entered Trademeet.  Kismet then is right -- can't do re-assignment after you enter the area.

Further Note:  Started a new game since I have a  portrait modification done in Chapter 1 - coding works so Kismet is definitely right - can't do reassignment via the .tp2 after you've entered a particular area even if you flush the cache.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 07:36:09 PM by Diana »

Offline Cuv

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 02:10:19 PM »
Your bmp file name has too many characters:)   Rename it with seven only:)

Cuv

Offline Diana

• Neophyte
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »
I orignially tried it with 4-5 characters in the filename, i.e. Renal1.bmp with "Renal1" beign assigned via the WRITE_ASCII command  and still had the problem.  But if I start a new game all portraits are re-assigned properly.  Must be a limitation of the engine.  As I am debugging and trying new things this doesn't bother me as I don't expect be making in-game changes on the fly at a later date. :D

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: