Author Topic: Comments on "Many Waters"  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Moreina

• Planewalker
Comments on "Many Waters"
« on: June 21, 2004, 01:09:40 PM »
Ajnos:
     Happy to see you're back.
     I liked this. The present-tense, third-person perspective provides a refreshing break from the usual. I also liked that there was a definite ending and the idea that the statues might still be there after fifteen years, freezing <Charname> the way she was before she became a goddess. It is also a nice touch that the reader knows that she chose godhood over mortality without being told specifically.

Offline Perdita

• Lost
  • Planewalker
Re: Comments on "Many Waters"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 05:23:04 PM »
It is just so sad.   :'(   How can you compete with a Goddess, or, worse yet, the unchanging perfect memory of a Goddess?

Well done.
Ever wonder what an impulsive bard would do if she feared her boyfriend Anomen were turning back into a vampire?  No?  Well, read my new fanfic, Life During Wartime, and find out anyway.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 06:02:14 PM »
I liked it before, still like it.

It is just so sad.   :'(   How can you compete with a Goddess, or, worse yet, the unchanging perfect memory of a Goddess?

It does throw into sharp relief something that's been mentioned to me before: Virtually without exception, stories that deal with Kelsey after TOB portray him as less-than-happy.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Ajnos

• Reticent
  • Planewalker
  • facilis descensus Averno
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 11:54:44 PM »
Ajnos:
     Happy to see you're back.
     I liked this. The present-tense, third-person perspective provides a refreshing break from the usual. I also liked that there was a definite ending and the idea that the statues might still be there after fifteen years, freezing <Charname> the way she was before she became a goddess. It is also a nice touch that the reader knows that she chose godhood over mortality without being told specifically.

Thanks, glad to be back.  I did struggle with keeping the tense straight so I'm glad it didn't seem forced. 

Well done.

Thank you.  It is sad and Charname has to be the worst ex ever...  I blame the epilogues though, Jason is the one who matched him up with Busya.

I liked it before, still like it.

It does throw into sharp relief something that's been mentioned to me before: Virtually without exception, stories that deal with Kelsey after TOB portray him as less-than-happy.

Thanks.  ...  Actually, Half-Empty was my Kelsey-happily-ever-after story.

There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 12:01:32 AM »
Actually, Half-Empty was my Kelsey-happily-ever-after story.

Yeah, I think that was the point. That's about as good as it gets. :)
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Ajnos

• Reticent
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 12:11:56 AM »
Actually, Half-Empty was my Kelsey-happily-ever-after story.

Yeah, I think that was the point. That's about as good as it gets. :)

Hmph.  Yeah, but Kirwond had a story about him and the allergic ranger, it was happy and it might have even been after ToB.  They do exist, besides I still maintain you started it.  :)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 01:47:54 AM »
Yeah, BG2 Redux has been mentioned as the major exception, but given its tone we weren't led to expect anything too horrible.

And, yeah, I realize that I started it. :)

Offline Ajnos

• Reticent
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 04:08:29 AM »
Yeah, BG2 Redux has been mentioned as the major exception, but given its tone we weren't led to expect anything too horrible.

And, yeah, I realize that I started it. :)

Hm.  Not that one I meant When Forests Attack...the one with all the rabbits and the sneezing.  Happy Endings abounded.  :) 

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
  • I still like Neighbours
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 07:57:20 AM »
I remember commenting on this when you first posted it and being put off by the tense, but now I realise I was just nitpicking  :-[
It's perfect.  :)

And Jason, Kelsey had a gooey happy ending with Imoen and Kimoen (the baby) in my it-never-quite-got-to-the-point-or-in-fact-,-climax "An Absolute Waste of Time"  ;D

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 09:18:35 AM »
Ah, I'd forgotten that one, beg pardon. :)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 09:27:39 AM »
Oh. And that seems to not be here. Can you fix that, Cliffette?

Domi

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 05:20:42 PM »
Oh. And that seems to not be here. Can you fix that, Cliffette?

And with the next chapter to boot? Please?

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 06:35:36 PM »
IIt does throw into sharp relief something that's been mentioned to me before: Virtually without exception, stories that deal with Kelsey after TOB portray him as less-than-happy.

An elaboration on the happily-ever-after story is over before it begins, and it's easier to write a story with some kind of dramatic tension when there's conflict. There's still the possibility to wring a plot from a happier union, but I don't think it's nearly as compelling a subject.

As for this story, the melancholy note it hits is perfect. There's really little else to say.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: