Author Topic: You all might be interested in this...  (Read 3697 times)

Offline bryad

• Planewalker
  • Holy Liberator indeed

Re: You all might be interested in this...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 05:39:23 AM »
So it's D&D mixed in with C&C? :D

Sounds quite interesting actually, it'd be interesting to see how it goes

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 07:04:41 AM »
So it's D&D mixed in with C&C? :D
Yep, that's an especially appropriate description, given that the president of the studio developing it is Ed Del Castillo, one of the original creators of C&C :).  And before anyone starts ranting about how the C&C has gone seriously down hill, Mr. Castillo had nothing to do with any of them beyond the first Red Alert :P.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Nesquaam

• MoD (Master of Disaster)
  • Planewalker
  • Per solitudinem ardere
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 07:52:21 AM »
RTS and RPG together should be fun to play, but look at what they've done with Warlord (Battlecry).
Firts I have to see some of screenshots or something that shows how it's going to be.
...Smile, Tomorrow Will Be Worse

Offline bryad

• Planewalker
  • Holy Liberator indeed
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 11:21:52 PM »
Yeah, its really early in development... and i think it might suck.

How can you call something D&D and put it in a different world... Will the races be the same? I for one would like to play drow...

Speaking of which... Over in the Wc3 forums at blizzard.com, there was a debate between hardcore wc3 fans, and dnd fans. They argued on who would win: Drow, the undergound elves that we all love, or the Night elves, a reclusive female oriented society, immortal, boasting great dexterity and druidic powers. The battle ground would be the Night elf territory... so who would win?

Offline Nesquaam

• Planewalker
  • Per solitudinem ardere
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 07:29:47 AM »
Speaking of which... Over in the Wc3 forums at blizzard.com, there was a debate between hardcore wc3 fans, and dnd fans. They argued on who would win: Drow, the undergound elves that we all love, or the Night elves, a reclusive female oriented society, immortal, boasting great dexterity and druidic powers. The battle ground would be the Night elf territory... so who would win?
The Nightelves ofcourse, they have the benefit of the home-playing team. More supporters :P

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 07:38:03 AM »
Yeah, its really early in development... and i think it might suck.

How can you call something D&D and put it in a different world... Will the races be the same? I for one would like to play drow...

D&D isn't a world, it's a rolespaying system comprised of several worlds - Oerth (Greyhawk), Krynn (Dragonlance), Aber-Toril (Forgotten Realms, Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, and a couple of others), Athas (Dark sun), and many others - not mentioned other planes of existence (Planescape, etc).  Eberon is simply the latest addition to an ever-growing family.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline bryad

• Planewalker
  • Holy Liberator indeed
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 12:23:39 PM »
Ah.. thanks for enlightening me.

I was hoping they do something with Toril, i mean, we all have been on murderous rampages at least once in that world  :-X

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 02:35:31 PM »
The Fall of Myth Drannor would make a great RTS IMHO :).  The humans, elves, half-elves, gnomes, dwarves and halflings of Myth Drannor and the surrounding lands, plus the Harpers and several good dragons, vs. the goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, trolls, ogres, gnolls, giants and demons of the Army of Darkness... with druids, satyrs, treants, centaurs, phaerimm, evil dragons, banshees, drow, the cult of Moander and even an elven Spelljamming ship all getting mixed up in things at various points.

Offline Nesquaam

• Planewalker
  • Per solitudinem ardere
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 09:27:36 AM »
The Fall of Myth Drannor would make a great RTS IMHO :).  The humans, elves, half-elves, gnomes, dwarves and halflings of Myth Drannor and the surrounding lands, plus the Harpers and several good dragons, vs. the goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, trolls, ogres, gnolls, giants and demons of the Army of Darkness... with druids, satyrs, treants, centaurs, phaerimm, evil dragons, banshees, drow, the cult of Moander and even an elven Spelljamming ship all getting mixed up in things at various points.
Never knew that these two where evil. Could you explain this?

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 10:48:51 AM »
I think he just meant that they get caught up in the middle of it

Offline JPS

• Out of order
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 04:17:22 PM »
Never knew that these two where evil. Could you explain this?

Umm... they're not on the evil side. There are two main goups: "The humans, elves, half-elves, gnomes, dwarves and halflings of Myth Drannor and the surrounding lands, plus the Harpers and several good dragons", who are fighting "the goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, trolls, ogres, gnolls, giants and demons of the Army of Darkness". The"druids, satyrs, treants, centaurs, phaerimm, evil dragons, banshees, drow, the cult of Moander and even an elven Spelljamming ship" are just various smaller groups who get involved at one time or another.

I think it's good that they're using the new D&D setting, by the way. That way, they don't have to deal with the twenty years or so of different editions, opinions and interpretations that come with any of the established game worlds. And Eberron has flying trains. What more can you ask for?
"Attempts to find the gibberlings' lairs have inevitably led back to subterranean passages, where the trail is eventually lost in the deepest rock-floored recesses of the caverns."

Visit the Gibberlings Three!

Offline Nesquaam

• Planewalker
  • Per solitudinem ardere
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 09:34:52 AM »
I understand now.
At firts I thought it was
Army of Darkness with druids, etc.
And that would be weird.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 01:21:09 PM »
Well, there are Shadow Druids (who're technically evil in 2E and definitely evil in 3E), but I'm not sure if the group existed at the time of Myth Drannor or not.  Even if they did, they likely wouldn't side with either group.

Incidentally, the drow mentioned above allied themselves with a group of soldiers from Myth Drannor, albeit rather briefly and only because both sides had no other choice (the Army of Darkness threatened a Drow stronghold).  It was apparently the last time surface elves and drow ever consciously worked together (not counting the odd rogue like Drizzt or Irenicus) in the Forgotten Realms.

The druids, satyrs, treeants, centaurs and spelljamming ship were on the side of Myth Drannor, but not for the the entire war (either they got killed off early, or they only took part in one or two battles).  The phaerimm and banshees fought against the Army of Darkness, but not with the forces of Myth Drannor (i.e. they were enemies of one and neutral towards rather than allied with the other).

The Army of Darkness did have a couple of evil dragons at their service, but the other evil dragons that got involved were either awakened by all the fighting or simply took advantage of the situation - either way they gathered up "food" from both sides.  The Cult of Moander were merely lurking around the place, and didn't really get involved in any of the battles - though a scirmish betwee the Cult and a group of knights from Myth Drannor did form a sort fo "prelude" to the war.