Author Topic: True need of two installations!  (Read 30453 times)

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
Re: True need of two installations!
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2005, 09:08:01 PM »
Oh, I see.

Edit: Okay, here's some sort of tried-and-true method for getting two installs.  http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=17582.msg237535#msg237535
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 09:10:39 PM by Ghreyfain »
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2005, 09:13:44 PM »
Thanks, I already printed that out.

<goes quietly away and starts again, with BG as well this time>
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 09:18:16 PM by Silk »
"Some say that our destinies may be read in the stars, that the plans of the gods are revealed to those who but know where to look.  They speak it true but their location is false, for I have seen my destiny shining in your eyes" (Anomen, PPG NPC Flirt Pack)

"You know you're tired when you get up from the desk and the headset's still around your neck"

Offline Hendryk

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2005, 09:18:40 PM »
Your original install is the one your computer knows about.  That matters only if you want to run games from the copied folder.  Then, you have to look at which EXE you are using to start BG2, Baldur.exe or BGMain.exe.  Baldur.exe, no matter whether you run it from the original install or the copy, looks at your computer's system files, finds where the original installation is and runs the game from the original folder.

BGMain.exe looks for the Baldur.ini file in the same place as itself.  If you've changed the pathname in Baldur.ini, BGMain.exe will let you run a game strictly from within the copied folder.  So the first thing you have to do is make certain that the shortcut on your desktop is set for BGMain.exe, rather than Baldur.exe.  Then you need to look in the copy of Baldur.ini and make sure the pathnames noted in the setup instructions are set to the copied folder.  OK so far?

Mods, Weidu mods at least, install in the game folder where you unpack them.  So uninstall DBG from your original install, install it in the copy, then doulde-click on BGMain.exe in the copy folder.  You should see the saved game you just created but should see Jasper normally in a new game.  Good luck.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2005, 09:20:19 PM »
Ah, good thinking.  I hope it's the baldur.exe vs. bgmain.exe issue.  baldur.exe looks at the registry to find out where BG is installed, and that'll default to the first spot it was installed.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2005, 09:27:01 PM »
Ah, hadn't thought of that, Thanks, Hendryk.
"Some say that our destinies may be read in the stars, that the plans of the gods are revealed to those who but know where to look.  They speak it true but their location is false, for I have seen my destiny shining in your eyes" (Anomen, PPG NPC Flirt Pack)

"You know you're tired when you get up from the desk and the headset's still around your neck"

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 05:39:09 AM »
Oh, my.

I wish I'd read this before I started mucking around installations. No wonder my BG2 file no longer works.

Well, I've got tutu installed in its own directory already, so it looks like I'm going to have to do that hated uninstall/reinstall for BG2.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: