Author Topic: What is going to happen?  (Read 9156 times)

Stukov

What is going to happen?
« on: February 27, 2004, 05:25:03 AM »
Hello everybody, that's my first time here in the forums. I am a BG2 fan and I have finished the game several times with different mods installed each time. The Valen mod is great but the romance remains something that has DEFINETELY to be added. Apart from our conversations as players WHAT ARE YOU, WEIMER PLANNING TO DO? What about the other alternative romance submod suggestions? Have you actually begun working on something? Discussion is nice but I feel that this matter is stuck for too long. You guys are great, just follow your instincts if you can't find a middle solution based on the forums, but please DO SOMETHING! -Thanks

SlidMang0

What is going to happen?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 05:29:46 AM »
the romance remains something that has DEFINETELY to be added.
No.

Deathsangel

What is going to happen?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 06:50:22 AM »
Wouldn't even want a vampire to romance me, just like stepping into a bed of a succubus. BAD IDEA!

She could use some extra banter though.

Gabrielle

What is going to happen?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 06:56:59 PM »
Necrophilia sounds rather sick to me.

jester

What is going to happen?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 07:06:02 PM »
Wouldn't even want a vampire to romance me, just like stepping into a bed of a succubus. BAD IDEA!
I had a succubus once in Durlag's tower and that was not too bad. You have to work on your stamina though. A succubus is very much alive.  :P  

Thorium Dragon

What is going to happen?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 01:47:39 AM »
No.
Yes.

Auvrin

What is going to happen?
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 08:27:27 PM »
Actually, no,  Because the maker of this mod isn't making a romance.  Someone (namely you Thorium), felt the need to add one in your own design.  So simply put, there isn't, and probably never will be, an official romance for the Valen mod.  The only planning for such a thing at this point are spin offs and alterations.

Just the blunt facts.

Jerr

What is going to happen?
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 11:51:45 PM »
ACTUALLY, the blunt facts of the matter are there is no "OFFICIAL" Valen Mod and anyone is free to use the Valen character in their own mod......

Thorium Dragon

What is going to happen?
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 12:06:58 AM »
Actually, no.
Actually, yes.

Auvrin

What is going to happen?
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 02:04:45 AM »
ACTUALLY, the blunt facts of the matter are there is no "OFFICIAL" Valen Mod and anyone is free to use the Valen character in their own mod......
If you'd like to get into the legal and technical side of it, by all means, but then again if you did that, everyone out in the modding community could be up and sued without question for altering and editing a copy written program.  Valen is a character created by Black Isle, so there is no official Valen outside the one that comes to your party and offers the chance to go to the graveyard.  In all reality -no one- has the right to alter or change anything within the game.  It doesn't even matter if you went out to the store and bought your copy of BG2.  You just own the discs and whatever else came in the box, you have no rights to any of the data stored within it, nor any right to alter it.

I'm a strong supporter of modding, but if you want to dig down to the facts that's more then fine with me.

Now then, let's take it a bit further.  Weimer made his own version of Valen, and altered her into what she is within this mod.  He never really had the "rights" to do it, but did so any ways for his own enjoyment, or what not.   This would then be called an 'official Weimer alteration'.   Now Thorium is altering a character yet again, he's not Black Isle, nor is he Weimer, and lastly he still doesn't have the 'rights' to do it.  Thorium's creation will no longer be Weimer's mod, but it will be Thorium's with the basis of Black Isle and Weimer's work.  So again, No.  Weimer's Valen is, as far as we all know, no longer being worked on by Weimer, nor will he be adding a romance unless he returns to the work, permission was given to Thorium to alter -Weimer's-Valen, but it is -not- of Weimer's creation, nor of Black Isle.    So once more, for good measure, No.

Kish

What is going to happen?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 04:03:34 AM »
To say that a romance is necessary for any character is very much like saying that the only character in the original game that deserve to be called characters are Aerie, Jaheira, Viconia, and Anomen.  The romance is not something that "has definitely to be added," much less something that "has DEFINITELY to be added."  A character can be perfectly complete without a romance.  Valen could be perfectly complete without a romance.

I'm not taking sides on the "Valen should/shouldn't have a romance" issue, but I take issue with the idea that giving her one is some kind of imperative.  Imoen is not less of a character, in the unmodded game, than Viconia.  Minsc is not less of a character than Anomen.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 04:05:32 AM by Kish »

Stukov

What is going to happen?
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2004, 04:10:25 AM »
According to this way of thinking there should be no modding at all.  :huh: No flirt packs, banter packs etc. No solaufein! I don't uderstand you, comrade. Bioware supports these attempts to alter the game. Some of the modders where actually in the original game designer team. What about Redemption/Ascesnsion etc? Do you think the same about them? What mods do you play after all?

And about the necrophilia thing, ho guys necrophilia involves having sex with bodies. Valen is not a thing, she has a mind of her own, she is also beautiful and intelligent. Many truly good-hearted people fell in love with someone obviously evil because among other things they wished to help him change no matter the odds. That's love, folks. I agree it is foolish for a good-aligned character to fall in love with a CE vampire. But it can happen.

The only reason for not modifying Valen would be Weimer not wanting it. Since he approves why not?

There should be many dialogue options in the romance, to express the different ways that a PC would approach Valen. Some might try to change her. And that's why the mod exists. I don't know if it is possible for a vampire to change. But then again its a fantasy game.

Thorium Dragon

What is going to happen?
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 09:09:23 AM »
So once more, for good measure, No.
Yes.

jester

What is going to happen?
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2004, 10:14:05 AM »
As much as I like debates that are full of arguments and reasoning like the one above (Yes - No -Yes - No - Yes - No, ok the yes has it cause it has more letters :P), I think it is really pointless. The best vote is the public one, but a modder should do it primarily because he/she wants to and second -with quite a distance- to please others. So finish your mod take a couple of clues along the way. If you are looking for permission to do stuff, you are completely on the wrong track. Listen to helpful people along the way, but refrain to take some stuff for gospel. I have a very elegant solutions for those mods I don't like, I do not install them. Wes had a very good hand at picking npcs on which to expand. Pick up anyone and there will be people out there who share your point of view and like the way you implemented them.

..and as long as you are not going commercial with your mod forget about ownership and copyrights. Those companies intelligent enough would never sue a community that breeds their most durable customer base for peanuts.

Thorium Dragon

What is going to happen?
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2004, 10:39:41 AM »
As much as I like debates that are full of arguments and reasoning like the one above (Yes - No -Yes - No - Yes - No, ok the yes has it cause it has more letters :P), I think it is really pointless. The best vote is the public one, but a modder should do it primarily because he/she wants to and second -with quite a distance- to please others. So finish your mod take a couple of clues along the way. If you are looking for permission to do stuff, you are completely on the wrong track. Listen to helpful people along the way, but refrain to take some stuff for gospel. I have a very elegant solutions for those mods I don't like, I do not install them. Wes had a very good hand at picking npcs on which to expand. Pick up anyone and there will be people out there who share your point of view and like the way you implemented them.

..and as long as you are not going commercial with your mod forget about ownership and copyrights. Those companies intelligent enough would never sue a community that breeds their most durable customer base for peanuts.
Yes!  :D  

Auvrin

What is going to happen?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2004, 10:48:23 AM »
According to this way of thinking there should be no modding at all.  :huh: No flirt packs, banter packs etc. No solaufein! I don't uderstand you, comrade. Bioware supports these attempts to alter the game. Some of the modders where actually in the original game designer team. What about Redemption/Ascesnsion etc? Do you think the same about them? What mods do you play after all?
As I said in the post before, I have nothing against modding.  I was simply stating the technical facts since it was brought up.  In general, it doesn't really matter who the person is, wether they were in the team or not.  Black Isle, or more accurately, Interplay, and the other companies in it's creation, owns all rights to BG2 and could technically sue anyone that altered their program.  It's only a fact, not the way I feel.  Wether or not Bioware supports modding doesn't matter, as they don't own all the rights to BG2.

As for you Thorium, until you actually make an intelligent attempt at holding a position in a debate, you're not worth my time aside from this dismissal.

Thorium Dragon

What is going to happen?
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2004, 11:04:57 AM »
As for you Thorium, until you actually make an intelligent attempt at holding a position in a debate, you're not worth my time aside from this dismissal.
Me like candy.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 11:44:38 AM by Thorium Dragon »

Kish

What is going to happen?
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2004, 11:16:11 AM »
Just for the record, Redemption was not developed in any part by anyone from the original Bioware design team.

Timmy Powergamer

What is going to happen?
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2004, 01:25:19 PM »
It's like some WWII out here, no that yes that insults thrown... gosh. Just had a nice idea if you're going to continue Valen thorium, could you program it so that Valen accepts Aerie but then has a little "feast" with her.. I mean like could valen eat Aerie or somthing? Hate that whiny little bitch!  :P  

jester

What is going to happen?
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2004, 01:33:16 PM »
It's like some WWII out here, no that yes that insults thrown... gosh.
You definitely have to visit obsolete link removed
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 11:03:18 PM by jcompton »

Sim

What is going to happen?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2004, 01:35:10 PM »
It's like some WWII out here, no that yes that insults thrown... gosh.
You definitely have to visit obsolete link removed
Directing people to the Fridge doesn't do wonders for their health.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 11:03:33 PM by jcompton »

jester

What is going to happen?
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2004, 01:49:37 PM »
Hey, you have to be fair we are as nice as everybody in The Den, gender change on the house is quite likely and free sodas when polymorphed to something really ugly, not to speak of all the free trips to places like Rastor's evil keep™, Trinins hell trip and back and Greys Rifto-Rama. So you do not get any raw deals at the Pub. :)

Jerr

What is going to happen?
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2004, 02:42:34 PM »
"but it will be Thorium's with the basis of Black Isle and Weimer's work."

Your correct, and I believe I read on another post that Thorium had Weimer's permission to us his work. Which it was nice of him to ask. But your missing the point I could go right now and write a Valen mod that totally ignored both Weimer's, Thorium's, and Black Isle's work on Valen. Totally alter her to my own imagination. The only one that is anywhere close to an official version of Valen is Black Isles and they don't seem to intent on sueing people. No one else has any room to say:
"You can't mod this char. Cause shes mine!"

If you don't like it, don't download it Auvrin.

Auvrin

What is going to happen?
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2004, 02:49:23 AM »
If you don't like it, don't download it Auvrin.
I don't plan to in all honesty.  I don't have the time.  Even if I did, I would still find myself having a hard to playing a Valen romance, even from an educational stand point.  My only reason for making a comment on this once again was simply because someone asked when and if "Weimer" was working on a romance for Valen, and to that Thorium replied yes many times.  That is incorrect information, as Thorium is the one making a romance, not Weimer.

Thorium Dragon

What is going to happen?
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2004, 10:53:35 AM »
...someone asked when and if "Weimer" was working on a romance for Valen, and to that Thorium replied yes many times.
Not what I said "yes" to.

No.
Yes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 11:44:03 AM by Thorium Dragon »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: