Author Topic: Moonblade and Moonray  (Read 6398 times)

Sillara of the Tamari

Moonblade and Moonray
« on: November 03, 2003, 06:08:50 AM »
I have a question about Sola's sword vs. Moonray.  My husband and I both play BGII, and we are playing with the exact same mods (NPC flirt pack, Sola, and Valen) installed.  We are even playing on the SAME computer (at different times of course).  I am playing the Sola mod for the second time, and he is playing it for the third.  Both times I have played good characters; once I romanced him, once not.  My husband has played a good, a neutral, and an evil character.  All three times my husband has gotten the awesome Tsuki-no-ken.  Both times I have gotten Moonray.  My husband's PCs have all been male, mine female.  Is there a REASON for this?  Is there a way that I can get Tsuki-no-ken?  My husband has played an Elven kensai, a human dual-classed fighter-thief, and a gnome mage-thief multiclass.  I have had an Elven fighter and a human dual-classed fighter-cleric.  WHY?  Why can I NOT get Tsuki-no-ken?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Kiki

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 12:47:22 PM »
If you romance Solaufein, your responses to some of his dialogues determine whether he gets the sword or the Moonray.  Responding pragmatically leads to the sword; responding remorsefully will get him the Moonray.

If you don't romance him, he gets Tsuki by default.

Sillara of the Tamari

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 05:00:28 PM »
Thank you, Kiki!  Now that I know, I can be sure to get the sword later.  :D

By the way, I like your signature.  I am a big Sayers fan myself.

Kiki

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 10:52:27 PM »
Always happy to meet another DLS reader! Welcome to the FWS boards.

SPOILER!

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 05:32:26 AM »
Can you please give me the stats for both, so I knwo what I should gun for the first time round?

I'm a poet and I do not know

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 05:33:22 AM »
What the hell?! Title becomes Screenname?

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 05:42:26 PM »
I actually encourage you to just answer honestly and accept what he is given :-).

Here are the stats for Tsuki:

Tsuki no Ken: Moon's Blade +4
According to legend, this ancient blade was originally forged in Kara-Tur by a Tengu weaponsmith with a strange sense of humor. Records of its passing were lost to antiquity until it turned up in the care of a high priestess of Eilistraee. Since then it has been used by followers of Lady Silverhair to protect the weak and strike down the wicked. It was personally granted to Solaufein by the Goddess herself. The blade gleams with a dark silvery light and its passing makes a sound like rustling leaves in a dark forest.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:  Free Action, Luck, +2 AC Bonus, +1 attack per round
Combat Ability:  Each hit has a 25% chance blinding the victim with lunar radiance and inflicting 12 points of fire damage over the course of 3 seconds.
THACO:  +4 bonus
Damage:  1D8 +4
Damage type:  slashing
Weight:  3
Speed Factor:  0
Proficiency Type:  Long Sword
Type:  1-handed
Usable By:  Solaufein

The Moonray is a bit more mythic and doesn't come with in in-game description. It does come with "Lunar Spell Memorization", which gives Solaufein extra spell slots. Generally, the Moonblade is more convenient (you can just have him hack through enemies) while the Moonray is more powerful (I think fewer a dozen enemies in the game would survive Alacrity + 3x Moonray) but more annoying to use (limited number of times per day, etc.).  

L_Jonté

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 08:43:01 AM »
Thank you, Kiki!  Now that I know, I can be sure to get the sword later.  :D

By the way, I like your signature.  I am a big Sayers fan myself.
Ooooooorrr... after he gets the Moonray you can *koff*cheat*koff* and use Shadowkeeper to get the sword.  I'm just sayn'.

Kiki

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 01:03:12 PM »
You could get hauled off for aiding and abetting cheaters, missy. Just keep that in mind when the gaming police kick down your door.

Sillara of the Tamari

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 07:25:37 PM »
Well, I have actually been stuck in modding mode for a while now!  I have not been playing Sola as much.  But as for my answers, which ones I give depend on the PC's personality.  And you know something: I played through with Sola quite a few times before learning how to get the Moonblade--and I never used the Moonray once.   ;)

@Kiki: Tell me, do you actually LIKE the Vane?  :ph34r:  

Kiki

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 11:17:38 PM »
@Kiki: Tell me, do you actually LIKE the Vane?
Harriet Vane? Yes indeed. Peter is often too perfect (need a bell ringer? need someone to shimmy up a drainpipe? need a wine connoisseur? well, it just so happens that his lordship, who is also fabulously rich, has toddled in) but Harriet is quite human. She considers her life as well as living it. She's an awful sleuth, but her humor and intelligence more than make up for that.

And the romance scenes in Busman's Honeymoon ... well, who could resist either Peter or Harriet?

There is a wonderful illustrated version of one of my favorite passages from Gaudy Night here:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/4069621/

L_Jonté

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2004, 06:27:57 PM »
You could get hauled off for aiding and abetting cheaters, missy. Just keep that in mind when the gaming police kick down your door.
Yer all talk copper!  I ain't a'scared of you!

Kiki

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 11:30:43 PM »
Don't think I didn't see your blatant encouragement of cheating in that other thread, lady. You're just making it worse for yourself ...

Userunfriendly

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004, 03:13:28 AM »
If you romance Solaufein, your responses to some of his dialogues determine whether he gets the sword or the Moonray.  Responding pragmatically leads to the sword; responding remorsefully will get him the Moonray.

If you don't romance him, he gets Tsuki by default.
urm...you can actually...urm..urm...lead him on, until you are asked to dance, and then kill the romance and still get moonray...

moonray really is awesome, blinds without save...

:P  

T.G.Maestro

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2004, 05:43:54 AM »
moonray really is awesome, blinds without save...
One of the facts I NEVER use this innate, no matter how hard the situation is. It is the most overpowered spell in the whole game.. maybe if it would be set to once/day only.. :blink:

BTW, thje same critic goes for the blade - why does it need SO MUCH buffing? It makes Sola almost unbeatable, which is not good.

My opinion only, of course. No offense meant.

L_Jonté

Moonblade and Moonray
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2004, 08:21:42 AM »
Don't think I didn't see your blatant encouragement of cheating in that other thread, lady. You're just making it worse for yourself ...
If you're talking about the buffing thread, it's only because I've never quite understood the term in game context.  In my head though, it seems it should have something to do with the characters, a chammy and a can of high-gloss wax.

Kinky.   B)  

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: