Author Topic: NPC characters reactions to Solaufein Romance  (Read 27368 times)

Magna Angel

NPC characters reactions to Solaufein Romance
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2003, 10:41:32 PM »
Greetings ya'll! I am new here, but I had this idea and I decided to juts begin here. How about some, if pc is male, homophobic reactions? Like an NPC can take the PC off to the side, and tell thme that they feel what they are doing is wrong. Then the PC can try to explain to them why it's not wrong. Just an idea. Hope ya like!

Snowking

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2003, 03:00:51 AM »
I don't know if that's such a good idea. Without mods the Forgotten Realms has no homosexual romance which would make it harder to say who would be homophobic. I also thinks it gangbashes against gays a little... saying that it's wrong, though it is true some people are indeed homophobic, IMO I think it better that it's left out. just my opinion...

SK :ph34r:  

Shian

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2003, 10:13:45 AM »
I agree with Snowking. Besides, that sounds like it might be a conflict . . .  

Athena

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2003, 12:36:14 PM »
The only characters in this case whom it may become a conflict for are Aerie, Viconia, and Jaheira, remember. :)

On one hand, it would be realistic to have homophobic reactions from NPCs. Just because gay and lesbian relationships seem to be more accepted in the Realms doesn't mean there isn't opposition. On the other, adding such reactions means, once again, walking a very fine line.
Having such reactions might not even be true to Wes's preferences for the mod, and if he ends up using any of these reactions at all, he might decide not to use the homophobic ones for various reasons.

Just things to consider. :)

Tenma

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2004, 08:47:53 PM »
Hm...perhaps Jaheira or Cernd would have a problem with a male/male relationship? Deciding that "it's not natural" or something? Keldorn is a bit old fashioned too, and Anomen is also in the Order...so they could take the religious stand. And maybe to be on the safe side, there should be two different packs, one with and one without the homophobia.

Drawing from Viconia's reaction to asking Drizzt for help against Bodhi, she would have a similar response to Solaufein, especially if she had a romance with the PC. Something about one Drow not being good enough...

Athena

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2004, 09:04:57 PM »
And maybe to be on the safe side, there should be two different packs, one with and one without the homophobia.

That's a good idea, and I don't believe it would be too hard to implement. :)

Drawing from Viconia's reaction to asking Drizzt for help against Bodhi, she would have a similar response to Solaufein, especially if she had a romance with the PC. Something about one Drow not being good enough...

That draws too close to a romance conflict, I think. Though Vic might have some acidic comments to make if a male PC turned her down earlier.

kirkjobsluder

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2004, 11:27:54 PM »
On one hand, it would be realistic to have homophobic reactions from NPCs. Just because gay and lesbian relationships seem to be more accepted in the Realms doesn't mean there isn't opposition. On the other, adding such reactions means, once again, walking a very fine line.
Well, hrm.  My take on how various NPCs would react to a male characters romance with Sola:

Imoen:  Very supportive.  (BTW, in regards to an earlier dialogue, Imoen is the smartest NPC in most parties, would she say otherwise?)

Jaheira:  I think she would be grudgingly supportive. A homosexual romance would be less an issue for her than Sarevok.  She would notice it early.  

Aerie:  I really don't know how to read this one.  I don't think the idea would be new to her, (she travels is a cirus after all) but might express disgust at displays of affection.  It might be along the lines of, "I suppose I have to learn to accept this, but could you please not throw it in my face so often?"

Keldorn:  Not his concern.  He seems rather pragmatic for a paladin to me.  Has been 'round the block, and seen it all.

Anomen:  Probably highly hostile to the idea.  

Mazzy:  My reading of halflings is that they are a pretty family-oriented bunch.  I think she would be mildly hostile.  

Cernd:  Not his concern.  Might talk about same-sex pairings in other animals.  

Valygar:  (Ok, my bias is that of all the NPC's Valygar is one of the two I vote as most likely to be gay.) Being the strong silent type, I don't think he would comment.

Haer'dalis:  Teasing, but supporitve.  (I actually can't stand him.)

Misc:  Either, "You two can do that?".  Or "Ohh, Boo reminds me that two men in our lodge shared beds also...".  "Boo thinks it is just ducky that you two go forth hand in hand, buttkicking for goodness."  

Jan:  "That reminds me of my uncle ..."

Edwin:  Disgusted and condescending.  Might offer to "cure" charname by buying a prostitute.

Viconia:  Amused, in an insulting way.  Might ask which one is dominant.  Comments about what froms of depravity males stoop to.

Nalia:  (My other choice for most likely to be gay.)  Very supportive.

Tenma

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2004, 11:58:32 PM »
Misc:  Either, "You two can do that?".  Or "Ohh, Boo reminds me that two men in our lodge shared beds also...".  "Boo thinks it is just ducky that you two go forth hand in hand, buttkicking for goodness." 
Wow...you...you have no idea how much the latter suggestion made my day. It...I just...-bursts in to tears- I'M SO HAPPY!

Trinin

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2004, 05:01:09 AM »
After reading thru the posts in this section (also listening to mxpx and evanesease plus 3 cups of coffe) I came up with this. You see think about it. I mean how much would your charecter now about male/male relationships. So that's how this came about.

Imoen: So <CharName>………

You can sense the oncoming teasing. Ever since Solaufein and yourself had started to become… more than friends. Imoen had made it her mission in life to humiliate you every step of the way.

Imoen: I was wondering about something.

PC: What would that be?

An evil grin spreads over her face and you suddenly have the feeling you should have stayed in bed this morning.

Imoen: When you and Solaufein do ‘it’. How will you considering you don’t have the right ‘equipment’?

The blood quickly flows to your cheeks and you think you must have heard her wrong.

PC: Wh-What did you say?

Judging by your expression she knows that you heard her right.

Imoen: You heard me. So…. What do you two lovebirds ‘do’ anyway?

If what she meant by ‘do’ was what you thought it was, you honestly didn’t know. Solaufein and yourself had yet to ‘engage’ in that aspect of your relationship. Also on what you two would ‘do’ together, well let’s just say they never covered ‘that’ aspect of romance at Candle Keep.

PC: I…ugh…

Imoen: Showing mock surprise. Could it be that <CharName> doesn’t know? Gasp. Well we will most certainly have to remedy this. Oh Solaufein!

Oh no oh no were the words circulating in your head. Solaufein heard his name and walked over to where we where.

Solaufein: Yes Imoen can I help you.

Imoen: Solaufein is it safe to assume that you now all about male-to-male relationships.

He looks at her quizzically and turns to you and cocks an eyebrow. He turns back to Imoen.

Solaufein: Yes you could say th-

Imoen: Then did you know that your ‘boyfriend’ has not a clue? Not a drop of insight or awareness. You see once again my brother is clueless.

Solaufein turns towards you with a mixed look of concern and amusement.

Solaufein: Is this true <CharName>?

PC: Yes its true.

You hang your head like the time the monks caught you sneaking cookies.

Solaufein: Then well just have to do something about that. <CharName> today is your first day of sex education.

Both Solaufein and Imoen looked like they were ready to burst into laughter. Solaufein leads you away were you can talk in private. You turn your head to see Imoen rolling on the ground clenching her sides howling in laughter. You need revenge. For this was the 985th time Imoen had embarrassed you like this since you left Candle Keep. But first you must listen to your sex ed talk.  

So what ya think. Oh and nice to met ya Tenma I'm Trinin (duh) nice meet ya. :D

Meira

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2004, 06:51:40 AM »
I would imagine that Aerie would be more unease about Sola being a drow, even that the avariel are not likely to encounter them much. Still the hatred between surface elves and the drow runs so deep, all the way back to the gods themselves.

And yes I suppose Jaheira could be quite understanding as she must have got lot of  ill looks of being the halfelven beloved of an full blooded elf.

Then again I don't know how much prejudge we want to put in the mod as members of sexual minorities have to take a lot of that in their everyday life - a fantasy world ought to be a little better place perhaps. Somehow Sola's 'ignorance' of the gender (and race) of the PC is refreshing. Naive idealism how things should be - that it just does not matter who you love.

-Meira

kirkjobsluder

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2004, 10:51:13 AM »
Then again I don't know how much prejudge we want to put in the mod as members of sexual minorities have to take a lot of that in their everyday life - a fantasy world ought to be a little better place perhaps. Somehow Sola's 'ignorance' of the gender (and race) of the PC is refreshing. Naive idealism how things should be - that it just does not matter who you love.

-Meira
Well, just my perspective as a bi man.  I don't see the forgotten realms as a utopian vision like Oz.  A part of what I wrote earlier is also some thoughts about a gay-themed romance I'm working on.  (Although hopefully there will be enough that it should be interesting without the romance, but not nearly Sola scale.)  I don't think of the FR as a utopian "Oz". If we can have a sub-plot about Nalia's dissatisfaction with her arranged marriage, then I don't see the big deal about having some characters express reservations about a gay relationship.  

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2004, 11:53:08 AM »
Erm...I think it was mentioned that all the proposed dialogues should be gender neutral, so homophobic are probably not what Wes wanted, no?

I am actually curios, what exactly about Valygar makes him gay? The man had a recorded past female lover,  he openly laments the self-imposed celibacy, he states openly that he is attracted to women and demonstrates that looking after the lightskirts, he actually end up trying to kill someone who suggest that he is gay, he is envious of Charname's and Aerie's having a baby, and, finally, he marries a woman, consumates his marriage and is happy with her.

kirkjobsluder

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2004, 01:40:23 PM »
Erm...I think it was mentioned that all the proposed dialogues should be gender neutral, so homophobic are probably not what Wes wanted, no?

I am actually curios, what exactly about Valygar makes him gay? The man had a recorded past female lover,  he openly laments the self-imposed celibacy, he states openly that he is attracted to women and demonstrates that looking after the lightskirts, he actually end up trying to kill someone who suggest that he is gay, he is envious of Charname's and Aerie's having a baby, and, finally, he marries a woman, consumates his marriage and is happy with her.
Really, must have missed all that last time I played with him.

The Minsc Banter:

Minsc: Solaufein, Boo has something he needs to tell you.

Sola:  Yes...

Minsc:  Boo has noticed that you and CHARNAME have spent a lot of time together.  And Minsc has noticed too.

Misnc:  Boo thinks it is just ducky that you and CHARNAME go forth together, hand in hand, buttkicking for goodness.

Sola:  I see.

Minsc:  Every hero needs a companion! What would Minsc be without Boo?  

Sola: Ummm...

Minsc:  It the future, bards will sing songs, men will swoon, and women will lift their cups in memory of the rightous buttkicking of CHARNAME and Solaufein!  

Sola:  Minsc?

Minsc:  Yes?

Sola:  Don't ever change.

Minsc:  Why, Minsc changes his clothes once a month!  Why..., oh Boo gets it.

Jenova

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2004, 02:43:13 PM »
Hm...perhaps Jaheira or Cernd would have a problem with a male/male relationship?
Don't know about Cernd (God, he is annoying!) but Jaheira would only say something like: "If this is what you want than feel free to do it". She treats the PC as her own child (if the PC is not romancing her of course... :rolleyes: ) so she would like to see CHARNAME happy.

And we have Viconia...well I can see her taunt both PC and Sola, I can see her beeing sarcastic...but I don't see her care about it. She would be amused by the whole situation.  :angry:  That is why I hate her so much.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: