Author Topic: Why is Area Creation Fraught with Hassle? *Sigh*  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Rabain

• Planewalker
  • Luck o' the Irish!
Why is Area Creation Fraught with Hassle? *Sigh*
« on: June 18, 2004, 06:59:07 AM »

Hi All,

So i have all of the dialogue, coding, creatures, items etc done for a small quest/adventure beneath Athkatla and then when i finish editing the few new areas i was adding i pack the tis files up with tispack, reinstall BG2 so i can see how the mod installs and when i unpack everthing only two of the 6 areas will actually load in the game!  The tp2 installs fine, no errors.  All .are, .tis, .wed etc are copied also.

Gah!  I had problems with area editing but had all the areas working fine and now this!  Why oh why is area editing/creation such a pain? 

Okay so i guess i should get to a proper question now:  Anybody got any tips/tricks to avoid nerfing new areas?

I have all the search areas etc done, checked everything i can think of.  Anyone know the most common problem whenthis happens, the loading screen appears when you transition is acitvated but the game just crashes and i can see no difference between the areas that do work and the ones that don't.

I think i will call this mod: Frustation Incorporated.   :-\

Tia

Rabain
Touchstone: Wild Elf Fighter
BG2CPM: Dialog Portraits for Everyone!
WTPFamiliars: A new version of the Find Familiar Spell
All at: Border Kingdoms

Offline Kismet

• Devil's Minion #5
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Veni; Vidi; Velcro.
    • Pocket Plane Group
Re: Why is Area Creation Fraught with Hassle? *Sigh*
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 07:13:09 AM »
I've caused my game to crash by not having the ambient sounds for a new area in the override directory.  I've also crashed an area by sticking a faulty item into it.
Cailean - An archer NPC for the insatiably nosy!  Guaranteed more fun than shampooing cats!

Offline Rabain

• Planewalker
  • Luck o' the Irish!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 07:53:47 AM »
Thanks Kismet,

I recall reading somewhere in a thread about ambients in area files, do the ambients have to be in the override too or was it to do with the songs for an area.

How would i get the tp2 to move the files to the override?  Do i just use Copy Existing?

Thanks again for the quick response.

Rabain
Touchstone: Wild Elf Fighter
BG2CPM: Dialog Portraits for Everyone!
WTPFamiliars: A new version of the Find Familiar Spell
All at: Border Kingdoms

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 12:09:36 PM »
If the ambient sounds exist in the game already, that should be fine.  But if there's a reference for an item/creature/ambient sound/animation in your area, only it's not in an accessible biff or the override folder, the area'll crash.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline hlidskialf

• Owner of the first chair with an ale-fridge
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 03:53:38 PM »
One other thing to check siince you're using TisUnpack to install the areas make sure you haven't copied someone's code that uses the -h option. This stripps the header from the .tis file that is required for areas in the override folder. (Removing the header is necassary if you're biffing the .tis files.)
Unknown to most, hlidskialf is the first incarnation of the eternal warrior with a beer fridge in his chair.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: