Author Topic: Easy of use - romance bug fix bug  (Read 7169 times)

Aethan

Easy of use - romance bug fix bug
« on: November 18, 2003, 04:45:27 AM »
Every time i try to install the romance fix, i get an error and i dont understand what to do with it, here is what it says:

Installing [Romance: Bug Fixes (required for later components).]
Compiling 1 dialogues/scripts ...
Parsing #1 ease/romhap/rom/jagaluar.d
Parsing #2 ease/romhap/rom/jagaluar.d
Processing 1 dialogues/scripts ...
Copying 1 file(s) ...
WARNING: [ease/romhap/rom/AERIE_1.bcs.patch] is a 0 byte file
Copying 1 file(s) ...
!!! FAILED PATCH CHUNK:
ERROR: Cannot apply patch ease/romhap/rom/ANOMEN_1.bcs.patch (1 bad chunks).
ERROR: [ANOMEN.BCS] --> [override/ANOMEN.BCS] Patching Failed (Copy) (Failure ("Cannot Apply Patch"))

What can i do about this??????????

Gwydion

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 01:55:42 PM »
Even with v23 I still have the same problem.

Aethan

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 03:22:33 PM »
i tried to email weider about this, but i keep getting a message delivered failure. Seems i got no luck :S Plz can someone help me with this!!!

FredSRichardson

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 10:51:46 PM »
What other mods do you have installed?

As a work around, try installing the Baldurdash Anomen fix.  I tried to add that to this package, but it may not be working.

-Fred

Aethan

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 06:41:37 AM »
The funny thing is i tried to install this first, so i only had shadows of amn, throne of bhaal, the official patch for throne of bhaal, the baldurdash patch and the darkest day. That was all i had when i tried to install it first

FredSRichardson

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 09:25:27 AM »
The funny thing is i tried to install this first, so i only had shadows of amn, throne of bhaal, the official patch for throne of bhaal, the baldurdash patch and the darkest day. That was all i had when i tried to install it first
I bet it's the Darkest Day.  I've tested with the other mods you mentioned.  TDD must modify ANOMEN.BCS in some way.  That would break it.

GateCrash

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 02:56:31 PM »
For what it's worth, I tried to install the same mod last night, and received a similar error, but with Viconia as the one blowing bad chunks.  I also have TDD installed, along with (probably too) many others.  One of those, apparently, was a multiromance mod, as both Jaheira and Viconia were having their way with me to no end.

Well, that's not true--it was to some end, as Viconia recently decided that, what with the demon attacks and all, things just weren't going to work out between us.  Actually, that's one of the easier letdowns I've ever been given...but I digress.

I'd hoped the romance bugfix would finally stop my party's tendency to cha-cha across the screen (one-two-three, pause, one-two-three, pause, one-two-three, pause, cha-cha-cha), but sadly, now I may never know.

FredSRichardson

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 04:57:48 PM »
I have a feeling that any mod that modifies the romance scripts heavily will be incompatible with this mod.  Actually, even small differences can cause the patch to fail.  I never did come up with a good solution to that.  I thought of one, but it was too hard to implement so...

I no very little about TDD.  Do you know if it modifies the romances?  I hear that's a pretty big mod, and I'm not sure I want to try it out...

I'd hoped the romance bugfix would finally stop my party's tendency to cha-cha across the screen (one-two-three, pause, one-two-three, pause, one-two-three, pause, cha-cha-cha), but sadly, now I may never know.

You're having periodic pausing?  It's not neccesarily caused by the romance scripts.  It could be any number of other things...

GateCrash

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 05:45:22 PM »
I do, indeed, with remarkable regularity--every three steps my party takes (or roughly every second of real time), I get a momentary pause.  It only occurs when time is passing in the game (i.e., the cutscenes and other screens, such as the map and save game screens, work fine).

It appears to be a common problem, and as far as I can see, most people have traced their problems to one of four causes:

1)  Regeneration items.  I have the white ioun stone, and the lovely "Retribution" which boosts Korgan's CON into regeneration levels.  I tried removing both.  No luck.

2)  Haste or Blur items.  Unequipped all of those.  No luck.

3)  The Drow avatars.  Haven't made it to the Underdark yet, so no luck there.

4)  Romance scripts.  Now, I didn't deliberately install the multiromance mod, but one of the other mods that I did install apparently included it, and now I don't know which one that was, so I don't know how (or if) I can uninstall it.  I'd hoped that this patch would solve the problem for me; failing that, now that Viconia's romance has run its course, I would be happy to go back to being a one-woman man.  But I don't know how.

I was not initially asking for tech support, but if it's being offered...I would gratefully accept.

FredSRichardson

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003, 05:50:58 PM »
Out of curiosity, do you have a lot of stuff (i.e. a bottomless bag of holding full of tons of items?).  Try leaving the bag of holding (and any other bottomless bags) behind for a while and see what happens.

GC

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003, 07:09:55 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I do have a bag of holding (thanks to the expanded Thieves' Guild mod), but I wouldn't call it overstuffed.  I tried simply setting it down and walking away, but that didn't seem to help.

That brings up a more important point, perhaps.  For any of these fixes, should I see results immediately?  Or do I have to reload?  Walk until the item is offscreen?  Spin in circles?

EldritchEvil

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2004, 10:19:21 PM »
I have problems with the romance components too.

I'm using Virtual PC 6, here.  And here are the errors I get:

Parsing #1 ease/romhap/rom/JAGALVAR.D

[ease/romhap/rom/JAGALVAR.D] parsed

Parsing #2 ease/romhap/rom/JAGALVAR.D

[JAGALVAR.DLG] loaded

[JAGALVAR.DLG] saved   47 states, 75 trans, 1 strig, 16 ttrig, 3 actions

Copying 1 file(s) ...

[./override/AERIE.BCS] loaded, 32656 bytes

[ease/romhap/rom/AERIE_1.bcs.patch] loaded, 0 bytes

[override/AERIE.BCS] loaded, 32656 bytes

[override/AERIE.BCS] backed up to [ease/backup/21/AERIE.BCS]

Copied [AERIE.BCS] to [override/AERIE.BCS]

Copying 1 file(s) ...

[./override/ANOMEN.BCS] loaded, 39173 bytes

[ease/romhap/rom/ANOMEN_1.bcs.patch] loaded, 1955 bytes

[override/ANOMEN.BCS] loaded, 39173 bytes

[override/ANOMEN.BCS] backed up to [ease/backup/21/ANOMEN.BCS]

Copied [ANOMEN.BCS] to [override/ANOMEN.BCS]

Copying 1 file(s) ...

[./override/JAHEIRA.BCS] loaded, 57861 bytes

[ease/romhap/rom/JAHEIRA_1.bcs.patch] loaded, 5769 bytes

!!! FAILED PATCH CHUNK:

!!! FAILED PATCH CHUNK:

ERROR: Cannot apply patch ease/romhap/rom/JAHEIRA_1.bcs.patch (2 bad chunks).

ERROR: [JAHEIRA.BCS] -> [override/JAHEIRA.BCS] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Cannot Apply Patch"))

ERROR Installing [Romance: Bug Fixes (required for later components).], rolling back to previous state

[ease/backup/21/UNINSTALL.21] loaded, 61 bytes

Will uninstall 3 files for [SETUP-EASE.TP2] component 21.

Deleting [override/JAGALVAR.DLG] (to restore original game condition)

Restoring backed-up [ease/backup/21/AERIE.BCS]

[ease/backup/21/AERIE.BCS] loaded, 32656 bytes

Restoring backed-up [ease/backup/21/ANOMEN.BCS]

[ease/backup/21/ANOMEN.BCS] loaded, 39173 bytes

Uninstalled    3 files for [SETUP-EASE.TP2] component 21.

No other mods, just ToB installed.

FredSRichardson

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2004, 08:01:18 AM »
What version of Ease?  Do you have BD Fixpacks installed?

-Fred

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 05:02:33 PM »
Version 23, and no.  Should I?

FredSRichardson

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2004, 05:17:39 PM »
Hi there,

I thought I fixed this problem.  The Romance pack is supposed to install without the BD FixPack.  It'd be great if you could send me your .DEBUG file so I can get a closer look at what happened.

However, I think you'll ultimately be happier with the FixPack installed.  It fixes many things, even though some of these fixes might fall into the grey area of reinterpreting of how the game should work.  Heh, so, after you send me the ease .DEBUG file, go ahead and install the latest Baldurdash FixPack for SoA or ToB (depending on which one you have).  I think you'll be happy with it overall.

Oh boy, and make sure you un-install all WeiDU mods first!  Baldurdash does not come in a weidu form, it just hammers whatever files are there.

-Fred

EldritchEvil

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2004, 06:21:12 PM »
This was a clean install, and OK!  I have E-Mailed it to you.

Thanks for your help.  After this, I will uninstal EoU, install the BD pack, then reinstall EoU.

FredSRichardson

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2004, 09:52:42 PM »
Ok, that should work.  But let me know if it doesn't  :lol:  

EldritchEvil

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2004, 11:52:34 AM »
Alas, it did not.  I tried to play regardless (w/ BD Fixpack and everything but Romance from EoU).  I was fighting Vampires, and I told Minsc to throw his Azureedge.  Oddly enough, it looked like a normal throwing axe...  Then, Unexpected quit!  Failure has occured on so and so.

Hmmm.  Well, that isn't good.

FredSRichardson

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2004, 02:37:20 PM »
Oh wait.  Do you have the bioware patch installed as well?  That's pretty important.  Unfortunately, if you don't have it, you may need to do a full re-install to get things working properly.  The "usual" order of installation is somthing like this:

SoA
ToB
Bioware Patch
BD Fixpack
WeiDU mods

EldritchEvil

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2004, 09:03:41 PM »
Oh wait.  Do you have the bioware patch installed as well?  That's pretty important.  Unfortunately, if you don't have it, you may need to do a full re-install to get things working properly.  The "usual" order of installation is somthing like this:

SoA
ToB
Bioware Patch
BD Fixpack
WeiDU mods
Since I'm using the mac version, I assume all the Bioware patches are on.  However, there IS a MacPlay patch I should get.  Welp, time for another clean reinstall.

truec

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2004, 01:20:38 PM »
I've also had problems getting the romance bugfix portion os EoU to install.  I did a full reinstall of SoA and ToB, follwoed by the Bioware patch 24698, followed by the Baldurdash fixpack.  Then I started the EoU install, and everything was fine, up until it got to the romance bugfix, then, as before, it failed to work.

Copying 1 file(s) ...
Copying 1 file(s) ...
!!! FAILED PATCH CHUNK:
ERROR: Cannot apply patch ease/romhap/rom/ANOMEN_1.bcs.patch (1 bad chunks).
ERROR: [ANOMEN.BCS] -> [override/ANOMEN.BCS] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Ca
nnot Apply Patch"))

ERROR Installing [Romance: Bug Fixes (required for later components).], rolling
back to previous state
Will uninstall 2 files for [SETUP-EASE.TP2] component 21.
Uninstalled    2 files for [SETUP-EASE.TP2] component 21.
ERROR: Failure("Cannot Apply Patch")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-EASE.DEBUG to weimer@cs.berkeley.edu (http://www.cs.
berkeley.edu/~weimer/bgate)
Using Language [American English]

Looks to be the same problem everyone else is having.  I really wish somebody knew how to fix it.

FredSRichardson

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2004, 01:28:53 PM »
Oh wait...

Before you did a re-install, did you delete the old Override folder?  I seem to recall that the uninstall only removes the files it installs, so you can be left with a lot of crud in the Override area...

I'm not positive about this, and I hate to make you do another re-install.  If you want, I can e-mail you the Anomen.BCS file I get after installing Baldurdash FixPack.

-Fred

truec

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2004, 01:44:19 PM »
Uninstalling doesn't delete the Override... I really should have figured as much, I didn't but I should have.  It shouldn't take too long to reinstall at least, this time I'll be awake enough to switch CDs without triggering the oh-so-fun 'Please insert Disk 5' problem that plagues me so often.

So the process should go:

Uninstall SoA and ToB
Delete Override
Reinstall SoA
Reinstal ToB
Reinstall Bioware Patch
Reinstall Baldurdash Patch
Install EoU

In that order in order for it to work?

Alright, I can do that.  Good thing I didn't start installing all the other mods I have yet, that could have gotten ugly.

FredSRichardson

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2004, 05:38:02 PM »
As a quick tip, you can also do this:

Copy your Override folder and Dialog.TLK after installing the BP fixpack and save it somewhere you can find it.  (Something like c:\Program Files\Black Isle\bg2-backup).

Most mods only change the contents of the override folder and Dialog.TLK.  If you get into trouble, you can delete both of these and copy over the backup up ones.  Also delete the WeiDU.log file.  Then you can start from scratch if you have to.

-Fred

hlidskialf

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2004, 10:12:28 PM »
I also recommend you make backups of your chitin.key and baldur.ini files as well. Some mods modify these ones as well.  

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: