Author Topic: Hello. Questions about Tactics Mod! -- Shadow Dancer  (Read 1725 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Shadow Dancer     
Posted: May 6 2004, 11:41 PM

2 major questions

1.Is this mod compatible with Ascention? I currently have Rogue Rebalancing and Ascention installed.

2.Are their any cheesy abilities/tactics that this mod gives to enemies?

I want to install it. But my main fears are the mod messing up my game, being incompatible with ascention, or just cheesing the hell out of the enemies.

I want challenging enemies with nice additional power and better AI. But nothing that forces me to CTRL+Y.

See I usually solo SOA+TOB. It's still somewhat easy like that, especially with a solo sorcerer. Everytime I used some party members, I felt like I had to hold back or something, because if I used all of them to their fullest the game would just be too darn easy. I hate feeling like that. I want to take me, edwin, and MAYBE someone else for soa+tob. But I want a damn challenge.

It's hard for me to describe what I feel is cheesy. It's basically stuff that players themselves can't do. I'm obviously excluding super powerful bosses or enemies. But if I see mages not getting interrupted, everyone being immune to backstab, everyone seeing my thief and following him even though he's invis, that'll be a super huge turn off. Stuff like that.

Can anyone go indepth as to what this mod is like?

Oh and do I have to start a new game? I'm currently in a new game with my assassin and edwin, we have finished just a few miniquests. So i'm not too far in or anything.

Help me out. I'm very excited and would very much like to install this mod.

Idobek    
Posted: May 7 2004, 04:07 AM

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?board=43.0

Posted: May 7 2004, 04:44 AM

The things that annoy me about Tactics (though as a whole I love the increased challenge and thus refuse to install):

1. If you make any noise (other than footsteps) within a screen or two of a lich or demilich, they pull a teleport field and "summon the entire party" out of their ass. I edited this out of my copy. Sure it's easy to cheese liches now, but the party summoning was just... retarded.

2. Improved pit fiends pull improved invisibility out of their asses every few seconds (instantly if they can't see any targets). I added a 30 second timer to my personal copy so I can actually kill the buggers.

3. Casters now buff themselves with a ton of spells once every 8 hours or so. This makes them tougher since you have to actually breach (or whatever) their defenses before you can hurt them. The problem is that they cast almost every possible protection, ignoring memorization rules. If they had memorized the proper spells and then cast the ones they knew, I wouldn't mind so much.

4. Many enemies seem to love going directly for the weakest party member they see. So, your mage had better be prepared for a savage beating and your warriors had better be prepared to chase your foes as they chase your mage.

And a warning...
Improved undead can be nasty. They're no longer the push-overs they once were (you know, assuming you're not immune to panic, blindness, hold, and a few other status afflictions).

Aside from that (and any of my other few gripes that didn't come to mind just now), it's a great mod. The monsters that should be fearsome are indeed fearsome. Even some "lesser" creatures can be a challenge now when they were otherwise a breeze. I'm satisfied with the mod as a whole.

Posted: May 7 2004, 04:45 AM

ACK! I wish I could change that "refuse to install" to "refuse to uninstall" at the top of that post. May need to consider registering...

Shadow Dancer    
Posted: May 7 2004, 09:02 AM

Thanks Guys.

I'll check out that link too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 10:06:51 AM by Bons »
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: