Author Topic: yeah, well, he'd play BG2 more  (Read 1474 times)

Kiki

yeah, well, he'd play BG2 more
« on: December 06, 2003, 01:20:51 AM »
While I don't play EverQuest, I do follow the Red Sox, and I have to say that Curt Schilling sounds like a geek after my own heart.

From the Boston Globe, 12/4/2003:

You might say of newly acquired Boston Red Sock Curt "The Hope" Schilling that he's got games. One of the games he excels at is baseball. Another happens to be EverQuest, a deep-dish, spooky-wooky online role-playing adventure fantasy marketed by Sony.

"I'm a wargamer at heart," was one of Schilling's comments in a lengthy 2001 interview with Allakhazam (real name: Jeff Moyer), who runs an EverQuest fan website. Here is how Schilling, an old-line Dungeons and Dragons guy who says he has played "Ultima Online, Diablo, every war game made, Baldur's Gate I and II," describes some quality time in fantasy world:

"My first foray into Lower Guk was a lot of fun. . . . Completing the Robe of the Lost Circle quest was a blast. Camping Raster was a nightmare, but I got stupidly lucky. I had pretty much resigned myself to camping Scythehands in the Mino room, logging in, seeing another monk already there camping, and waiting. One night I log in, and there's a 55 level monk there. Great guy. He's been there for like 12 hours. No Raster -- pop, despawn, pop, despawn -- still no Raster."

<snip>

Now back to the World Of Norrath. Schilling's EverQuest habit came to light after a 2001 game when his former Philadelphia Phillies teammate Doug Glanville hit two homers off of Schilling, who had just joined the Arizona Diamondbacks. Glanville explained to a writer for ESPN.com that the homers were payback for Schilling's role in the death of Bing-bong, Glanville's beloved, dwarven paladin. Glanville's tale: "One day, Schill was playing his character, Cylc, and he asked me to team up with him in Faydwer, in the zone of the Butcherblock Mountains, to kill Aviaks, which are basically walking birds." The pair encountered danger, according to Glanville, and Schilling ran away: "I vowed revenge on the soul of Bingbong, for the negligent actions of Cylc." Hence the two homers.

Later, Allakhazam offered Schilling the chance to tell his side of the story. "C'mon dude, you ever hear of a cleric pulling in a group with a paladin?" Schilling answered. "Anyone with a lick of sense in EQ could see right through (Glanville's) babbling and knows that he was the train conductor in that entire episode. Doug's the goods though. Fun as hell to group with. His ranger is around 30 now. Nahir is his name. Give him a tell if you want a fun guy to group with. He experiments with other characters a lot more than I do though."

I'm glad we got that cleared up.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 10:29:51 AM »
Heh.

Phillies catcher Todd Pratt runs a gaming site, although I can't recall its name offhand.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

L_Jonté

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 04:53:17 PM »
Will... resist... EverCrack...

Kiki

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 06:37:13 PM »
Resistance is futile.

A year or two ago, I was talking with a friend, who at the time was working for a company doing kids' games. She asked what I'd been doing lately, and I shamefacedly admitted that I was obsessively playing a CRPG (there are just some things you don't discuss in polite company). She said she hoped it wasn't EverQuest, because all the people she knew who played it were just irredeemably geeky, to the point where she couldn't stand to be near them.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: