Author Topic: Should i play IWG II?  (Read 5349 times)

Ryder

Should i play IWG II?
« on: May 20, 2004, 10:14:22 PM »
Halloween Jack

i'm just playing BG1 with tutu at the mo' and although i've never owned IWD II i'm thinking about buying it to play BG2 thru it.

although tutu is fine now, i did have a few game stopping probs early on that took me about a week to work around. i nearly gave up, but it's great now, and i'm using shadow keeper to change stuff round a bit for a change.

just after a bit of advice really, i do really like D&D Ed3 rules (as implemented in Temple of Elemental evil) so did IWD II do a good job? is BG2 good using it? i guess it would make a nice change almost like a new game. are there still lots of char classes? is there a char editor to tweak the npcs class etc? are there any game stopping bugs etc.

sorry for so many questions but any opinions would be good to hear.

thx all

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
Re: Should i play IWG II?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 07:21:10 PM »
Guest Posted: May 21 2004, 12:02 AM 

Hi, Jack!

To be honest, BGII isn't working well at the time. I think, you'll quickly be frustrated when playing it: there are still a lot of bugs and sometimes you cand advance in the game only by using cheat codes.

On the other hand, of you liked ToEE, you'll also like IWD2. So my advice would be to get IWD2 and play the game itself. Weimer offers some good mods for IWD2. Check them out at Weimer's page. 

raptor Posted: May 21 2004, 08:13 AM

Ill just shoot in a bit of my own opinions then:

ToEE puts the D&D 3.5E rules in alo better than IWD2 really did, but IWD2 is just a further changed version of IWD1, wich was originally BG1 (?), wich was ment for 2E so a few of the things is a bit, well "hacks" but it plays fun anyways. Definitive my favorite version of the Infinity Engine yet.

At the moment IWG2 is in beta testing stages. aka, only those few blessed souls picked to be Beta Testers are allowed to play this mod yet. And no, no public Beta available, nor will be (from the looks of it). So just buckle upp with a good potion of patience ™ ...

There are all the same classes as in BG2, but the Kit's are gonne (didnt bother me much), but the basic 11 (the 8 from 2E + the 3 new ones Monk, barbarian, sorcerer. from 3E that BG2 implemented somewhat). Also you have Subraces now, wich find muchmore interesting than kits myself.
For editors, the DaleKeeper2 works somewhat, i noticed it kills the "bhall gifts" (aka cure light, larlochs minor drain, ghoul touch, neutralise poison, vampiric touch, draw upon holy might) becose those arent handled by the editor. NearInfinity should work good though, havent tried it for IWD2 myself, since i have only learned to use it for character editing last week or such.

Not a beta myself so cant ansver exactlly what bugs are going around, but it seems some people have played through successfully, and others not. onyl recal the lack of teleport back from the dream maps. that you had to use the CLUAConsole to teleport to some map.

Curious Thought: The Subraces in IWD2 seems to be handled much the same way as Kits in BG2, wouldnt it be posible to create Kits as well ? would lend for a HUGE variety of characters...

Okie i have ranted enough for now... /me cast silence 15 feet radius on raptor.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

raptor

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 10:22:19 AM »
You have no idea how weird it feels to come to a mesageboard you have never seen before and find that someone has quoted you... (that was from the forgottenwars forum for icewind gate2)

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 10:30:34 AM »
It's not really a quote per-se. It was just the easiest way to transfer the posts from the old IWG2 forum over to the new one here.

Offline TruePurple

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 04:32:38 AM »
To be honest, BGII isn't working well at the time. I think, you'll quickly be frustrated when playing it: there are still a lot of bugs and sometimes you cand advance in the game only by using cheat codes.
You mean IWG2?

On the other hand, of you liked ToEE, you'll also like IWD2.

ToEE stands for?
At the moment IWG2 is in beta testing stages. aka, only those few blessed souls picked to be Beta Testers are allowed to play this mod yet. And no, no public Beta available, nor will be (from the looks of it). So just buckle upp with a good potion of patience ™
I thought it was available and by the looks of the message board, I thought its abandoned (granted this is a older message but only by a month or so)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 04:37:42 AM by TruePurple »

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 06:05:18 AM »
@TruePurple - you're quoting Bons from more than a year ago, so yeah some things have changed. ToEE - Temple of Elemental Evil.
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: