Author Topic: ADD_GAM_NPC and uninstallation, non-functionality of  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
ADD_GAM_NPC and uninstallation, non-functionality of
« on: June 14, 2004, 11:11:43 PM »
I know that it was japheth that coded the ADD_GAM_NPC function, so perhaps I'll e-mail him about this, too, but I might as well post it here, too.

When re-/un-installing an NPC mod for BG1, it leaves the references in baldur.gam and all the saved game .gam files, this making the game crash if the NPC is uninstalled, or appear multiple times if installed.

Is there something I'm missing?

Can it be fixed in a new version of WeiDU?

Is there a manual work-around?
What I've tried doing in regards to this is a C_E of baldur.gam to override, so that upon re-installation, it restores the file, but I can't do it with the saved game folders--or at least can't figure out how.  If neither the first nor the second question can be answered, then I need a way to copy a folder whose name I don't know.  COPY ~save~ ~override/savebackup~ doesn't work, nor does the same thing with C_E.

Any thoughts?
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Red Carnelian

• Planewalker
Re: ADD_GAM_NPC and uninstallation, non-functionality of
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 07:06:04 PM »
I've been having problems with this function for Dark Side. Did you make any progress with it. Ive found testing a BG1 game to be quite hazzardous if your're unaware of the strange effects this function can cause like 2 NPC's cropping up if you re-install. I also think changing an NPC's scripts can also affect things like dissapearing green circles. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm thinking of building on the DS Mod. :)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: ADD_GAM_NPC and uninstallation, non-functionality of
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 11:16:45 PM »
No, you can pretty well lump this command under the "don't use" category. It's one of the reasons NPC modding for BG1 has basically all focused on Tutu--avoiding this sort of problem.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: