Author Topic: Drenden Shale aiding Jaheira  (Read 7853 times)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Drenden Shale aiding Jaheira
« on: June 06, 2004, 10:01:00 AM »
OK, now that we've clarified things a bit, we can look into this further.  This is the dialog file drenden.dlg (extracted by WeiDU using the --transitive command):

WARNING: THIS --TRANSITIVE D FILE MAY CONTAIN STATES FROM MANY DLG FILES AND SHOULD NOT BE COMPILED!
BEGIN ~DRENDEN~

IF ~False()~ THEN BEGIN 0
  SAY ~Jaheira is in dire straits. We have calmed her fevers, but she will die if not released from this spell.  This curse was fashioned specifically for her.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~How could it have affected her so quickly and totally?~ GOTO 1
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Why have you not been able to remove it? Surely there are Druids of sufficient experience to deal with this?~ GOTO 2
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Thank you for keeping her safe. I will do what I can to find the person who cursed her.~ GOTO 3
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Well, if she is safe in your care I have plenty of time to find the one who inflicted this curse upon her.~ GOTO 4
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 1
  SAY ~The caster must have a personal item of hers.  The caster could remove the spell, or killing him might work.  Perhaps even retrieving the item would help.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 2
  SAY ~Some personal item of hers was used in the casting... the spell is specific to Jaheira.  It will only end if the caster removes it, or if her item is returned.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 3
  SAY ~Hurry.  The spell is meant to kill only Jaheira... a personal item was used in the casting. Only recovering it, or the caster himself, may end this.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 4
  SAY ~Delay and she dies.  Some personal item of hers was used to cast this.  If this item were restored the spell might fade... or the caster could end it, himself.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~False()~ THEN BEGIN 5
  SAY ~Hurry. Jaheira has not much time left.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~False()~ THEN BEGIN 6
  SAY ~Jaheira? Child, are you here for ascension rites? I was not aware your time had arrived yet, and I... What is wrong, you look pale?~
  IF ~~ THEN EXTERN ~JAHEIRAJ~ 88
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN JAHEIRAJ 88
  SAY ~Drenden, I... I am dying.~
  IF ~~ THEN GOTO 7
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 7
  SAY ~Say nothing more. You will come and be administered to immediately! No discussions, I know how obstinate you can be.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXTERN ~JAHEIRAJ~ 89
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN JAHEIRAJ 89
  SAY ~No arguments from... from me.~
  IF ~~ THEN GOTO 8
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 8
  SAY ~No arguments? My dear, you must be on your very deathbed! You will lie down this instant. You, have you done this to her?~
  IF ~~ THEN EXTERN ~JAHEIRAJ~ 90
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN JAHEIRAJ 90
  SAY ~Drenden, they have done nothing to me... I am... cursed. It cannot be removed. I cannot... I feel...~
  IF ~~ THEN GOTO 9
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 9
  SAY ~She will remain here.  Find the source of this curse and stop it.  We must not lose this child of earth to this insidious thing. Go, and return quickly.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXTERN ~JAHEIRAJ~ 91
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN JAHEIRAJ 91
  SAY ~It's... alright. Find... find Ployer and...~
  IF ~~ THEN GOTO 10
END

IF ~False()~ THEN BEGIN 10
  SAY ~Jaheira will not live long under this curse. If you know how to rid her of it I suggest you do it quickly. We can only delay her fate. Hurry.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~False()~ THEN BEGIN 11
  SAY ~She is getting better. Whatever you did it saved her life. The earth mother thanks you for saving her child, as do all the citizens of nature.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~False()~ THEN BEGIN 12
  SAY ~Keep a thought in mind for our lost sister Jaheira... the balance is well kept in her hands wherever she roams. We wish this had ended differently.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~False()~ THEN BEGIN 13
  SAY ~This wood is well on its way to recovering the healthy balance it once possessed. We shall not falter again.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~False()~ THEN BEGIN 14
  SAY ~You have one of our brethren with you!   We must resurrect her immediately and... what is wrong? I feel great ugliness around her... a foul curse!~
  IF ~~ THEN GOTO 15
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 15
  SAY ~We will keep her here in druidic hibernation. That will stave off the inevitable for a time. Find what has done this and remove the curse, lest she not survive.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

So... ideas, anyone?  Is this worth pursuing, or will it just add more issues to an already bugged Jaheira romance?
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Barren

• An almighty modder's sidekick!
  • Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
Re: Drenden Shale aiding Jaheira
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 10:51:07 AM »
Depends. Where should Drenden be found? Because most people visit the Sea Bounty pretty early on, and definitely before the Druid grove. But overall, I'd like to see it included.
Quote from: talia brie
Otherwise visit the Ashford City forum and ask the mods, because Barren knows all. Barren is good. Barren is wise.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 12:26:39 PM »
From IRC:

<jcompton> Ice: No, I don't think it would impact the romance or anything like that. I think it's just exceedingly unlikely to be seen. It sounds like they're expecting you to haul her to the druid grove, and the quest is just too clearly laid out to take place in Athkatla for anybody to be terribly likely to bother.
<Icelus> Hmmm. 
<Idobek> Also, if you haven't already done the druid grove stuff Jaheira would be pretty much screwed. I doubt Faldorn would be sympathetic to her plight.

Now... my question is, however, where does Drenden originally show up, if at all?  My memory of the game, as with all things, sucks, so I did a search in NI.  It produced no hits at all.  Does this *have* to take place in the Druid Grove?  Couldn't a new, small area be added just outside of Athkatla where Jaheira could be taken?

Just tossing around ideas...

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 12:57:36 PM »
The Grove was just an early suggestion on my part, I couldn't find Drenden anywhere either. I don't really like adding new areas though... But if Drenden doesn't show up as soon as Jahs gets cursed, her dialog will probably be different ("take me to that Drenden guy" instead of "I'll still help you find Ployer").
Otherwise visit the Ashford City forum and ask the mods, because Barren knows all. Barren is good. Barren is wise.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 01:09:34 PM »
The Grove was just an early suggestion on my part, I couldn't find Drenden anywhere either. I don't really like adding new areas though... But if Drenden doesn't show up as soon as Jahs gets cursed, her dialog will probably be different ("take me to that Drenden guy" instead of "I'll still help you find Ployer").

I don't think adding a new area is nearly as bad as destroying the Druid Grove quest, or the fact that you have to take her all the way out there (I suppose it's possible she doesn't even know of that particular grove) and then return back to the city...

Offline Bibbi

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 05:15:41 PM »
well, the bit about the forest being healthy again could either be referring to Faldorn's death or the shade lord's death.  maybe you could put drenden in the umar hills/shade imnesvale map, saying he fled Faldorn's ascension since he knew she would kill him.  then, you don't have to include anything with trademeet or the druid quest and it wouldn't really change anything with the ranger stronghold quest.  alternately, you could put him in north forest or one of the other pretty much unused areas from chapter six and just have him be traveling somewhere.  he can have his home there for the time and jaheira knows where to find him

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 06:57:37 PM »
Meaning you an't get Jaheira cursed until chapter 6?

Offline MERLANCE

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 08:13:21 PM »
How about having him running into the PC's instead of that guy in the City Gates? he would say that he was coming into the city to find Jaheira to tell her to go to Trademeet and see whats what. Jaheira would know who he was, and urge the PC to deal with the matter.

You have to go through the city gates at one time or another. If the party had already gone to the city gates, they would know that he was there. If they hadnt already been there Jaheaira would say something like "we should start looking for him a bit to the east of Athkatla. He has a small grove there". When they got to the gates (and they would have to go to the gates if they hadnt already left town) he would walk up to the party and initiate his dialogue then.

I dunno. I just think it should happen at the City Gates.

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 08:21:08 PM »
And move Flydian to his originally planned location?

Offline MERLANCE

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 10:42:49 PM »
And move Flydian to his originally planned location?

He had an originally planned location? Where is that?

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 10:50:09 PM »
Same place as all the stronghold quest givers  ;)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: